N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hate:
vests
Simms g3 waders
mercedes suvs
dogs that don't stay out of the water(mine is always well behaved)
people who get dressed up in thier g3's and their patagucci vest to fish bear creek...when its 90 degrees
Arrogance(just because a guy has a spinning rod in his hand doesn't make you better than him, you jerk)
size 26 dryflys
7x tippet on a 20 degree day.......when its snowing
Brad Pitt
People who have a T&T with an abel reel and G3's and a mercedes, and couldn't tell you what a bluewing olive looks like, or what fly to use during a hatch, to save thier life. People like that should spend more money on books than rods.

love:
salmonflys
late afternoon hatches
tricos
wildlife
running water
a sip of gin at the car just before you embark on a mile trek through 2 feet of snow to toss feathers and hair into a river on a freezing morning
the fact that most women think we are nuts for doing it
big fish
little fish
clearing your head
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
Washington
good friends
new friends
getting out of this ever expanding city(sometimes not though)
rekindiling my love for this state, its rivers, and thier inhabitants.
thats it, sorry if I offended anyone, just a rant.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more really good one to love:

catch any fish on flies you tied vs. store bought!

one more really good one to hate:

not enough time to fish

but your list is awesome

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more "hate"-

That every year those size 18 and 20 dry flies get harder to see!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Love: riffles
                    nymphs
                    a tug at the end of your line
                    outfishing arrogant jerks with a cheap cortland rod, $20 fly line
                    and a $30 okuma reel

Hate:
                     trying to tie stupid little flies on invisible tippet that instantly
                     gets tangled or breaks the fist time you cast it

constantly slipping on rocks
                     All of the things previously mentioned.

I have to admit that after starting flyfishing this summer, I had some decent success and enjoyed catching the fish. I still enjoy spinfishing more and maybe always will. I really don't dig the flyfishing culture for all of the reasons mentioned above. I don't want to wear a certain 'uniform' and be a part of some snotty clique to feel accepted...man. it's like junior high!

I will go out of my way to piss those guys off, but at this point, I like throwing crazy colored goo-gaws for bass more than an invisible piece of lint.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sorry, not restricted to fly fishing but maybe you can relate:

Hate:
Jigs with hook eyes painted shut.
Tying knots in 2 lb. test line.
Toilets at SWA's with no toilet paper.
Casting into a strong wind.
Picking up other people's fishing trash.

Love:
Warm sunny November days on the water.
Seeing a released fish go streaking away.
Looking at the bottom through crystal clear water.
Watching a bass inhale a popper.
Seeing a little kid catch a fish.

·
Registered
174 Posts
nogooddrtytroutbum said:
hate:
mercedes suvs
dogs that don't stay out of the water(mine is always well behaved)
people who get dressed up in thier g3's and their patagucci vest to fish bear creek...when its 90 degrees
Arrogance(just because a guy has a spinning rod in his hand doesn't make you better than him, you jerk)
People who have a T&T with an abel reel and G3's and a mercedes, and couldn't tell you what a bluewing olive looks like, or what fly to use during a hatch, to save thier life. People like that should spend more money on books than rods.
Holy cow, I didn't know there were flyfishermen like you NGDTB!! I salute you! It sounds like you're one of the rare fly-guys (like a few of my favorite fishing partners) who could go out fishing with a bait fishing buddy, and still have a good old time cuz you're out there for the right reasons. Oh yeah, if I ever see a flyfisherman wading in a river wearing shorts I will take a pic and post it for sure!! :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
farmer ted said:
Love: riffles
                    nymphs
                    a tug at the end of your line
                    outfishing arrogant jerks with a cheap cortland rod, $20 fly line
                    and a $30 okuma reel

Hate:
                     trying to tie stupid little flies on invisible tippet that instantly
                     gets tangled or breaks the fist time you cast it

constantly slipping on rocks
                     All of the things previously mentioned.

I have to admit that after starting flyfishing this summer, I had some decent success and enjoyed catching the fish. I still enjoy spinfishing more and maybe always will. I really don't dig the flyfishing culture for all of the reasons mentioned above. I don't want to wear a certain 'uniform' and be a part of some snotty clique to feel accepted...man. it's like junior high!

I will go out of my way to piss those guys off, but at this point, I like throwing crazy colored goo-gaws for bass more than an invisible piece of lint.
hey man, when i started i think i bought a $50 set and yeah it was cortland from wal mart, and i did just fine on it, still use it as a crappy rod to pack places that are rough, and without it i wouldnt have gotten into flyfishing, but i know u meant no offense, but everyones gotta start with something

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree with this. It is sad that an elitist attitude has come over flyfishing (ever since "A River Runs Through It" came out, they say). It seems like we could treat people more equally no matter what your gear looks like. When I go to most flyshops, I feel uncomfortable -- sort of like I feel when I'm asked to go to a fancy dinner for work -- and it just shouldn't be that way. However, I do like the Two Guys Flyshop in Lafayette (which I was glad to see featured in the CF magazine) -- those fellas treat people well. I also admit to owning some pretty nice gear that I purchased many years ago, but I still treat people with respect.

I have to say it is still important to remember that people may surprise you and outward appearances are often deceiving. I remember one time at a Karoke bar a nerdly looking guy (plastic framed glasses, straight laced appearance, etc.) took the microphone and I thought to myself, "Oh no, what are we in for here -- can this guy carry a tune?" Then, to my surprise, this same fellow blasted into a high-energy song from Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf! It was excellent! It was one of the best renditions of that song I had heard and I was just stunned because of how it differed from my expectations. I hope everyone gets a personal lesson like this at some point in their lives.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken Broeren said:
I think he meant he was "outfishing jerks" with HIS $50 setup...not jerks with a $50 setup...
my bad, i misread it, i take it back, but yay for the guys who start with cheap gear and become successful fly fisherman, like me, hehe except i wouldnt call myself successful yet...

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have my 30$ setup from kmart. wear shorts and sneakers and of course my coloradofisherman.com hat. i get some really funny looks. a 260 lb redneck. haha but it is another way to catch fish ;D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
farmer ted said:
I will go out of my way to piss those guys off,
Not quite the Angler's Code, is it ? :p
I don't do anything obnoxious ken...I wont throw rocks in the river or fish right next to them. It's more of a passive pissing them off by not playing along with their game...I might wear a nasty old t-shirt with a fannypack instead of a vest or cheap hip waders instead of some $300 jobs and they look at me like i'm a mutant. I think it's hilarious.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Only run in I had with flyfishers happened a couple weeks ago.  I was fishing a pond that had bass and trout by Lyons.  A cadre of flyfishermen piled out of several suv's and began slapping the water.  As I walked by my car they asked what I was fishing for...I said bass and they smirked

Im sure there are plenty of awsome flyfishers who are not snobbish...im looking forward to being one in the near future...

This might be a discussion about class and not about fishing........

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dan said:
Wal-Mart Flyfishing Combination $30

Used waders (patched) from a garage sale $5

Box of Flies boaght at same garage sale $2

Out fishing the guy who spent $2000 - Priceless!
This is Great Dan!

I don't understand why or how they can get a fly reel to cost $250+ ...I also saw a fly vest at a shop this summer that was $200! There was a lady who was browsing the store and we both looked at this vest and went...huh?

On a similar note: I worked in bicycle shops for many years and we'd get the types who would come in and buy a $3000 mountain bike and 'uniform' and every doo-dad you could think of and then ride the bike around on the paved trails at 8mph dressed up like a world cup racer.

I'm sure every sport/hobby/pastime has these types...you just have to laugh.

I guess if you want to spend money to look like you know what you're doing that's ok...no harm done. It's the attitude that drives me crazy.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
farmer ted said:
I'm sure every sport/hobby/pastime has these types...you just have to laugh.
That is so true. You have to have $400 worth of special clothes to go jogging around the block every evening. You have to go out and buy a Hasselblad to take pictures that don't begin to compare with the ones my mother took with her Brownie box camera. You spring for a Porsche that has no nobler function than to get you to work and back every day.

But fishing, now..... that's different.....

Do I need a $400 rod with a $350 reel? Oh, hell, yes, of course I do. Need you ask?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
love:
they release most fish
many are more knowledgeable and you can learn more from than many lure anglers
most give anglers plenty of personal space
hate:
the ones that think they are better than you cuz they are flyfishing and you are spinfishing
the ones that use like 2 pound or less equivalent tipup and fight trout so long they succum to metabolic acidosis and perish
the guides that give you dirty looks on the lower colorado around glenwood and on the roaring fork river

1 - 20 of 46 Posts