Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we were supposed to head to GM with elkdeerbear, after hearing that i70 was closed, they were gettin up to 20inches we decided not to risk it...... also called master bait and tackle for info, dont bother calling them, that lady was PLAIN RUDE. i was really itching to go so we decided to hit gross.

So after all i have never cought a mac before and never evened fished for them, Having a couple laker coaches and all the knowledge gained from U's2btwistertails reports and help i was sucessful after 2 hours of not getting a bite. we fished the south osprey ramp and man that lake is way down.... didnt know it was denver water. ice was 7-8inches and the water was crystal clear.

we started out in the cove in 50ish FOW- only one bump on a kasty and 2 waxies, nothin else. finally hit the channel there as benson and his buddies were catchin, it was odd- 30 yards from shore and we were fishin 85 FOW+. i was at 87 and 10 yards away it was 40ish. after stirring up the mud a bit on the bottom and lifting up a foot i landed one. to my amazement today we all were more successfull on kasty's and pimples with suckermeat, the tubes in all colors had little effect. i had no issue settin the hook with the line i was using at 87 FOW, had to burp a few as well. got a fat one as i popped my laker virginity.

and no, his belly wasnt big from the air, i gutted him at home and he had a 6inch fish inside his belly all decayed. that was too cool to see, i dont see how this fish was even still hungry LOL

i didnt happen to take many pics cause the wind put an edge on us today it and nothing size wise worth a pic snapped a pic of 73 hookin up and one of a nice buck on the way in (james style :p)

and a thankyou again to everyone who went and showed me how catch mac's. (tj, tim, 73, benson)

Tight Lines
Team Genocyde

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Congrats on catching your first laker Pat. My friends told me they ran into you guys out there today. Glad to hear you found some fish and had some action. It sounds like it might have been a slow day today overall, but as long as everyone had some action, it's all good!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Pat congrats on the first laker!...welcome to the mafia...they are a sick bunch!!...I know first hand...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
never had laker before, gonna cook em up tonight. dad says "pew." what fish does it most taste like?
IMO It is dry and kind of boring... Only had em out of lake Michigan though.
Way to skip the trout and catch a mac. :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It was a great time! Met two older gentlemen At the gate when we where unloading, Met another fella from North glen who go's by Willis on CFF, Fished with Grumpie Gills, 73fishermen, horanimal, and TJCO...

I also caught my first Mac lake trout to day also..... Horanimal & TJCO gave me a lesson on how to fish and set the hook at deep depth's.... Then I finally figured out a rytham that worked best for me!

I had most luck on a white skirted yellow tail power bait tube jig tipped with sucker meat, Same setup I used at Wolford ..... I caught one other on a kasty and hooked up with one that pulled my pole in the hole clear to the real! Was big, and lost it half way up!

On to the next lake!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The lakers I've had out of Jefferson, Twin Lakes and Blue Mesa taste good. As far as Green Mt. Res. goes, I guess the fishing and weather gods don't want us to meet up there. ??? Thats 4 times we've tried to fish Green and the weathers killed us everytime. Nice pictures Pat. Glad you got your first laker. Went to Elevenmile this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I wanted to and so did my buddies! But I made a prior commitment to meet up with Grumpie and 73 fishermen!
My friends said it's nonstop action for Lakers at GM and know the lake well! I'm going to make it up there before it ice's out!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
never had laker before, gonna cook em up tonight. dad says "pew." what fish does it most taste like?
Listen to your father...with age comes wisdom...

what fish does it most taste like
...the answer to that is Salmo trutta the porcelain runway subspecies...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I was going to say...

Salmo trutta the porcelain runway subfeces...

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ill let u know here in about 2 hours. i dont like bass at all. "pew"

i had no prob settin the big jighead with trilene xl 6lb at 85 today, on one i burried it through the roof of the mouth, carefully got it out and got him back in. did see TJ catch a couple 7-8inches ;D but those will prob get eaten. mac's are pigs. TJ had a 15-16in one and it had a skinless 9 incher hanging out its mouth plus the jig. couldnt believe that. no sighting of trout or muskies today either

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
they r kinda like catish, meat is more tender and doesnt flake like a rainbow, i like it- notm half bad :) so yeah z- i eat poo ;)
Comparing them to catfish is a travesty...actually to each their own...congrats again on that first laker...that is the important part!...

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys- i took my trout rods and they did fine, there is no way that they could handle a real sized mac, looks like i need some new gear  ;D i shoulsd just bring the 4' 6 ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts