Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody nymph with a 10ft rod? Maybe a 4wt/3wt for typical trout situations where you might have used a 9ft 5wt/4wt before? Wading isn't as easy as it once was and am thinking another foot of rod might make up for my diminishing wading range. It should also add more mending control?

Am not sure of my usual technique...european, spanish, french, czech, or egyptian...probably a combination of them all, but I rarely use a bobicator and typically nymph with 7-10ft leader with two flies, often weighted. Am thinking of a typical fast(?) action trout rod, just longer and lighter. Don't necessarily want a rod specifically designed for any specific technique mentioned above - more of a "general" nympher?

Any ideas/comments/experience? Rods?

TIA, JGB

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I've used 8'6" to 10' rods for lots of applications. Personally, for any Euro style nymphing, 10' is way better.. You have a longer reach and casting precision isn't a factor. For casting an indicator rig, where you might need to mend a lot and have very accurate casts, the 10' rod will be tougher to use, BUT it can be done and frankly, if you can get away with it and be accurate, you will find the longer rod is better at fighting big fish and easy to get that extra distance on roll casts.

One thing I do rather often is nymph fish with no indicator... not in close, Euro style, but rather, sight fishing with a long leader, tiny flies and no indicator. This technique is TOUGH with a long rod. This takes absolute precision and I actually usually use an 8'8" rod that is soft and accurate. Tailwaters demand precision and the longer rod will haunt you in those circumstances.

The one thing I would suggest is paying the extra cash for a light rod. I have one long rod that is taxing because it's a cheapy and it just wears on the arm/shoulder. So if you go longer, chose one of the lightest you can afford.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the input Oyey.

Sometimes I nymph in close with very little line out my tip, but I usually will have a bit of line out the tip and some in my non-rod hand for extra distance. I will fish varying distances with leaders of 7-10ft, no indicator. I will work upstream thru a riffle or pocket water and fish where I can reach and/or get a good drift using any and all casting methods. I'm thinking that a longer rod will increase my target zones and increase my drifting/mending ability?

If I understand you correctly you are saying that you find sight/delicate fishing easier/better with a shorter rod? I was thinking that stealth is more easily performed from a relative distance with a longer lighter rod that can accommodate lighter leaders and smaller flies?

Thx for the advise on weight, hadn't thought of that.

Cheers, JGB

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have been fly fishing for the better part of 34 years but still consider my nymphing skills to be marginal at best. Whether close in or some distance out I very rarely use any strike indicator and usually just use one fly. Lake fishing however I normally use a two fly set up.

However, whether lake or stream fishing, the difference between a light rod and a heavier rod is tremendous. If I am fishing for pike, or bass I normally use my 8 wt rod whereas trout fishing I use my 5 or 3 wt rods. I have several 5 wt rods and two 8 wt rods. The lighter rod in each weight makes a world of difference on how long I can cast and fish. All things being equal I will always go with the lighter rods. May cost a bit more but it is worth it in the long run if I plan on fishing all day.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
JGB, you seem to high stick a lot.. longer is simply better for that. For stealthy fishing, like tailwaters, I def use a shorter rod, longer leader and my goal is precision. I roll cast more than back cast and i'm really not high sticking at all... Im casting and mending. That is easier for me with a slightly shorter rod. I've fished my 8'6" but I definitely feel a little weak with it. 8'8" Scott G2 is my tailwater rod and it's soft, accurate and delicate.

The type of fishing you are describing seems super appropriate for a longer rod.. Let us know which direction you go and how it turns out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
10' 5wt is a good high stick nymph rod. Gives you the reach and, if needed, the ability to lob some rigging. As Oyey stated, shorter on the high pressure tail waters, as the longer rods are less forgiving, and stealth is easier accomplished when you're not running a rod through the fish's window of view; hence a shorter rod. I own a 10' 5wt Sage ESN. It offers the backbone I need for larger fish yet protects 6x tippet with ease. The 10' 4wt I think falls short on backbone when fighting quality fish and you may find yourself, like me, cussing the evening thermals. Just my $.02

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have caught more fish (and all my biggest fish) on my 10' 2wt than all 11 other rod's combined. I strictly euro nymph with it. Though before I bought a euro line I had a 4wt line on it and I could cast dry flies and indicators with precision. Mending is amazing, with the longer length you really have a lot more line control. My favorite and most productive rod for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx all for your input, I'm convinced!

Think I'm going to go with a 10ft 4wt. My concern is that these nymphing specific rods seem to all have a soft tip as they are designed to be fished with little or no fly line out the tip, just leader? I'm not sure that will work for me as I will fish with a rods length or two of fly line out the tip, mending the line to position drifts(non-bobicator) - the main reasons I'm looking at these rods is to improve my reaching and my line mending abilities. Am not sure a soft tipped rod will be good for mending fly line?

I will look for one of the usual suspects in the med/fast action rods, but in a 10ft length. A non-nymphing specific rod as I will use a variety of casts while fishing, not just flipping/flopping leader upstream. For dries too when the opportunity arises.

Yes/No?

Thx, JB

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to get a slightly faster rod than usual.. in a 4 or 3 wt... Especially considering what you are talking about doing (a bit more line out). I typically fish a med fast rod... I am not a big fan of fast rods in the 9' range... but with the longer rod, you can get away with it. If you fish the way you've described, I bet the 10' rod ends up being your favorite.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the Czech craze everybody wants to go indicatorless, and I understand. Feeling a strike instead of anticipating/seeing a strike is more addictive. However, with an old school loomis 10ft glx 5 wt, I have been able to mend a line and fish a full bend down from me on the dream stream (way back at a time when every hole didn't have 3 anglers waiting for it). Often it is good to be subtle, and therefore more productive to not be standing within a few feet to yards of a lunker. A soft tip here would not be the greatest. BTW, my favorite boat rod for lakes or pounding streamers at the banks off a drift boat too.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I'm not sure if you bought a rod yet. I had a 10'3wt Syndicate rod. I very high quality rod for a fair price. ($324)

It not only excelled at euro nymphing but was great for all forms of nymphing and dry flies too. The extra reach for line control is way more than you'd think for an extra foot on length. Have no fear about mending. It was the best mending rod I ever owned.

Another advantage to a euro rod over just a 10' rod is the taper. It has the soft tip for sensitive feel but a butt of a 5-6wt rod to haul in big fish. Don't think of it as just a 3wt. The only part that's 3wt is the tip. it will give you feel and protect light tippets but the rod has the power of a 5-6wt rod. It will cast farther than you can cast a 9' rod. For an all around rod, a 4wt line works well.

The only disadvantage to a 10' rod is in getting the fish in the net but it applies to all 10' rods. A longer handled net helps.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I thought i'd try it again. I just bought a Moonshine Epiphany 10' 6" 3wt euro rod.

We'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have caught more fish (and all my biggest fish) on my 10' 2wt than all 11 other rod's combined. I strictly euro nymph with it. Though before I bought a euro line I had a 4wt line on it and I could cast dry flies and indicators with precision. Mending is amazing, with the longer length you really have a lot more line control. My favorite and most productive rod for sure.
11 other rods! I thought I was a fishing addict! That's awesome.

To the original poster, I love Euro nymphing, while I do not do it full time, I go back and forth with it when I'm fly fishing throughout the day. I prefer no indicator when I fly fish but a lot of time I like to make sure my fly color line never hits the water so i put a 9ft flouro leader. my 9ft 5wt does a decent job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All-

It's been a while! Have moved to Bozeman and kinda lost track of CO, so I checked the board out of curiosity - as MT has no such board, that I can find anyway - and felt I owed a follow up...

Purchased a 10ft 5wt Orvis Recon, and love it. Purchased it for nymphing the name rivers around here, might buy a 4wt for the smaller rivers. Rod has been a fantastic nympher, increasing my fishing radius and control hugely. Paired with a double taper line for better roll casting and line control/clearance, the rod has been everything I have hoped for. I use it as a general nympher, not for one specific nymphing technique. Strongly suggested buying/demo-ing one.

Since it is winter here, I have dry flyed with it only once -mainly out of curiosity, didn't feel comfortable as it seemed to much of a rod to use for dries on a river. Would work would work great from a float tube though.

Cheers, JGB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts