Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 2, 2011, 9:32 AM EST
John Elway is ready to run the Denver Broncos’ football operations.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Elway and the Broncos have reached agreement on a deal that will make Elway an executive VP of the team. The Denver Post reported all week that Elway’s hiring was imminent and wrote Sunday morning that Elway will get the title of VP of football operations. That’s the same title Mike Shanahan held in Denver when he wielded ultimate authority over everything Broncos for more than a decade.

Former G.M. Brian Xanders will reportedly answer to Elway and Schefter reports the first order of business for Elway will be to try to hire Jim Harbaugh from Stanford. (Wonder if Elway has any connections there?)

Everyone around the team insists this is more than a P.R. move and Elway will truly be running the show despite no NFL experience

That’s exactly what has the rest of the NFL smiling and nodding

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure what to think. It looks as if Bowlen has passed the reins ...the Reign...to Elway. Hope he can handle the job.

Elway really loves Luck and Harbaugh. I hope today isn't the last we see of Tebow. A Tebow to Carolina plus a swap of first round positions may be in the works..Hope not.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Elway really loves Luck and Harbaugh. I hope today isn't the last we see of Tebow. A Tebow to Carolina plus a swap of first round positions may be in the works..Hope not.
I love Tebows's game and attitude...but I would do that deal in a heartbeat...Elway is the only person that would be allowed to do that and the fans may not lynch him for doing it...and just cuz he was a great QB doesnt mean he will be a great GM...time will tell...but it will beat one guy doing both...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zman said:
I love Tebows's game and attitude...but I would do that deal in a heartbeat...Elway is the only person that would be allowed to do that and the fans may not lynch him for doing it...and just cuz he was a great QB doesnt mean he will be a great GM...time will tell...but it will beat one guy doing both...

Yeah, that was just me thinking out loud. It puts Tebow down south where his popularity would be out of this world, and it brings in a coach, and his quarterback, to the Broncos..

.Here's the post article on Elway.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16990740

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I sure hope we can get Harbaugh in here! He is one heck of a coach!
sswan said:
Harbaugh might be taking over at Michigan.
I would think that if he was offered the job at either Denver or Michigan he would accept Denver. I would like to see Wade Phillips in as D coordinator! It's starting to look like Bowlen is gonna do the right thing this time around! With Elway here, the Broncos are more likely to bring in big name free agents. This move will help right away! The NFL would be happy to see Elway back in the game. It could be a win win for everyone!

Jim

·
Registered
844 Posts
If old no.7 runs the Broncos I predict epic failure. The way the fans in this state have elevated him to god like status will do nothing but produce a bunch of yes men in the organization because Elway could call out mindless lynch mobs against the governor if he wanted.
If it happens you better pray Johnny makes all the right calls because nobody will be willing to cross him and trash their career.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
If old no.7 runs the Broncos I predict epic failure. The way the fans in this state have elevated him to god like status will do nothing but produce a bunch of yes men in the organization because Elway could call out mindless lynch mobs against the governor if he wanted.
If it happens you better pray Johnny makes all the right calls because nobody will be willing to cross him and trash their career.
My question is how can you truly mean that! He has been successful with everything he has taken on! His dealerships, the Crush! He is a hard worker, and a very smart business man! JMO!!!

Jim

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I think BIG JOHN will do a great job, he has expierience running the show, and if he doesn't know something, he WILL surround himself with people that DO know about it. It is a big risk to his rep... but hey, this guy doesn't care about that so much as restoring HIS pride and HIS franchise to respectability. You don't think his juices will be flowing again? Of course, he'll need a little luck, and quickly.

AND.... What has happened to the little punk, mcd? he sure has been laying low around here, hasn't he? I say we all hunt that piece of S__T down and you know... oh, not really, but.....

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm all for it-especially in the sense that it actually puts the correct structure for personell moves/draft choices and doesn't leave it 100% to a coach. Especially an inexperienced one!!! That is the single biggest problem with the little Doosh.

And don't look now but with Charlie Weiss looking @ moving to the college ranks that would make room for little Doosh as OC @ KC despite the finger pointing from the KC coach earlier int he yr. Strange yes, but it would make sense with all NE and Cassell history in KC.

Sure would make for a nice rivalry once the Broncos get back on track!

·
Registered
844 Posts
My question is how can you truly mean that! He has been successful with everything he has taken on! His dealerships, the Crush! He is a hard worker, and a very smart business man! JMO!!!
Thats just my point, this is the big time and Bon Vovi isn't his competition anymore and it doesn't take much to run a car dealership when you are worshiped.
He was a fair quarterback but that is a million miles from running a whole team.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The truth of the matter is we dont know how he will do in the big leagues...this isnt the crush...but he does have a wealth of business knowledge and he is a coaches kid...the other downside he wasnt exactly a mensa graduate when it came learning the playbook so how hard will he work on that side?...

·
Registered
724 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Thats just my point, this is the big time and Bon Vovi isn't his competition anymore and it doesn't take much to run a car dealership when you are worshiped.
He was a fair quarterback but that is a million miles from running a whole team.
Fair?
What a rediculous statement regardless if you liked him or not. I can't stand Peyton Manning but it's pretty clear he is a great QB.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I believe this is some of your fears.

·
Registered
844 Posts
he was far better then a fair QB!
Fair?
What a rediculous statement regardless if you liked him or not. I can't stand Peyton Manning but it's pretty clear he is a great QB.
On new years some of us were watching the special espn was showing on quarterbacks and the term great caused me to think. How many great QBs have there been over the years and what made them great.
By each of us calling our favorite great do we dilute the pool somewhat?
I don't know if Elway fall into that for me, that's all.
My point still is his ability to transcend his field abilities and not become some offensive micro manager that won't be able to find a coach or qb to work for him. He brings a lot of charisma to the table and has big time recognition but that is from him being no.7 not being the boss.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
U.S. As an Elway worshipper, I must admit that I too am nervous about his success It is hard to come "home" again and bring success. I hope he does awesome and restores us to greatness. I do think this is the right move!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
First it will be the Elway announcement on Wednesday

After that happens, a new Head Coach will be named in the near future.

When the new HC is named, it will show some of Elways 'off field talents' - dontcha think?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts