Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be in C Springs this weekend for my daughter's softball tourney (Goose Gosssage). Was looking at the topos and noticed Palmer Res. and Camp Creek, the outflow stream. I like to fish small streams, and was wondering if it's worth trying. Barring that, is there any other place around town where I could drown a fly and maybe catch a bluegill or two? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
How far do you want to drive? In town all I can think of to fish is Pikeview, Prospect, and Quail lakes. None of the streams or creeks in town hold any fish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
wonmorefish said:
Epic they hold fish but not sure if your aloud to fish them 7 falls runs down into the Springs behind a bunch of houses.  They did a study last year swept the creek within 20 feet there were 16 brooks/bow. 

I've never been to 7 falls, didnt know that. I have seen some studies on fountain creek and monument creek and they havent found any fish below that hill with all the mining waste along highway 24. With that and all the sewage spills.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help guys. Epic, I don't mind driving a ways. The DOW website said that low water at Palmer last year hindered stocking. Has that changed at all? Anyways, I'll post a report after the weekend on my findings.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
flybynight said:
Thanks for all the help guys. Epic, I don't mind driving a ways. The DOW website said that low water at Palmer last year hindered stocking. Has that changed at all? Anyways, I'll post a report after the weekend on my findings.
This is what they told us at the round table:
Palmer lake- low water levels in '05 allowed some trout stocking, but not at normal levels. If water levels improve and conditions improve the lake will be stocked.

So I am willing to bet they havent stocked it yet.

Within an hour of Colorado Springs (in no paticular order) here are some of your options -
Lake Pueblo
Valco Ponds
Arkansas River
Brush Hollow
Hayes, Townsend Ponds - Ft Carson need to buy an onpost liscense 20$
Rampart Reservoir and inlet
Catamount Reservoirs - Have to pay toll fee on Pikes Peak Toll road
South Platte River
Monument Lake
Chatfield
the 3 springs ponds that are mentioned above.

I'm sure there are a couple more but thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Im sure some others can throw a couple more up there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After softball tourney today, I headed up to try and access Tarryall Creek above where it runs into the S. Platte.  The forest service road I tried was closed  :(  Then tried to access the lower reaches of Trout Creek and was stopped by private property.  Then went down the S. Platte and finally found a spot to pull over well downstream from Deckers.  Was only able to land one 14" rainbow on a black woolly bugger.  Water was fairly off-color that far down stream.  Great day of fishing!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
With the little bit of snow on the mountain and rain we got last 2 days I'm betting thats why the water was off color.... Atleast it wasnt a skunk. How'd your daughter do in the softball tourney?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ePiC,
Personally, she did very well, but team didn't do so well....

If I call the Pike forest service, will they be able to tell me why the forest service road I was trying to travel on was closed?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
flybynight said:
If I call the Pike forest service, will they be able to tell me why the forest service road I was trying to travel on was closed?
They should know the reason: USDA Forest Service Pike & San Isabel National Forests 719-553-1400

1 - 10 of 10 Posts