Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
The U.S. Justice Department will no longer attempt to defend the constitutionality of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act.
However, it is not really dead, as stated in the thread title. It is still on the books and still active, whether the Justice Department attempts to defend its constitutionality or not. The Supreme Court can presumably declare it unconstitutional (assuming it chooses to) but until then it still stands, and various federal concessions, entitlements and benefits are still unavailable.

I really do think some kind of civil union that is federally recognized is the way to go. One of the few things (VERY few things) I agree with Obama on. And actually, heterosexual couples who disagree with the religious basis of traditional marriage might choose to go that route, as well, if it were available.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
The U.S. Justice Department will no longer attempt to defend the constitutionality of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act.
However, it is not really dead, as stated in the thread title. It is still on the books and still active, whether the Justice Department attempts to defend its constitutionality or not. The Supreme Court can presumably declare it unconstitutional (assuming it chooses to) but until then it still stands, and various federal concessions, entitlements and benefits are still unavailable.

I really do think some kind of civil union that is federally recognized is the way to go. One of the few things (VERY few things) I agree with Obama on. And actually, heterosexual couples who disagree with the religious basis of traditional marriage might choose to go that route, as well, if it were available.
Well said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts