Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the Mile with Oyey in search of pike on Sunday. Weather was fantastic and we had our general area all to ourselves for an entire day. We drank some of Koldcut's superb homebrews, drilled, bullshitted, drilled some more, and enjoyed the beauty of that awesome lake.

We fishied from 6:30am to 2:00pm. We concentrated on 4 - 12 FOW. We fished steep walls, we fished structure, we fished flats, we fish points, we fished bays, we fished saddles, we fished weed lines, we fished transitions... we fished hard, boys. We had tipups out all day and we jigged spoons and tubes.

There were dink trout everywhere. They swarmed our jigs in many spots. We debated the potential merits/drawbacks of litte trout being around (concerning pike), and ultimately seeked out spots where we finally got away from them, but alas, no pike there either.

Only one pike came through all day and it wasn't big, but it crushed my spoon that was being twitched very slowly on the bottom in 8 FOW. It was in one of the trout infested areas at 7:30am.

Could be the doldrums of Winter. Could be pike are fat on the stocker fest in that area. We'll be back. Gotta keep grinding if you want the payout.

The Milwaukee Fuel with 7" Lazer setup had no issues chewing through the ice all day up there.

https://youtu.be/BulDW4SFBdk

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Now that is a report!

Sounds like a good day with friends(and their beer) and fishin.

My only question is, How many hundreds of pounds of trout did that pike eat to get to that size? :eek:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice report Tangler. Sounds like a typical day on that awesome lake. Friggin little slimers always getting in the way. Hope the pike are slaughtering the little bastards and putting on the weight for a great open water season.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Well, if trout were the goal, we would have been successful!!! ROFL! I had a blast and the weather was so nice. Walked a ton, moved a ton, just couldn't shake the stockers. Can't say enough about my new auger set up. I drilled about 45 holes on one battery with a 7" bit. The Milwaukee Fuel is a beast. Kinda surprised I didn't kill one full battery.

It kinda sucks when your only good picture is one of an auger and a beautiful background, but if that background is all I get for the day, I'll keep goin back. I love this state.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I would say the ice is 18"-20" in most places... Didn't actually take a measurement, so that is just a guess.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Just saw the video. That drill is pretty fast.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Nice job. Did better than me when I was up there last week.

All I managed was a dink bo and a polar bear plunge off those rocks by coyote creek. Guess I had to pop that cherry sometime. Didn't see **** on the vex off the other usual spots either..

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice report Tangler. Sounds like a typical day on that awesome lake. Friggin little slimers always getting in the way. Hope the pike are slaughtering the little bastards and putting on the weight for a great open water season.
Amen! That nuisance species needs thinning, that's for sure.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nice pike. better than how the mile does most. pike are easier to catch there on accident it seems...

arent there other fishes in the mile to eat besides bobos? baby carps, perch, smallies, suckers minnows and idk maybe other baby pike? or am i missing it and the guys are just joking that pike are bad?

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
or am i missing it and the guys are just joking that pike are bad?
The pike vs. slimer boys are always at each others throats. There wouldnt be giant pike in there without the stockers and there wouldnt be giant trout in there without the Pike-

Been fishing the Mile since 1989 and its always had big pike and big trout. If you ask me the DOW is managing the lake just fine.

So neither camp has anything to whine about other than to hear themselves whine!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts