Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,592 Posts
Lots, but the biggest was no doubt the time I went 33 miles out of Homer Ak Halibut fishing with mywife"then girlfriend" I had about a 3' king Salmon carcass on a double circle hook rig hanging about 10' off the bottom in 130' while I fished herring on the bottom on the other pole, all if s sudden my 130lb braid line was smoking off my reel and never slowed down,all 400 yards, my gal was sleeping in the cabin and I didn't have time to do anything other than watch my reel get smoked, when I started getting very low on line I tightend up the drag till it finally snapped. A few of the locals I told about it said it was most likely a salmon shark or a 300lb + Halibut.
The next day I went to the same place but there was 4 of us this time my brother and sister in law were along, it was a rough day for my 22' Thunderjet in 5' waves but we anchored up and I set up a similar king carcass as thr day before and go go fishing, we hook a 160lb Halibut that I have no problem reeling in and then miss a second run on another salmon rig. Then my 95lb gal hooks one on her herring that she brought in while my sister spotted her that ended up being 90lbs that had my Salmon head in its belly from the miss when I cleaned her.

· Registered
3,592 Posts
I was on the bank of a back slough of the Deshka river AK King Salmon fishing with roe. I had a tiny bite, set the hook and it was "fish on" this fish jumped clean out of the water at least 5 times and looked to be 5' long. There was a boat out in front of me a ways and he hollered in at me "You'll never land that one" As soon as that fish figured out what direction he was going he took off, I chased him down as far as I could and stood on a point as he took everything. I actually thought about jumping in the river and floating down with him.

I've lost lot's of big Kings on the Rivers, when 40+lb salmon have the current with them theres not much chance of stopping them.
When the big Kings were on fire in the rivers there was nothing like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.