Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit up the same place as my last trip and set up in a deeper spot as before. Used chicken liver and cut bluegill. Livers got a few hits then the stupid "w' word showed up and made it hard to fish there with the white caps and such. I moved spots and it was game on for little cats, I was out of bait in about 1hr and landed a bunch of 10" to 12" catsfish and one that was about 16", so nothing of any size today. Caught tiny bass and tiny bluegill and a baby bullfrog also. The theme today was little guys, but it was lots of fun. I'll try here again soon.
Just wondering, if I'm catching lots of little catfish am I in the wrong spot for bigger fish? Or do they hang out in the same areas?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
That frog is badass.

Little fish eat little baits on little hooks.

Try a 7/0 circle hook or 4/0 Kahle with a bluegill head or panty-hose stuffed with 3 whole chicken livers... Just smaller than a tennis ball.

You will not catch small cats.

As for the proximity to larger fish, I am not sure on that one. Big cats take up the "best" structure in a pond or lake and the little ones do not... If you're constantly into "fiddlers" and bait-stealers, I'd move. But I am not an expert.

BTW, that bullfrog is badass... Don't know if I mentioned that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using 4/0 Gamakaksu octopus hooks and a whole chicken liver, and a whole 5" bluegill that I stepted on to make it bloody with guts hanging out to spread the scent.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I too have been on a search for catfish and have been failing miserably, on a side not I have found a ton of new bass spots! That bullfrog is sweet the other day when I was fishing a small pond and I could see a bullfrog swimming towards my bobber, I twitched it and the thing launched at my bobber and took it under for a good 2 seconds I pulled up and the frog jumped up and spit the bobber out. After that I started casting my frog and at one point I had like 8 frogs chasing my frog across the pond lol, that's what happens when you aren't catching any fish...:biggrin1:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I was fishing some ponds one night a long time ago....and was catching cookie cutters for 3 hours......then I caught a 10 lbr......funny thing is.....he hit almost identically to the little tiny cats.....he just sat over it and sucked it in and spit it out over and over until he pulled a little too hard and I hooked him...(back when I was using J-hooks). So I'm not sure about little cats hanging with big ones all the time....but they were hangin' that night.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Next time, fish the whole gill live.

Don't listen to Opry...a 4/0 circle is way more than enough for any good sized cat.

I don't like livers, they don't seem to produce big fish. Crawlers and other live baits are better cat bait IMO.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next time, fish the whole gill live.

Don't listen to Opry...a 4/0 circle is way more than enough for any good sized cat.

I don't like livers, they don't seem to produce big fish. Crawlers and other live baits are better cat bait IMO.
You bring up a good point. Most of my big cats have come on using live bait. And who likes to deal with chicken liver, its such nasty ****, it was working for me the other day. I had multiple doubles on, BUT they were all little guys. I'd trade 'em all for a nice sized cat though.
So I've found out that there is a good amount of catfish at This place. Now next time I'm searching for the bigger fish.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It all depends upon the time of the year. Chicken Livers are a great bait right now..water's warm and it's a blood bait..Channel cats love chicken liver..no matter their size. True..if there are a lot of small cats in the lake..you'll be baiting up a lot..aggressive little buggers..but sooner or later if there's a big cat around..he'll find your bait. Caught 13 of these little buggers the other night..no decent cats..but the time before, I caught 12 little buggers and than one at nine to ten pounds..I don't mind.. keeps me busy.

Little Buggers..

In the spring, I like minnows using a number 6 hook under a bobber. Hook size should just match the bait used. The mouth of a cat is easy to hook..much harder to unhook..I don't use any ought (sp) hooks. Largest I ever use is a size 1. It will hold a half a liver which is plenty of bait. If you want to use it with a dead or live bait such as a blue gill..just rig up a quick strike rig with two number one hooks. And no circle hooks. I just slide one hook up on the line and tie the other on to the end of the line. In the fall, it's back to live or dead bait..dead three inch shad are killer at that time of the year when the shad start dying off.

As far as panty hose..never wear it.. er...use it.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i caught a 24lb cat at p-lo in the last walleye tourny on a #1 slow death hook lindy rigging. sure had a bunch of other teams hoping it wasn't a walleye i had on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts