Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just curious. What's the weirdest game meat y'all have eaten?
My weirdest is frog and I've tasted alligator steaks from down south before. Not that it tastes bad, just weird. Oh..... Pronghorn meat is kinda weird too... And squirrel. But like I say.... "I'll eat it."

Hmmm... I don't think I'll go as far as snakes and turtle though. Weird is weird, but some things are just too weird. I've heard of people eating rattle snakes before out in the west. Actually, I've seen it on Discovery channel.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
247 Posts
we caught a rattle snake one time down in phantom canyon and ate it for dinner. Taste exactly like chicken, or was that spotted owl, cant remember.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fishingkats said:
turtle is good
just like a turkey you have dark and you have white meat

the other white meat               ninja turtle
Hmm.... If someone tricks me, I might like it afterwards. That's how I got into frogs.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jeremycallahan said:
we caught a rattle snake one time down in phantom canyon and ate it for dinner.  Taste exactly like chicken, or was that spotted owl, cant remember.
LOL!! I hope it wasn't the spotted owl. As for the rattler, it looked good all cooked up and steamy on the plate when I saw it on TV. But man o man...... It'll take a lot of guts & balls for a city-boy like me to bite into that.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
We had Texas rattlesnake we got 2 years ago while hog hunting, had it at hunt camp over a open fire during elk season the same year. Got to tell you it was pretty darn good.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i have had snake before. i'll eat it but only fried. boiled is nasty. mmmmm frog legs. Turtle i ahve never had but have heard that it is good. I just finished the alligator gumbo my dad made. used alligator sausage and ground alligator. squirrel, i have eaten it jsut dont remember it. Something i have had adn liked a lot was kangaroo. that was tasty just cant find it cheap. very tough. i think rat, mouse, dog, or cat si going to far. horse is unacceptable. here is something for y'all to think about, cattle. Look at cattle farms. the cattle spend the last weeks of their life stuffed liek sardines in an enclosure. living in their own feces. that is not what i tend to think of as nutritious.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had horse meat in France and Denmark, kind a good but salty, it was like a lunch meat. Ate frogs I caught before, kind of like fishy chicken. Tops for me would be Uni, which is the male reproductive tract of a Sea Urchine. Now that stuff is good. God Bless Sushi Den!
Craig

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
My cousin and I ran away when we were like 14. He shot a woodpecker, and we ate that. Couldn't have been to bad or to good, cause I don't remember the taste. Also had Aligator. At the Gatorland in Florida. They were giving out free samples, and I think we had it for lunch after.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The weirdest game meat ever eaten?

Tough call, my nephew's in-laws have an annual banquet. They serve anything and everything that they kill during the year. They have samples of bear, beaver, opossum, skunk, turtle, badger, pheasant, quail ............. if its legal to kill and present in Minnesota they have it. You don't know what you are trying until after you taste it and ask.

Makes it hard to avoid "broiled skunk"

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I dont know if i should be allowed to post on this topic, ive been to too many military related survival courses so it might be considered cheating lol

bugs...lots of bugs. they all taste the same to me...bitter and kind of nasty.
goats of various shapes and sizes.
frogs. well, thier legs. minnows too...like the kind that look like bait.
camel. a rare treat i was told at the time, i thought it tasted like it smelled. also sheep cooked in the same pit--- it didnt taste like the lamb chops you get at the store, either.
i tasted beaver once...very fatty and nothing but dark meat. not too my liking. the same with opossum...dark, kind of greasy. racoon..id rather look at them that eat them, but ive tasted them before also.
turtle(s) snappers and sliders...tasted the same.
other than that the usual small game stuff..squirrels, rabbits, birds, ect ect.

i went to a thai survival course once, they made a strange fermented concoction out of 134 plants (give or take a few, i cant remember exactly) they gathered in the forest. very potent stuff. i found out the reason they made it was the more you drank, the less you cared about what you ate. i watched a buddy of mine eat a live cicadia...a very large one. it was buzzing his mouth before be bit it--- i needed several swigs of the "thai survival potion" after witnessing that.

strangely enough, ive never eated a snake...so much for being called a "snake eater"

·
Registered
247 Posts
by the way, i was just kidding about the spotted owl... I'd never eat or kill an endangered animal, especially owl's, eagles, hawks... any bird of prey, they are too cool.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not only the weirdest but the best! A friend's uncle went to Arizona and did a mt lion hunt and we tried some mt Lion Steaks - delicious. From what I recall it cooked up like pork chops - you know how they turn white when cooked. It seemed like i read somewhere that the Lewis and Clark journal describes Mt Lion as their preferred meat when available. Followed closely by elk and bison.

I've also had snapping turtle, frog, racoon, alligator. GOT to trim the fat from the racoon or it is NASTY. Most of the time the racoon would be boiled up and fed to the hounds that helped chase em up a tree.

I'd try rattlesnake if I had a chance.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Jack in the Box when they where still around, some kind of meat on a stick when I was drunk on a beach in mexico and Spam which covers all meat known to man.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
id eat racoon and perhaps mountain lion, but man i dont know about Jack in the Box....youre gross dude.

Actually i dont think theyve killed anyone in awhile....must not be serving ecoli burgers anymore...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts