Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
So my trusty Garmin e-trex is showing it's age and I don't think it'll last much longer. I've used it for the better part of a decade and have been pretty happy with it's performance, but it now has about a dozen blank horizontal lines across the screen, and is very difficult to read. Been looking around for a new hand held, and it would appear that many of the makers are going the button & touchscreen route. I've seen a couple units that have SD cards that you can upload maps to the unit, and that sounds potentially promising.

So I'm curious if anybody has any feedback they'd be willing to share about the use of a touchscreen device for ice fishing. One of the reports I read (I forget the model, but it was all touchscreen, no buttons) mentioned that the unit way underperformed in cold temperatures. I've experienced this kind of thing with my phone as well.

Just as well, I'd appreciate any comments on their newer hand held GPS units that they'd like to share. What features do you find helpful? Are there units that I can upload lake topo maps? That would seem like a potentially very helpful feature. All input is appreciated.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine did same thing.Its a bad connection between the display screen and board. It can be fixed at home if your interested in doing so. Even if you do upgrade its still better to fix it and have a backup.

·
Registered
902 Posts
not working in cold could be sort of fixed by keeping in your inside warm pocket? my phone doesnt work very good if i leave it in the bucket. but if i pull it out of my jeans pocket its good as new.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs, gents. lvrider, I put the phone and etrex in the inside pockets all the time to warm them up enough to work, I'd like to avoid that if possible. It's kind of a hassle to have to wait to have the phone or gps warm up before I can use it.

Riprap, I'll look around and see if I can find some instructions ... you're right that it might be handy to have a backup.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
I have 2 GPS's. 1 has touchscreen the other doesnt.

The screen weirds out in cold. Also when u put in your pocket it all sorts of strange things happen because the screen thinks its being "touched".

The non-touch screen has no such problems.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine did same thing.Its a bad connection between the display screen and board. It can be fixed at home if your interested in doing so. Even if you do upgrade its still better to fix it and have a backup.
How easy is it to fix the bad connection. I have an old Garmin Mapsource (circa 2000) that has similar type lines on the screen. I probably need to upgrade to a newer GPS but it would be nice to fix this one and have it as a backup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My etrex vista from 2003 was pretty easy to fix by googling the problem. Im not familiar with the Garmin Mapsource though. If you can get it apart I would guess the faulty connection should be pretty obvious. Just clean it up and reconnect. Its where the lcd ribbon cable attaches to the board. I put a couple dabs of hot glue on mine to hopefully fix it for good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gents
Thanks for the input. I haven't yet decided whether to try the fix on the e-trex. I took it out last Friday up at Granby, and tried to reenter a location that I'd inadvertently wiped out, and the listing of numbers only went from 0-5!! WTF? how's a guy supposed to work with only 60% of the numbers available?! But thinking about whats being reported here about the problem with the unit, I have marginal confidence that cleaning contacts is going to fix the unit if the math processor is failing (being an embedded sw engineer, I could be wrong about how their processor is laid out, but the numbers not listing doesn't seem like a processor/display interface problem).

Dropshot, I have the navionics app on both the phone and the tablet. I've found they don't work all that great in the cold, and they're a bit more expensive than I want to use out on the ice, since I'm occasionally tough on gear. Great for planning trips though!

Slayer, thanks for the input.

Yotepounder, I thinkt he Montana was the unit that originally got the bad review for not working well in the cold. I was wondering the same thing (whether storing it in the pocket was sufficient for allowing it to work). Thanks for the input.

Best regards,
Dogwood

1 - 10 of 10 Posts