Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried this indicator and used the recommended way to attach it to your leader and it breaks about every half hour. Is there a better way to attach it?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
put a u bend in your line, slide the u through the hole in the thing-a-bobber and put the u over the top of the bobber and pull it tight. I've never had an issue with it, use them all the time on my wife and kids rig... think im going to attach a hook to the pink one as they try to eat it alot.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
How? Elaborate further...

I use them ALL the time and attach it the same way ePiC does. Never have I had the leader break it's like 30 lb test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like to pull it over like the directions say. after i pull it over i make a twist in the loop, creating another loop and then pass that loop back over the bobber, like a half hitch. You end up with two loops around the base of the bubble and it prevents the from sliding around on the leader, especially on smaller diameter leader or tippet/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ePiC I do it the same way and it breaks all the time, by the way I use 5x, I'l try again. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
oldjim said:
ePiC I do it the same way and it breaks all the time, by the way I use 5x, I'l try again. thanks guys
The only time I've had them break is when I try to adjust my depth by moving the thing up and down the line with out getting it nice and loose. The line will cut right through it. Is something like that happening to you? Other than this situation, I've never had one break, even with a lot of tension on the line.

I rig like Epic described.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
You can try using rubberbands... Just take a rubberband, tie it to your leader and to the thing... this is great for more than one reason... 1, you don't kink your leader which, to me is huge, 2, you can move it easily 3, the line naturally rides just below the water which to me keeps you in touch with the flies easier.

I don't know anyone else who does it like this... easy to carry a few rubber bands.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Been using them since before they hit the open market, I have never had one break the leader ?? Even IF I was crazy enough to ever use such small leader, I always attach at the but end which is much thicker anyway. Of course, I only use them when nymphing deeper than I can see, if it is shallow, DUBBN makes me not use indicators >:D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What brand of leader material are you using?

S

·
0 Posts
are you using ONLY tippet and no tapered leader ? I dont see how they could ever break unless something is very very wrong.

Instead of using bobbers, throw on a nice big edible dry fly !

·
Registered
541 Posts
frankfurter3 said:
I forgot.................................what is red amnesia again?
A colored piece of monofilament that people sometimes use as a strike indicator, especially with the european leader setups.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Eastcoastangler said:
frankfurter3 said:
I forgot.................................what is red amnesia again?
A colored piece of monofilament that people sometimes use as a strike indicator, especially with the european leader setups.
You walked right into that one ECA....

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use the thing-a-bobbers fairly often and the only problem I encounter is them sliding on the thin parts of leaders. My way around the sliding problem is with rubber bands; but, I cut a bunch of 1/2" - 3/4" long pieces of rubber band and slip one of these pieces into the U, that ePiC described, just before pulling it tight.

I've also thought of trying to tie on a hook also since fish hit it sometimes and the rubber band piece makes 2 buggy legs. Now they even have a small cheaper version of the thing-a-boober for tying to flies to make them unsinkable.

S

·
0 Posts
if you are using a bobber that far down the leader, take the dang thing off - your in dry/dropper or high stick water at that point. no need for an indicator at all at those depths ( 4-5ft or less)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah, use a rubber band like the others say. Wet it before you do any adjustments and it won't break. I make my own yarn indicators. I have used the thingamabobber (or whatever the name) and prefer the yarn. Just my own taste. You can get a real nice kit at the BQ. I have used the system for years and seem to catch more than I did with the thingy.

Anyway, if you are fishing low clear water use the dry dropper like others say or learn to sight fish. It works.

·
Registered
342 Posts
master of the fly said:
Silent_Light said:
if you are using a bobber that far down the leader, take the dang thing off - your in dry/dropper or high stick water at that point. no need for an indicator at all at those depths ( 4-5ft or less)
X2...You should be able to see the flash of the fish at that depth..if the water is clear that is.
- point taken(s) - it's been a hard habit to break though I have been free of the indicator using hoppers and other dries with a dropper.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
finally, they call it what it is, a freaken bobber. cracks me up how the elite flyfishers feel they have to call it a "Strike Indicator"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts