Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: This is a skunk report!

Usually I wouldn't bother to post up a skunk report since they're just not very exciting, but since this is probably my 100th skunk this season for tigermuskie I decided I'd post it. :p...........So I just got home from my sixth trip to pinewood reservoir this month. Pinewood is only around 20% full for those of you who haven't been up there. They are doing some kind of work up there, anyway I thought with it so low now would be a good time to fish. Also a good time of the year for tigermuskies from what I've read. I also checked with solar/lunar fishing chart on in-fisherman's web site and made sure to be at pinewood on Saturday the 6th relentlessly washing lures....even if conditions would seem favorable bites were not to be had. I'm thinking in the past six trips I've probably clocked at least 24 hours of casting, a few of the trips were early morning before work which were only a few hours at a time, with some longer days on days off. I know sometimes using a jerkbait I might take as long as five minutes to retrieve one cast, then with a spinnerbait or crankbait the retrieve speed is much faster {I haven't exactly timed it but you know what I mean}. So considering I did use some jerkbaits some of the time, and today I even dusted off a tube jig {for which the retrieve speed can very a lot, but in any case I was using it slow}, and I also casted a lot of faster type lures in the past six trips I'll give it a conservative estement of thirty casts per hour. That puts me at 720 casts at pinewood this month...not near the 10,000 cast mark when you break it down that way. On the other hand I've chased tigermuskies at other locations this season as well, with a year total of casts that has to be well into the thousands, and feels like the millions! Every single tigermuskie outing I've had so far has had one thing in comon, I have NOT landed a tiger muskie! Other than that the trips have veried greatly: sun, wind, rain, snow, ice in the guides this morning. Also highly veried has been my catches {I didn't say I was always skunked, just always skunked for my most saught after species the ever elusive tigermuskie} like one time this sumer when I caught a sucker hooked in the lip on a meps #5 ???, and a carp carcass hooked in the lip on a rattle trap . In fact I've even caught somethings that were not fish at all, for instance once this summer I caught a sand bag and had to drag it in by hand. It was very heavy, but not as heavy as the patio umbrella I snaged at pinewood last week. So I'm ripping a spinner through the water when I feel something, I'm not taking any chances, so I pull a good hook set right into to heavy snag. But it moved so I figured I could pull it in, I start pulling the line in by hand and I see a huge shape comeing out of the depths. I really should have taken a picture but the thing was if I let go back down it would sink again. I tried to pull the whole umbrella out of the water but it's post seemed to be lodged in mud, maybe just a little closer I could get the lure back at least....then in one final tug the line snaped, but not before cutting two of my fingers, and the umbella and the meps sank back into the abyss. That kind of leads me to realize that isn't the only lure I've donated to this quest. I don't want to think of how many lures I've probably lost during the intire sumer while muskie fishing. The past six trips to pinewood might be easier to handle...humm let me think; I know I lost a seven dollar smithwick with upgreaded hardware and hooks make that a $9 smithwick, then there was the $5 bass type spinnerbait today, the $4 meps #5 lost to the umbella, $3 two storm swimbaits {at least those are cheap}, a panthermartin #15, can't remember how much those cost...and there might have been a few more. So that's a $63 total effort counting the $42 worth of entry fees {I think I'll get an annual pass next year}. So back to the veried catches here's what happend today; At one point I saw a tigermuskie. This was one of only four sightings I've had in the past six trips, when I saw the fish I had a spinner on and I tried to get it with in striking range of the fish, when the fish got look at that spinner it turned tail and got out there as quick as it could swim...Maybe I spinner is not the best idea I'm thinking so I put on a tube jig. I'm casting and draging in the tube slow with lots of pauses, when during a pause I start to see my line move. It was a very slow take and I'm thinking it's probably a trout but at the same time I'm also thinking maybe that's a tigermuskie and that line of though was getting my heart pumping. And a little bit of adrenaline was very welcome indeed because it was an absolute blizzard at the time. So I start to tighten the line up for a hook set and I'm waiting for that moment where you can feel the fish to set and............nothing....I wait, don't want to set too soon.......Tick tick the lines moving again just a bit.....again I try and tighten the line just a bit. Yeah got the adrenaline going now..tighten I feel a little weight, ok slam hook set...nothing...ok wait..humm I guess it was a trout, I get something on but not very heavy......then I see my tube jig only there is no fish on it just a piece monofilamont wrapped around the hook. That's funny because I knew I could feel a fish on while reeling in, a small fish but there was a tug all the same. I realized that the line stuck to my jig must be attached to fish on the other end, well I'll get rid of that for him. So I pull in the line by hand and there's a ton of line. I get what looks like an intire sppol worth of bird nest in and on the other end is not one, but two live rainbows both about 8" long. They still looked healthy so I guess they hadn't been stuck for very long. They looked deep hooked so I cut the lines next to their mouths and sent them on their way. I know that's kind of a fishing story and I should have got a pic but it was a blizzard and I had my camera in a zip lock bag. So you guys will just have to take my word for it. I guess the point of the story is that I've had a lot of rare hook ups while going for those dam tigers but not the rarest of all, to actually hook up with a tigermuskie! :-\

There's some of the wind, trust me, it was worse than it looks. I had to disassemble and clean my reel after that day and I'm still getting sand out of my eyes, ears, and nose. As you can see with 4/5ths of the lake drained it's a sand doon land scape.

The view from the dry in-let, I was hoping they wouldn't turn on the water at that moment! O0

Tight lines.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This is why I don't want the CDOW using Tigers instead of pike to control rough fish. ITS BECAUSE THEY ONLY STOCK VERY FEW TIGERS AND ALSO BECAUSE TIGERS ARE SO DANG HARD TO CATCH. PIKE ALL THE WAY! TIGERS WON'T DO. They just sometimes use tigers as bait to pacify people who might be mad about pike eradication efforts.

At least if they wanted to stock tigers, they should stock them in large numbers. I don't think there are hardly any left in Quincy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
IceInTheVeins. said:
This is why I don't want the CDOW using Tigers instead of pike to control rough fish. ITS BECAUSE THEY ONLY STOCK VERY FEW TIGERS AND ALSO BECAUSE TIGERS ARE SO DANG HARD TO CATCH. PIKE ALL THE WAY! TIGERS WON'T DO. They just sometimes use tigers as bait to pacify people who might be mad about pike eradication efforts.

At least if they wanted to stock tigers, they should stock them in large numbers. I don't think there are hardly any left in Quincy.

Umm, clearly you don't understand the issue then. Tiger Muskie are used because they are a STERILE hybrid that cannot reproduce. Therefore biologists know to a very close number how many large predators are in the lake. Throw pike in and you'll be having fun all right...catching 14 inch hammerhandles all day long.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sounds like a frustrating year. I'm sure you learned a ton in those skunk days.

It took me quite some time to land my first muskie. It ended up that I caught mine on a buzzbait while fishing for bass.

You just keep on, keeping on and it will happen!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IceInTheVeins. said:

sleestak said:
IceInTheVeins. said:

Umm, clearly you don't understand the issue then. Tiger Muskie are used because they are a STERILE hybrid that cannot reproduce. Therefore biologists know to a very close number how many large predators are in the lake. Throw pike in and you'll be having fun all right...catching 14 inch hammerhandles all day long.

I can see both sies of the TM vrs Northern Pike issue...in any case I would love to see a few more lakes in the front range with northerns. And I would love to see more places managed for tropthy northerns in this state. I also think TM fishing in some lakes in other states might be alot more consistant from what I've read {I mean consistant catching not skunking}. And I think it would be great if the dow wanted to set aside a few tropthy TM lakes as well...in the mean time Pinewood and lon hagler are as good as I know of for tigers in this area. The rareity does make them enticing.....

beadheadred said:
Great post bud, Great post...... I wish you well on your quest forthe one, may it happen soon

BHR
Thanks man! :)

Biggie Smalls said:
Sounds like a frustrating year. I'm sure you learned a ton in those skunk days.

It took me quite some time to land my first muskie. It ended up that I caught mine on a buzzbait while fishing for bass.

You just keep on, keeping on and it will happen!
Thanks man, I thought of throwing a buzzbait today when it got windy before the storm. I'll have to tie one on next time.

MuskieManFC said:
I'm missing a few Red/White Mepps #5 Bucktails and Musky Killers from years ago, you didn't happen to see them at the bottom of Fisherman's cove? >:D
Ha ha, did see a bunch of junk down there...lots of rusty hardware. I bet someone found a few lures right after they drained it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
sleestak said:
IceInTheVeins. said:

CLEARLY I DO UNDERSTAND. I know they want to stock tigers because they are sterile and pike aren't. The CDOW doesn't like stocking fish that reproduce on their own because they want to play God, control everything, and have job security. Fertile, self sustaining predators are the only real way to control rough species well enough. There aren't any places in Colorado right now where pike are out of control. They were at one time in Spinney and that is IT!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
But the main reason tiger fishing in Colorado is so hard is because the CDOW stocks so very few, because they have a predator phobia. In reality, most of our lakes have TOO MUCH forage, not too little. The Powell Striper situation rarely happens. Most of our lakes have a healthy amount of pike or too few of them, NOT too many. Then again, it takes an uninformed person or a koolaid drinker to trust most CDOW aquatic biologists.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
fish the places with the highest density of tigers and it will be better. I have made five trips and have had three on, two shook off and one bit off, and a bunch of follows. ten trips or less at the right places should get it done. Evergreen has a bunch of Tigers, as does Horseshoe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tried for muskie for two years...hard fishing around here. Nothing, zero zilch, nada, nil. Haven't tried for them since. I did see one in Evergreen.
an umbrella and a sandbag? not bad. My old man snagged a very large set of male tighty whiteys way the hell up in Canada. He got the best of em though, and I netted them for him.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Good report. thanks. My next tiger will be my first, but I really haven't targetted them much. Well, a few times at Gross, when I saw some monsters cruising the shore. But they put the middle finger at me, and ignored my truly spectacular casts to them. ???

·
Registered
749 Posts
I wolud like to see a few tigers in cherry creek to shrink that over population of shad.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I've witnessed Jevan come close twice.. You'll get one, keep at it!

Then I'll have to be out there all the time.. trying to catch one myself, getting frustrated... Actually.. give it up. It's ice season :D

Nice post

1 - 18 of 18 Posts