Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boat out today to Cherry Creek. Trolled and mapped out the shallows. No bites but........trolling from south to north to the cement part of the dam....me and MacRick got lots of big fish signs on our fish ID so we decided to still fish. I was using a worm harness in orange/green spinner and a little dobber of striped power bait on the hooks. I was using my cheap Zebco 88 and my 5'6" one piece boat pole. What a mistake! The fish that took my bait completely bent my pole in half. I thought it would break and quick quick, I gave it some line but I could not get him reeled in. I do not know what kind of fish he was but he was pulling so hard that I could not get him reeled in. I think he was about 15' down and he pulled one last time and he was gone. I still had my hooks but they were wiped clean of all my bait. Must have hooked him in a place where he could get away. What kind of fish can do that kind of pulling? Must go back with better pole and reel!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it was a big cat. It wasn't a trout because it didn't even jiggle my pole. It just took it and ran with it. It took me about 5 minutes to get him close enough and then he pulled one last time and then he was gone. Do cats act like that? I have never caught one before.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Really it could have been anything. Trout, Bass, Carp, Cat, Walleye, Wiper. Id say CC has all those listed that could put up a fight like that. My guess would be Carp though.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
VolFan said:
I'd say it was a 4-inch bluegill. Trust me, go with that, it'll save you time, money and sleep in the end..
Haha, I agree. :p

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My vote would be carp, also. My son caught a big one out there this past summer, man did it run. You can usually tell if it's a cat, because it sorta "rolls" alittle bit, especially if you're vertical.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Carp, Wipers, and Cats all pull like that. Steady hard pull with powerfull runs. I hooked a 20" wiper this spring while slow-trolling and it ripped my rod out of the boat nearly. The reel caught on the gunwail. I was sure I had hooked some log or something. I would pull the tip up, then reel down, and pulled my boat (canoe with motor, actually) backwards like I was snagged on something, until I started to feel slight give, and eventually realized I had a fish. That's a wiper for you. 12" wiper feels like a 20" trout, but with less jiggle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts