Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't.

First ever outing to pueblo yesterday. Caught a 13" small mouth in the first 30 minand thought "this is gonna be great!" Lost lure after lure up and down the. Shore, nothing. Hours later hooked what ithink was a walleye,it hit a branch on the last bit in, flipped and grew he hook into me where it stuck....that was my omen.
Caught a skinny little small mouth he the waves started and I thought, ok,now we catch fish. Nope. Lost my 3 favorite jerks. Said screw it me relocated, caught another undersized small mouth on a blade and what I think was a medium perch (jumped off, looked perchy)

All of the bass came on small silver metal because I can generally keep that from being stuck. Walleye crushed a cheapo $1.99 bps jerk

Had I not driven and lost $60 of lures it would have been an ok day. Getting stuck on everything while the boats a hair further out caught kinda sucked the fun out of it.

Ahh well. I've got the beer/lunch if anyone wants to try pueblo with me in a less lure losing more fish catching way.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I almost had wiggles give me your number to take you on the boat yesterday but my brother let me know last minute that he was gonna come out so the boat was full. Shore fishing plebs can be rough if you don't have snagless lures working. At least you caught a couple :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shore fishing plebs can be rough if you don't have snagless lures working. At least you caught a couple :D
yeah, thought I might wade past the snags but it gets deep fast. thought all of the snaggy stuff would be great for panfish but didn't find any. I was north and west, think I'll try north and east next time. appreciate the suggestion you gave him for me, didn't make it that far. also appreciate the thought for the boat.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Hint for learning Pueblo. Everything in there can be caught on 3/8th and 1/4 ounce jigs and plastics. You're going to get hung up a lot from shore or boat. Buy lead heads in bulk, no need for painted heads, and when you break off it's only .30 cents or so for your rig. You're going to break off a lot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Man, you need a boat! With your determination, you could be lethal with a fishing rig. I have a 12' aluminum boat with a 2.5 horse motor that you can have if you come get it. At least i know you'll use it

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Hint for learning Pueblo. Everything in there can be caught on 3/8th and 1/4 ounce jigs and plastics. You're going to get hung up a lot from shore or boat. Buy lead heads in bulk, no need for painted heads, and when you break off it's only .30 cents or so for your rig. You're going to break off a lot.

very true and deeper isn't always better, 6 to 8 feet of water holds a lot of fish. I once saw a bank fisherman casting as far out as he could , while the wipers were chasing the shad on to the bank and splashing water on his feet

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, I lose a minimum of ten jigs a trip. Don't know how many times I've re-rigged only to lose another jig on the ensuing cast. Nice thing with the water being high for several years in a row, a lot of the snags are rotted and pulling free from the bottom or breaking even with 8 lb test. Rocks..eh...they never rot.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very true and deeper isn't always better, 6 to 8 feet of water holds a lot of fish. I once saw a bank fisherman casting as far out as he could , while the wipers were chasing the shad on to the bank and splashing water on his feet
yeah, I caught all of the bass on a 1/8 kasty...mostly I was hoping pan fish would want the little silver kasty. I think the blade was 3//16. I'm going to have to bring the ultra light next time. my ML is great for accuracy on the 1/4 oz but it's harder to put a 1/8 into one of the openings between the submerged trees especially in wind. the crap deal is that it's all wood, can't even yank out of a snag.

I wasn't looking to be deep. when I saw how quick it fell off I thought it was perfect, I just want to be able to get it back.

thanks for the tip on the jig heads. I did lose a couple of those (1/8 oz) I'll give them another try and learn to work them. I tried 1/8os head with a white fluke, had trouble casting and working it, but never fished em before.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one bit of good news, other than kastmaster being the only ones with gold/red (what I catch nearly all of my big trout with) I've seen no difference between the wally world kastaways and the brand names. at least the walmart ones are cheaper.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Ninety percent of the time I'm using three eights ounce jigs. The other ten quarter ounce. Use a medium light rod. Get yourself some 8lb trilene xt. Buy some 3 inch tubes in watermelon..Some 3 inch twisters in white or chartreuse. Some 3 inch paddle tails in similar colors and go fishing. Work the bottom adjusting your hop, drag, or swim depending upon the season. You'll catch fish.

The problem with kastaways is that their hooks suck. But most times it's not an issue.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Man, you need a boat! With your determination, you could be lethal with a fishing rig. I have a 12' aluminum boat with a 2.5 horse motor that you can have if you come get it. At least i know you'll use it
DUDE!!! Did you miss this? Very generous offer there catchnabuzz!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ninety percent of the time I'm using three eights ounce jigs. The other ten quarter ounce. Use a medium light rod. Get yourself some 8lb trilene xt. Buy some 3 inch tubes in watermelon..Some 3 inch twisters in white or chartreuse. Some 3 inch paddle tails in similar colors and go fishing. Work the bottom adjusting your hop, drag, or swim depending upon the season. You'll catch fish.

The problem with kastaways is that their hooks suck. But most times it's not an issue.
awesome advice, thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I tried 1/8os head with a white fluke, had trouble casting and working it, but never fished em before.
Some quick tips on jigging. Snap them in early spring/spring. Lift them in late spring and crawl them during the summer. Most fish are either caught or missed on the drop. If you're just hooking into them on the lift, I'd imagine that you're missing many more that you didn't feel on the initial drop or the drops between lifts. Why you use the heavier jig heads is because you want to maintain contact/feel between the jig and the rod as the jig falls. A heavier jig keeps you in touch. The more wind..the heavier the jig. After you lift, let the jig fall on a semi-slack line following it down with the tip of the rod. Watch the line to see if it stops or moves sideways on the way down..always trying to feel the tic when a fish inhales the bait. Tics can be subtle. Feel a tic set the hook.. If it's a bush break off and try again. This works for tubes, twisters or paddle tails.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DUDE!!! Did you miss this? Very generous offer there catchnabuzz!
I did miss that. it is a hugely generous offer. thanks!!
I've gotta stay on land. my inner ear is screwed and I get so seasick it's depressing. just bought the wife a kayak, going to drag it down there one day and see what she can do.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I did miss that. it is a hugely generous offer. thanks!!
I've gotta stay on land. my inner ear is screwed and I get so seasick it's depressing. just bought the wife a kayak, going to drag it down there one day and see what she can do.
Oh that sucks!
Can't you drive a nail in it or cut it off or something? lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Some quick tips on jigging. Snap them in early spring/spring. Lift them in late spring and crawl them during the summer. Most fish are either caught or missed on the drop. If you're just hooking into them on the lift, I'd imagine that you're missing many more that you didn't feel on the initial drop or the drops between lifts. Why you use the heavier jig heads is because you want to maintain contact/feel between the jig and the rod as the jig falls. A heavier jig keeps you in touch. The more wind..the heavier the jig. After you lift, let the jig fall on a semi-slack line following it down with the tip of the rod. Watch the line to see if it stops or moves sideways on the way down..always trying to feel the tic when a fish inhales the bait. Tics can be subtle. Feel a tic set the hook.. If it's a bush break off and try again. This works for tubes, twisters or paddle tails.

GOOD STUFF!!! I like these kinda threads

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks again! I've jigged very little. it's on my "to learn" list. I really enjoyed the 3/16 blade because I could feel it up and down. I often feel like I lose track of my jigs....often being the few times I've tried them. I've tried some tubes around denver on known sandy bottoms because I can at least feel my way around with less chance of getting stuck. trying to work on staying in contact with my bait the whole time. currently have vanish on my reel and I can't see it for anything, might have to try one of the ones with some more visible line.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Last Monday my client and I lost about a dozen jigs but who cares we caught 52 walleye including three limits of keepers. She took home hers and I released all of kelly and mine except two that were bleeding badly. There are all kinds of ways to catch them there besides jigging but right now that is a great way to get into fish. Like Hobie said they don't have to be painted. Learn how to slip bobber also.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'd definitely put it on the top of the list if you want to consistently catch warm water species. Worry less about snags. It will teach you to tie knots faster. Snags and fish go together like Bacon and eggs. Right now a lot of walleye are sitting on mud flats eating the insect larva that's emerging and the bait fish attracted to the larva. The shad have hatched and soon the eyes will move to main lake points and flats. And remember...it's a pain, but you'll almost always do better fishing into the wind.

Another reason for fishing a heavier jig. If I'm finding walleye at 20 feet and it takes 15 seconds with a 3/8ths jig to reach the bottom where the fish are hanging. I'd be wasting 30 seconds per cast using an 1/8 ounce jig.

More time in the fish zone equates to more fish landed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
GOOD STUFF!!! I like these kinda threads

'Bout the only thing Hobie can't tell you is how to be less than an honorable individual. (he probably could, but I doubt if he would...no sense in giving people ideas)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts