Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...... but it got away. What was it like knowing you had a big fish on the end of your line only to lose it. I'd love to hear your experience tangling with a monster fish. What happend?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Yes yes I have
Check the braggin board... Hooked one before that one and OMG it worked me like no pike has, EVER! I have caught a good amount of big pike. I was SAD
Super sad, kept grinding and 10-15 min later I caught the one in the pics. Over 20lbs so it helped with my sadness but it will be hard forget the one I lost.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Yes yes I have
Check the braggin board... Hooked one before that one and OMG it worked me like no pike has, EVER! I have caught a good amount of big pike. I was SAD
Super sad, kept grinding and 10-15 min later I caught the one in the pics. Over 20lbs so it helped with my sadness but it will be hard forget the one I lost.
Plenty of big carp in the Mile, Kurtis. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Lots, but the biggest was no doubt the time I went 33 miles out of Homer Ak Halibut fishing with mywife"then girlfriend" I had about a 3' king Salmon carcass on a double circle hook rig hanging about 10' off the bottom in 130' while I fished herring on the bottom on the other pole, all if s sudden my 130lb braid line was smoking off my reel and never slowed down,all 400 yards, my gal was sleeping in the cabin and I didn't have time to do anything other than watch my reel get smoked, when I started getting very low on line I tightend up the drag till it finally snapped. A few of the locals I told about it said it was most likely a salmon shark or a 300lb + Halibut.
The next day I went to the same place but there was 4 of us this time my brother and sister in law were along, it was a rough day for my 22' Thunderjet in 5' waves but we anchored up and I set up a similar king carcass as thr day before and go go fishing, we hook a 160lb Halibut that I have no problem reeling in and then miss a second run on another salmon rig. Then my 95lb gal hooks one on her herring that she brought in while my sister spotted her that ended up being 90lbs that had my Salmon head in its belly from the miss when I cleaned her.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I was at Pueblo Res, night fishing from a point I like... During this period, in early to mid November I believe, the water was pretty cold and I was fishing from the point, to two sides of this island. I hooked into something that totally owned me. I had on 20lb braid tied straight to the lure (jointed shad rap, in Tennesee Shad color I believe). This fish left. I mean, it left. And I was helpless. My buddy had gone home about 15-20 min prior. The fish eventually moved around the island, where I could feel it, but it was stuck in something, likely a few trees or wrapped in a rock or something. I was SO tempted to swim to try and get it loose, but being alone, I decided against it. I could kinda feel something pull, but didn't want to kill a fish I wasn't gonna land.. I pulled until the line broke... This one haunts me bad. I got sawed off by what felt like a big pike this year too... stayed down, moved super slow and broke a leader I knew was gonna break before I hooked the fish!!! How bout you, kid? Where's your story.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Ice sucks
Have hooked some decent fish in the ice
Broke a big laker off (no idea how big) but no true true trophys

·
Registered
765 Posts
About 14 years ago I was at Gross simply casting Power Bait from the shore. I swung and missed on what was probably a small rainbow. That ripped the bait off and I was just retrieving a bare hook when I apparently dragged it across the back of a BIG tiger. It was not much of a fight. At first I thought I had snagged another line that had been broken off. This fish just came to the top of the water to see what was going on. I took a quick look at her and about crapped my pants! That fish was every bit of 4' long and THICK!! Once she saw me she took a quick thrash yanking my little hook loose from her flesh and leaving a line of foam in the water. I literally trembled for at least 20 minutes after that. To this day I have never landed a tiger. Now pike, that's another story!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
About a month ago I was fishing a spot and I throw out a mister twister about 10 feet in front of me and immediately something took it, starting pulling drag fast and had my pole bent in half and 3 seconds later it was gone. Only seen my pole bent like that a couple times this year with catfish, which I don't think this was.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I won't forget about the pike at Sanchez through the ice that spooled my Abu 6501 on the 4th run. An old timer that was there told me there were some 40 lb catfish in there and he though that's what I had.. I also will never forget the monster brown I lost at the shore at BM. I had it to the shore twice before messing up bad on the third attempt to grab it and my line snapped. I swear that brown was pushing 20lbs.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
For some reason I cannot remember a single time I had a big fish on and lost it..... I don’t know if my mind has blocked out the instances that i had or if I have just never lost a big fish :/

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Only two of them...both involve my quest for a 20 pound wiper...the first a decade or so ago at Aurora when wipers were a lot more prevalent...like many of the previous stories I was by myself...most thought I was nuts for going that day...shore fishing on the dam...winds were gusting over 40 mph...straight into the dam...the waves were huge...it was May a warm day I dressed head to toe in gore tex...for those of you that havent been on the dam there...it is terraced concrete...it still fell like if I slipped and fell I would drown...but when it gets like that out there with that direct wind out there fishing can be crazy and you always have it to yourself...well I hooked the fish on four pound line which helped for aurora's spring creek wipers (yes they can be line shy the only place I have seen it)... the water is gin clear water out there and even with the waves unless you are in the corner of the dam there isnt a mudline...not sure how long I fought the beast...surviving the first 40 yard run in what seems like 2 seconds is critical and the the twisting bulldogging runs start...they twist and turn and you can feel the line scrape across their armor plated gill plates...I had a net...a big net I always carried a net for this fish but again by myself and 4 foot waves I thought I would get him on his side and surf him on the top of a wave and into the net...the first two times to the net he still had vim and vigor and I swung and missed...hard to power surf a big fish on light line and control him totally if he has any fight left...the 3rd time he was whupped...on his side and surfing as much as I could with four pound line...he is lined up on top of a wave straight at the net...like an airliner on approach...nose up line straining and a foot from the net the hook pulls out and the fish turns flicks its tail, dives and swims away...I can still see that fish in my mind's eye...lol I was a lot more immature then...the rod some how survived a Z fit...I have caught a lot of them in the 14 and 15 pound range with my biggest at 18 and change...I got 3 great looks at this fish it was my coveted 20 pounder...UGH!...within a foot...

the other one was Cherry Creek Labor Day 2 years ago...my only hit that day on a blade bait...only this time he was mine I had braid and a heavy leader...got him in once and backed off saw him and thought I had him and he made a surprise run...my line popped...I never break fish off even with light line and I do it with kite cord?!...Holy Mother of God!...

Those are two on my list that haunt me...

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
A 10-12 lb Brown on the Miracle Mile. Last cast of the weekend- My dad and a couple friend on the bank yelling lets go when I hook the beast and he b-52's outta the water straight at me and spits the lure lure hits me in the chest. They all go OOOOH, that fish hadta be 10-12 lbs nows lets get outta here- Prolly 1981 or so I still see it

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Lost several big lakers from shore at Granby. Some got into the stumps, others just kept going and going and going and I had to squeeze down on the spool to finally break them off and save some line.

They never slowed down. Nothing like being the only person on Columbine Bay and to stand there on my rock with the drag singing in the breeze with no hope of ever getting it in--

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
1982....Mid June, Channel between Upper Gull Lake and Gull lake outside of Branierd Mn.
We were 'bar hopping" with the boat and The Wives were with Us. 3 couples in My cousins 18' boat. The Sun had just set, it was about 9pm.
As We were leaving the Main Channel and entering Main Gull lake, I had tossed out a # 13 Gold Rapala and immediatly get a BIG strike... Of Course, I'm yelling to my Cousins, "get the net" They all were laughing and didn't believe I had anything but weeds.... I thought it was a BIG Pike, but No... it was a HUGE Muskie, at least 45".... got it boatside just as My Cousin Steve lunges at it with the net and scares the piss out of it. It got into some shorleline rocks that lined the egress out of the channel and that was that....
Everyone just kept saying how BIG that fish was as I reeled in the slack line.
All I could say was.... "next time... GET THE NET!"

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I was on the bank of a back slough of the Deshka river AK King Salmon fishing with roe. I had a tiny bite, set the hook and it was "fish on" this fish jumped clean out of the water at least 5 times and looked to be 5' long. There was a boat out in front of me a ways and he hollered in at me "You'll never land that one" As soon as that fish figured out what direction he was going he took off, I chased him down as far as I could and stood on a point as he took everything. I actually thought about jumping in the river and floating down with him.

I've lost lot's of big Kings on the Rivers, when 40+lb salmon have the current with them theres not much chance of stopping them.
When the big Kings were on fire in the rivers there was nothing like it.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Damn you guys..... These stories are killing me!! I'd still have nightmares if anyone of the above stories happend to me, lol. Hell I may have a nightmare tonight about your lost fishes LMAO

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
As much as I hate to admit..
I've lost numerous VERY nice fish because of LAZYNESS/ STUPIDITY on My part..
No excuse....
Bad knots; not being attentive; over-excitedness; panic; etc, etc....
Made up for a few of them lately, BUT.... I always wonder about THEM fish?
Especially when I fish the waters where the stupidity occurred.. :-[

1 - 20 of 24 Posts