Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the big fall trip was to Gunnison. After much deliberation, this years trip would be to the Glenwood area less two members, plus two new ones (I stll love this site!).

The tale starts Friday morning, my gear packed the night before.

Up early, ready to go.... and then a stank smell from the basement gets my attention...three hours later, the septic guy is leaving, and I am set to pay 3k for repairs to my leach field... I have burned at least half of my first day of fishing and I am stressed... Silent Light is waiting for me in Breckenridge and texting me pics of fish! I get on the road and finally get into Breck at 2:30 pm (not before I stopped on Hoosier Pass and took a 45 min nap)....

The Blue through Breck is beautiful, but very low. Fishing was tough, but SL managed one decent fish late in the afternoon.

SL and I departed after a beer in the parking lot as he was not able to join the rest of us for the Glennwood fishing. Early Sat I met up with Tangler and Human Cannonball and we were off to an unknown property to camp and fish. Rumor is there is a river and a few ponds. I was armed with rods from 1wt-6wt, not knowing what to expect!

As soon as we arrived the scene was amazing. The light coming through the trees was a color only fall can provide and we all were gitty with excitement.

The weather was perfect, the air tasted crisp, and the flask was full. I was armed with a 6'10" 1 wt, the others with simmilar, slightly heavier creek rods. We all started with big dries, and I had a dropper. The creek was juicy looking from the get go!

I was looking for bugs, and found this little guy. I am no expert, so I don't know what this is, any ideas?

The first half hour, I struggled. Tangler and HC both caught a couple fish including some browns that I thought were large for this size water.

I followed suite and caught one which someone else has a pic of. Then we reached an area I thought surely would hold fish... HC was approaching the sweet spot and I started the video. This is the best video I have ever taken on the water. It was just such a magic moment. We were all in such great moods. Loving the scene, the fishing, and of course, the rum! I hope you enjoy watching this as much as we did! Pay attention to the reactions we have when the fish is landed. All laughing and smiling ear to ear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Il7RyFdID8

We stood there for a while just laughing and talking about the moment. It is one I will never forget.

As we moved higher, the brookies showed up... colorful and aggressive.

Next it was Tangler's chance to be a video star... This little brown faught with an attitude...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQbx51RB2k

There are tons more pics to come from Tangler and HC of the first day of fishing. I am sure they have better still pics as my skillz are lacking. As we walked back down to camp, there was less conversation and more amazement at the scenery and day we just had. Double digits for each of us, nearly all fish caught on big dry flies!

I took this picture just to prove there WAS a cloud in the sky!

A few others joined us Sat night and the drinks were plentiful. Sunday morning the old guys (me and HC) were up early. We made some noise thinkin we might wake the sleepers, but after a cup of coffee, we weren't about to wait too much longer. We headed downstream for a short AM session. The fish were eager and again, plentiful.

After a nice breakfast we caught up with the others and fished the upper portion of the creek. This was steeper area higher up..... and the Cutts showed up. I caught one that is likely the prettiest fish I have ever caught. I am sad the pics just don't show the soft hughes of this fish. Like a fresh peach.

HC and I fished together all day Sunday and while we walked back to camp, we talked about how nice it is to fish with folks who understand what it is about. We never had any problems fishing in groups of 2 or 3 even when the water was so small only one person would be fishing at a time. It was almost as fun watching as it was catching. The color green on the walk back was especially noticable... ;)

We all met up at the bottom of the hill for goodbuys and a quick recap of the day. While most were headed back to the Boulder area, I had a 5.5 hour drive back to Pueblo... and a Monday that work would not be a part of!!!! BACK TO FAMILLIAR WATER!!!

I pulled into Rincon on the Ark below Salida at about 9pm. After several whiskeys, I decided I needed to adjust my vehicle to a more level area for sleeping.... With the back of my van open, I backed up and BANG....OOPS, TREE!

The next morning after a quick breakfast, I fished the Ark... and she was so nice to me. The bows and browns were super plentiful all the way back to Pueblo. Stopped at 5 places all of which produced fish.

I could not ask for a better long weekend of fishing. The scenery, the fish, the company and of course the fact that I was away from the stresses of work/life. Thanks guys, that was simply perfect.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Oyey summed it up pretty good. More pics:

Start it off with a video of Oyey C&Ring a brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7xrPGdXJD4

Oyey brown

HC's fish of the weekend!

Bacon anyone?

Getting a ride miles into seclusion. I have no doubt these fish have never seen a fly. Maybe some of their ancestors did once upon a time...

It was all tumbling pocket water up high. That's where the CRCTs showed up.

This was one of those trips that provided visuals that I will never forget. good times!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Beautiful pictures!! Pretty little stream.

Gotta love Fall in the Colorado mountains!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Slimer said:
Looks like you hippies had a blast. Sucks about the van Jason... But, a little something something to remember that weekend by.

Rob
Haha, how true! You'll be the only guy who can reflect on a dent in his car with a smile and good memories :D

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, there was something about this trip... just so right. It was slow, and quiet. The moments were defined more by the energy than the fish. I could tell everyone in the group, even those who didn't fish, had the same feeling of contentment. I can't seem to get the visuals out of my head, and I have read/looked at the report over and over reliving the time.

@ Dozer, I use an Olympus stylus 1030SW, but I like Cam's camera better. He gets much better stills IMO. Also if you notice in my video, there is a click in the sound. I cannot figure out where it is coming from.

@ Slimer, I just found out a used tailgate for my van is $650!!! OUCH... I got it to close and lock, but water will get in. Looks like replacement is in my future. I think I can find it cheaper so I will look around first.

@ Silent Light and Slowdown.... You guys really should have joined us... no matter the drive! I know it is tough with work/family though... you were missed.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Oyey said:
Also if you notice in my video, there is a click in the sound. I cannot figure out where it is coming from.
I was having a similar issue w my UW camera when I first started taking videos too. The culprit of the sound turned out to be the little plastic bead that tightens the loop around my wrist swinging and ever so slightly bumping the camera... I also notice that if I shift my hands or move my fingers around AT ALL while filming it comes through as really loud banging and thumping.

My guess is that sealing cameras from water results in the microphone picking up really low frequency sounds and vibrations while struggling to pick up voices. All you can do is try to be conscious of this and don't change your grip or fumble with it at all while filming and see if that helps. But the bottom line is it's a small drawback to the bonus of waterproofing!

@ Silent Light and Slowdown.... You guys really should have joined us... no matter the drive! I know it is tough with work/family though... you were missed.
X2!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
What a great weekend!!!!!! ;D

First.....thanks to Cam and Nick for making this happen, and if Jason and Tonya happen to see this....I can't thank you guys enough for sharing the place with us!!!!

It was awesome fishing with all of you....good to see you Ryan and great to finally get to fish with Oyey!!!

Here's a few more pics from the trip!

The Blue on the way out.....

Then to the good stuff!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Sunday.....

Up early with the other old man! :D

Oyey bendin' that 1wt!

With this....love the spots!!!

Some nice Brookage...

Oyey wasn't about to let physics get in his way of landing this one!

Worth the struggle!!

We kept moving up and I was SO stoked when I caught my first cutty of the day! Browns, brooks and the cutties in a little over a mile of stream!!!! ;D

The mean mug!

Thanks again guys!!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome guys!! That is a very nice set of pictures...

D.J.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I know that stream you were fishing on I think in the pics after the blue river...at least I think I do. I've caught the grand slam (brooks, rainbows, browns, and cutts) there before...the rianbow is the toughest to get (rare/big/smart).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts