Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new guy here. Just moved to Denver about 5 weeks ago from the east coast.  Been flying for almost 2 years but still pretty green. Caught my first Colorado trout Sunday below Spinney. It was actually my fisrt time nymphing here and my first cast...not bad but my expectations were crushed as that was the only one I caught over a 3 hour period. I've been fishing my whole life but have only gone fly fishing for trout maybe 5 times.

I'm looking for some good local places to fish. If there's anyone out there that'd like to take me out that'd be great. If you smoke cigars that's a bonus as I will provide the smokes. Also any recomendations of places to go would be cool too as I have no problem fishing all day by myself.

I'm fortunate enough to have a job that doesn't require me to do too much when were not busy so I've got lots of time to fish.

T

·
0 Posts
hey new guy - welcome to the board and to colorado. where from back east?

i would be glad to help you. where do you reside in greater denver metro? will make some difference in places to go.
send me an email and we'll get you going. i'd be glad to take you a few places. i can cut your learning curve by about a year - since that is all i have been doing since moving here in late 2003 myself from back east.

thom

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You picked a tough spot. The river below Spinny can be incredible or as you described. You may want to try the Arkansas. Fish are not as big but plentiful.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
McFish said:
You picked a tough spot. The river below Spinny can be incredible or as you described. You may want to try the Arkansas. Fish are not as big but plentiful.
I totally agree below Spinney has some nice fish but the pressure it recieves is crazy and the fish are very educated. So presentation and stealth are key.
11 mile canyon is a little better but can still be tough sometimes, I too would suggest the Arkansas river. They are finishing up on some great trout habitat in pueblo on the Ark, I didnt fish it last time I was down there but the rainbows were in high number atleast the ones I spotted from shore. I normally fish it up above Canon City and rarely get skunked but dont catch the same size fish as below Spinney.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Welcome to the board!

yeah, below spinney can get kind of technical sometimes and is a rough place to learn...ive been fly fishing for a long time now and it still gets me sometimes...well ok, a lot of times...

another thing---summers here and soon you can go up in the mountains and throw dries on some smaller creeks...big flies, eager brookies and cutthroats, and short casts---this is about the easiest place to learn how to flyfish. try some of the smaller creeks up near Brainard Lakes in July, or take a hike in Rocky Mountain national park...lots of water to fish up there, and its a good place to learn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome! The easiest place to catch fish this side of the Rockies is at Red Feather lakes, either West Lake or Dowdy. For a fly fisherman, a belly boat is really a good way to go, but there is plenty of room to cast from most of the bank. The trout start dimpling and jumping around 4:30 or 5 in the evening, but they usually hit pretty good even during the daytime. That's where I learned to bubble-and-fly, almost never without good results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts