1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Just yesterday Jim Rome had a lot of nice things to say about the Nuggs. He said the jury was still out as to whether they are a better team without Carmelo, but he noted that they are definitely playing a lot better without him.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Do you think they are a fav against Oklahoma City in the first round of the playoffs?

I think it will be a great series but the Nuggets are going to have a hard time even getting out of the first round......

Since the All Star break they have been impressive though. They are beating good teams on the road...... Their 2 loses are to Portland and the Clippers on the road and both were close games.......

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WW, I think OK is now the second best team in the west. I don't wanna play em. Other than them and LA, I like our chances...

Funk, I know Rome has given em some love. I just think they need to start getting a little credit... this last two weeks has been amazing... good fundimental ball. Fun to watch.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
It sure beats the February 7th home loss to Houston (108 - 103) where Smello had 50 points and ZERO assists...that right there told you everything that was wrong with this team...

I dont care if they lose in the first round as long as they give it up on both ends of the floor...

JR passing up an open 3 last night in the 4th to feed Al in the corner for an easy dribble and baseline dunk...thats what I am talking about...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I hope the press doesn't give us anymore love. I think the underdog role is perfect for this team. The "experts" saying no team can go deep in the playoffs without a "superstar" is bogus, and I think this is the team to prove that wrong. I also think its funny is the media wondering which player is going to step up in close game situations. A. Afflalo has already proved he can B. Don't you think it's a lot more stressful on other teams that they have to guard an entire team and not just Melo and Chauncy as the clock rolls down.

This is a great team and I'm betting not one team in the west wants to see this team in the playoffs. Including the lakers...... Not saying we're gonna win the entire thing, but this team won't lay down in the playoffs like so many other Melo era playoff teams did.

Go Nuggets, Go UNC, Go CU!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dieseldoctor said:
I hope the press doesn't give us anymore love. I think the underdog role is perfect for this team. The "experts" saying no team can go deep in the playoffs without a "superstar" is bogus, and I think this is the team to prove that wrong. I also think its funny is the media wondering which player is going to step up in close game situations. A. Afflalo has already proved he can B. Don't you think it's a lot more stressful on other teams that they have to guard an entire team and not just Melo and Chauncy as the clock rolls down.

This is a great team and I'm betting not one team in the west wants to see this team in the playoffs. Including the lakers...... Not saying we're gonna win the entire thing, but this team won't lay down in the playoffs like so many other Melo era playoff teams did.

Go Nuggets, Go UNC, Go CU!!!!!!
Well said.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I like the optimism but frankly history shows us that your chances of winning an title without mutiply superstars is very very low.

2010- Lakers- Kobe, Gasol, Bynum
2009- Lakers- Kobe, Gasol, Bynum
2008- Celtics- Pierce, Allen, KG
2007- Spurs- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker
2006- Heat- Shaq, Wade
2005- Spurs- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker
2004-Pistons- Billups, Hamilton, Wallace****
2003-Spurs- Duncan, Ginobili, Parker
2002- Lakers- Shaq, Kobe
2001- Lakers- Shaq, Kobe
2000- Lakers- Shaq, Kobe

**** This Detroit team is the only team you could argue won it without a true superstar but Billups was a pretty elite player and the team was absolutely elite defensively. Billups, Prince, and both Wallaces were elite defenders at their postions.

Still it shows that the Nuggets have virtually no shot at winning a title. They are scrappy and so fun to watch and I hope they can make a run but unless we have some emerging superstar (ie Lawson turns into Chris Paul and Nene turns into a young Duncan) all we can hope for is getting to the second round.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I think the history shows more how teams have structured themselves in the past. I can't remember seeing a team as deep as this Nuggets team without a player that needed the ball the majority of the time to make something happen.

This team moves and shares the ball like a college team with NBA size and talent. Not to mention the biggest offensive threat we got in this trade has only played two games. We're just scratching the surface of what this team can do with the way their playing.

The current Nuggets are going to shock some people come playoff time.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
waterwolves said:
... superstars ... Bynum, Pierce, Allen, Billups, Hamilton, Wallace ...
WW, I hardly want to make this post b/c it doesn't detract from the main point you are making (i.e. that the championship teams you have listed outshone the Nuggs on the 'star meter'). But just sayin' that I think your definition of "superstar" grows a little hazy with the names included above in your definition (my opinion). And a few others listed (IMO) only achieved that status by means of the presence of at least one other SS around them ("very good" though they no doubt were in their own right). 2¢.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Superstars?

Are they not made, through refinement and forged from hard work and sweat?

Superstars = winners. Keep winning, and the superstar status will emerge. But careful with that, superstars also want to get paid. ;)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Bynum is a reach but Kobe and Gasol are sure fire Hall of fame players. Bynum is very very good when healthy the problem is he is never healthy.

Pierce is a superstar that casual fans don't apprieciate but he is borderline elite offensively and very underated defensively.

Here is Pierce's advanced stats which are better at gauging his over all value.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Paul Pierce

To put Pierce's Value in perspective there are only 3 starting SF with a better PER then Pierce...........Labron, Durant, and Melo. Pierce is better defensively then 2 of those players.

Allen is not worth debating but he is a HOF player.

All the Pistons you mention I admitted were not superstars at least offensively. That team was absolutely elite defensively though. They held a Laker team to 68 points in Game 3 of the finals. That Laker team consisted of 4 HOF players with one of them being arguably the most dominant offensive force of all time.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
That pistons team was really good. Especially when you consider Ben Wallace for as good as he was on the defensive end of the ball was a huge liability on offense with his ugly shot, stone hands, and horrible free throw shooting.......But they still got it done. I'll never hate on the team that the prince of park hill won a ring with!!!!!

This Nuggets team is still great though, and who's to say we don't have a few superstars already. Ty Lawson should be on everyones radar for sure!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The Nuggets are 2 deep in every position, not many teams can say that. Gallinari is arguably the best player we got in the trade and he has hardly played. Plus we got a 1st round pick. Looking good. Nugs will be a tough out in the playoffs!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
waterwolves said:
Hall of fame players ...
Well, yeah, but again I think it gets back to one's definition of a "superstar". Yours seems to be anyone in the HOF and then some. Mine is kind of the opposite -- a select minority w/in the Hall (maybe even an exception or two).

In other words, here's an example: When I was a kid, the New York Knicks were very good and won a couple championships. Four of the players on those teams became HOF'ers, two of them being Dave DeBusschere and Bill Bradley. IMO (just mine, now) neither were "superstars". In fact I think one can debate their inclusion in the Hall, but that's a different discussion. Of course they were very good, but ... anyway. Also, take Scottie Pippen. Hall of Famer, right? Superstar? Not w/o Jordan. We could go on. (I was never even that taken with Charles Barkley, btw.)

My point is just that it comes down to definition. Yours is wider and much more inclusive, mine a narrower shelf. :)

But like I said, I think your overall point was pretty sound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts