Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roast pork shoulder

I hit upon a very good recipe for pork roast quite by accident. I am aware that there are a great many ways to prepare a pork roast, and that this preparation is likely very similar to many others. Nevertheless, I encourage you to try my simple recipe, as it has proved quite worthy.

SS

1) Obtain a pork shoulder roast with a good fat cap. The roast should be trussed for best results.

2) Preheat the oven to 275º. Prepare a spice rub with roughly equal parts garlic salt, coriander, cumin, and paprika (to taste.) A good addition would be whole black peppercorns if a more piquant dish is desired.

3) Apply the spice rub to the roast by hand. Rub in vigorously till the spice covers the entire roast in equal distribution. Now rub the roast with olive oil. Allow the roast to stand with the rub and oil for a half hour.

4) Heat a deep-sided cast iron cooking vessel such as a Dutch oven to a very high temperature. This should be done while the vessel is dry. When the oven is smoking hot, add several tablespoons of oil. You may wish to avoid oils with a low smoke point, though I have used olive oil with good results. Adequate ventilation is recommended!

5) With the oil in the Dutch oven, introduce the roast. Sear the entire outside of the roast, turning with a sturdy fork, and paying attention to all sides, and the ends. When the roast is seared, turn it fat-cap up.

6) Turn off the stove. Introduce several cups of an inexpensive red wine to the Dutch oven with the roast still in it. Add enough water to the cover the bottom of the Dutch oven about an inch and a half deep. This will be a variable quantity depending on the size of the pot and the size of the roast. Do not cover the roast with the wine and water mix.

7) Place the lid on the oven. Bake at a low temp for several hours. The end result should have the meat falling off the bone with very little provocation. A butter knife should work.

This makes very good tacos and sandwiches. A pork roast is just about my ultimate comfort food. Try this out and see what I mean. If any of you have any suggestions for improvement, I would love to hear them.

Cheers!

SS

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sswan,

I apologize, but I have no idea what you are talking about with this 95% solution question... :-[

The juice that results is almost worthy of injection to the jugular artery, but it would require additional thickening to qualify as gravy...

I might make a roux and stir the juice in slowly... it will thicken.

SS

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I rub 'em and sear 'em and cook some onions in the oil at the same time. Then I add chix stock/beer/water/bay leaves/garlic and cook 'em slow and low for hours. Same basic result, but I like the moistosity of cooking 'em covered.

Usually eat some with smashed 'taters and gravy the first night. The reduced liquid, thickened with roux makes the gravy. I don't find that pork bones provide that much flavor on their own, so the gravy is often augmented with whatever goodness I have on hand. Usually more chix stock.

Next day make snadwiches/tacos/ etc. with the rest of the meat.

I cook one at least every other week. It's good.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow I dont have to look up words very often but you did pull out a new one I hadnt seen...

Definition of PIQUANT. 1: agreeably stimulating to the palate; especially: spicy. 2: engagingly provocative; also: having a lively arch charm — pi·quant·ly adverb
The recipe sounds really good will have to try it...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You've discovered you like to cook. :) If you add that red powdered chili (chili rojo in the Mexican food section at the store) you can use that meat for tamales. Masa mix and bags of corn husks are in the same section. Great food for cheap -- there's a reason tamales are so popular. You can have your friends over and roll up a bunch, just follow the directions on the masa package.

W

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. I did a pork shoulder balde yesterday and it turned out like crap. I didn't think it was possible to screw up a shoulder roast, but I did. Don't know if it was the piece or meat or me, probably both.

I did 2 shoulders roasts a couple months ago for my son's baptism, very similar to your recipe. It was just outstanding. Those cuts came from a purveyor of meats, not Safeway though. Maybe that made the difference?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Captain America said:
Thanks for the recipe. I did a pork shoulder balde yesterday and it turned out like crap. I didn't think it was possible to screw up a shoulder roast, but I did. Don't know if it was the piece or meat or me, probably both.

I did 2 shoulders roasts a couple months ago for my son's baptism, very similar to your recipe. It was just outstanding. Those cuts came from a purveyor of meats, not Safeway though. Maybe that made the difference?
Yeah safeway meat, is just barely good enough to eat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts