Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still using the first one I learned on and I want to upgrade to something that is a tad more functional. I've looked at the 720, Nor-Vise and the Dyna-king and so leads the discusion of the perks of what I want. It's just like anything really, use what fits you but for now I'm interested in the opinions of those that have been doing this for a spell. So, if money was no concern what vise would you use and why.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
bells and whistles 720 all the way. Or you could go with the $1,000 renzetti if $$$ is no object

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silent - thanks for the link for the old posts. I tried finding it before I posted this and then gave up and started this one. I just checked out the C&F and I will agree with you, it would be a lot of fun just to play with thing.

720 - After you and I met last year, when I bought your 4wt, I have been looking at the 720 pretty seriously. One of these days we need to hook up so you can sell me on it.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
hey man, just a bit of ad"vise"!!! ;D

I think the first decision to make when you are vise shopping is rotary vs. fixed. True rotary will hold the fly horizontal and spin, keeping the fly horizontal and the shank of the hook in plane with the rotary axis. Most nice fixed vices also turn so you can access most of the fly, but are angled so the fly sits high. You prolly know this, but I wanted to explain why I think it is so important to think about this closely prior to deciding which vise to buy.

For me, I have big hands... accessing the back of the fly on a true rotary vise sucks for me and I find that I cannot control the material well because I have to change the natural material hand position. I use an adjustable angle vise so I can really slant the jaws upwards and above the body of the vise. This makes the area behind the fly completely open so I can keep my material hand in a natural position and access the back of the fly easily. THIS IS FOR ME ONLY and is why it works so well.. I give up the rotary function, but I am willing to do that because my flies look a lot better when I can really control the material.

Beware, the hybrid vises (rotary or fixed) are usually not terribly functional as a rotary vise because they are not true rotary and the shank of the hook is not in true plane with the axis of the rotary function. Hope this all makes sense, the only reason I explain this in such detail is because if you eliminate one or the other, your shopping will be much easier.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Abbner said:
Silent - thanks for the link for the old posts. I tried finding it before I posted this and then gave up and started this one. I just checked out the C&F and I will agree with you, it would be a lot of fun just to play with thing.

720 - After you and I met last year, when I bought your 4wt, I have been looking at the 720 pretty seriously. One of these days we need to hook up so you can sell me on it.
Well as stated before I am know longer a pro staff for the 720 anymore. I do how ever have a couple of newbi tyer's that got 720's as their first vise. They are very happy. To the point--- I am going to be doing some lesson per say with them this winter. You are more than welcome to sit-in and enjoy
-- next, if you get a chance sooner to catch vincent doing a demo, I am sure you WILL be sold
hope you like that#4 and have had plenty of day's to fish it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oyey - That has been the #1 thought I've had because I have never used a rotary so that in itself would be a learning curve. The vise I have has a hard time hanging onto anything smaller than a #20. (don't ask how vise-grips come into play).

720 - That is good to know that the noobs took to it so quick. That is well received. Drop me a line when you plan on something like that and if I'm in the US I will make the trip to come and get edu-ma-cated. (the 4wt has been a hoot to fish with.)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I knew Jim would jump on here and get the old vise threads re-threaded!

I have a Nor-Vise, which I love, but am bummed that everybody who sells accessories and parts is out of state or online only - I'm a touchy-feely, get it today kind of peron. (Am asking for more spools for bobbins and possibly some new jaws - I was very cruel to mine a few years ago with saltwater hooks. Long story.)

Seriously, check out YouTube for videos on vises. There's gotta be somebody with your kind of tying skills, hand size, preferred tying technique, using the vise that you want. You'll figure it out!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive used a danvise for a little over two years and cant see needing anything different. It is a little crowded but you adapt, and if you dont there is a jaw extender available for about $20. The vise is $90. Saves you money to spend on other stuff. As you know theres no end of stuff to buy in this sport.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's funny how you start with just wanting to learn the trade and then you end up with foot lockers full of material. My wife has a sense of humor towards it but she still won't let me go to Sportsmans Warehouse without adult supervision though.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Boy, if that's the case, you better stay away from Charlie's. That place is material overload!
(You can still get into a lot of trouble at Discount Fishing Tackle too.... oh, boy!) ;)

S

·
0 Posts
fishingal said:
Boy, if that's the case, you better stay away from Charlie's. That place is material overload!
(You can still get into a lot of trouble at Discount Fishing Tackle too.... oh, boy!) ;)
Oh yeah, digging thru the old dusty buckets and boxes at Discount is fun, never know what you'll find !

Yep, if you're going to Charlies, only take whatever coin you find in the laundry or under the couch, and definately leave the credit card at home !! Guaranteed a $50 hit every trip otherwise ( done it a lot !! )

There have beena ton of great discussions on vises here over the years, and a quick search of the archives will get you more info than ever.

If you tie dries, and especialy parachutes... the 720 is hands down the ultimate machine !! Watchin him trow down a #24 Parachute in a matter of minutes with zero offort is a sight to behold. Vincent has done one heck of a job designing that vise. And yes, it ties everything else too !

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been following Charlies site since I got into this hobby/habit a few years back and trust me, I want to take the trip up to the shop. I'm more than sure that one of these days I will make the trip and get myself in trouble with the wife.

As far as the vise is concerned, I need to get around and go play on a rotary and see how it works/feels. More to come on that subject.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Oyey said:
Koldkut said:
You're more than welcome to my Peak Vise, It's not seeing very much action lately.
Dude, don't get rid of your vise... you'll tie again.
Me 'n Abbner is cool, I'm the reason he's turned into a trout elitist...... ;D

He'd just be borrowing it....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts