Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my new 4wt outfit out for a test drive on a small stream full of brown trout. I have been fishing this stream the past two years with a 5wt GLX and doing fine but wishing I had something a little lighter. I picked up a TFO Pro series 4wt and matched it with a Cortland Embassy 60 reel and a SA Mastery Trout wf4f. It made a huge difference!! This rod is made to cast dry flys. It hits 30-40' casts effortlessly with outstanding accuracy . . .and a little hauling will send out 50+ feet, easy. The line casts fine and presents the fly well, but the tip sinks . . .on the first day out!!??

Most fish I caught were 8-12" but I did have a run in with a solid 18" brown that did what browns do in small streams . . .took off downstream and found some logs to wrap up in. I have had this happen on several occasions. I knew it was going to happen so when the fish blazed past me and under the log I just gave him some slack and expected to go retrieve whatever I could salvage of my leader. To my surprise, he was still on and shot farther downstream as soon as I pulled on the leader. He went under another log across the stream but this time I shoved my rod under the log and grabbed the leader on the other side. By now the fish was tiring enough that I hand lined him in and got my fly back.

TFO Pro series 9' 4wt - just what I have been looking for as a small stream/dry fly rod. Really outstanding for $139

Cortland Embassy 60 reel - this was my first day out but this little reel ticks like a fine watch. Can't wait to see how the drag handles bigger fish.

SA Master trout taper WF4F - umm, why does it sink?

TP ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where did you pick up the 4 wgt? I'm in the market for either a 3 or 4, and was considering a st. croix out of cabelas.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How did you attach the leader to the fly line? Is it via one of those new loops? Not sure that the braided material used for those loops actually floats or not. I use Orvis Wonderlines that I get off of eBay for around $30. They're slightly better but also tend to sink during the day. I carry a handkerchief that I dip in the river to wet then run the line through it to clean off the dirt and scum. Sometimes I have to clean the first 6-8' about 3-4 times before it comes clean. Then it floats pretty well again. You might want to give that a try. Oh, I use a needle knot to tie the leader to the fly line and then epoxy the knot to keep water from wicking up into the fly line. Seems to work OK.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
And I've only heard good things about TFO rods. Nice to get yet another confirmation and I'm in the market for a small stream rod myself but was considering something in the 7'6" or 8' range.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the rod through Feather Craft online store but $139 is the full retail price and TFO rods can be found just about anywhere . . . including cabelas.

The line has 18" of 30lb mono nail-knotted on the end and then a loop to attach a full leader. I wonder if stepping down to 20 or even 15lb would help keep it floating?

If you like Sage rods you will not be dissapointed with TFO. Lefty Kreh (who helps design TFO rods) helped get Sage up and running back in the day.

TP

·
Registered
16,570 Posts
Unless you want stuff to sink,id start the leader with 10lb mono,many times I use 6lb spliced to the fly line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'e got two TFO's,They are outstanding escpecially for the price,TFO also just came out with bait & spin-cast rods, See Bret at Absolute Angler in Arvada. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts