Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the opinions of the "fish guru's" on here who fish with good old fashion chicken liver for cats on how to best secure it on a hook. I have not used chicken liver in forever because of the awful smell it leaves on all my gear and the fact it doesn't stay on hooks real well.

After reading more than a dozen articles from the "pros" about it being a good producer for large cats I am curious to put it up against some of my own "big cat killers" in a trial run if I can find a solution for keeping it on the hook and keeping the mini kitties, crawfish and other vermin from nibbling at it. After all it is cheap and readily available at all times of the day or night.

I have read a few interesting techniques on how to do so, but seeing how this place is a ghost town this time of the year maybe some of you who are "hiding" can give a few of your thoughts....

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I can definitely attest to the effectiveness of chicken liver for cats. I don't do anything fancy for rigging except maybe threading the hook through once or twice and it seems to stay on. I was wondering about freezing chicken liver because I have been using it lately. Can you freeze the liver over and over if you're not using it? Let's say I buy liver that's thawed and use some. I can take it home and freeze it and take it out to use and freeze it again, right?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
whomp,

I never froze chicken liver. I just bought enough for each trip and refrigerated them or put them in the cooler. I don't think the cats would care either way so long as it stinks, but then again what do I know....

Can you attest to it consistently catching larger cats? 90% of the cats I catch using my baits are over 5 lbs and quite a few have been 18+ with the biggest at 25 lbs. But what I use can get pricey and isn't always available.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
whomp,

I never froze chicken liver. I just bought enough for each trip and refrigerated them or put them in the cooler. I don't think the cats would care either way so long as it stinks, but then again what do I know....

Can you attest to it consistently catching larger cats? 90% of the cats I catch using my baits are over 5 lbs and quite a few have been 18+ with the biggest at 25 lbs. But what I use can get pricey and isn't always available.
Ya I mean it's only like $1.69 for a good-sized tub at kings but I'm an extremely poor college student right now so I'm trying to make it last. As far as whether it catches bigger fish or not, I can't say. I'm not a huge cat guy but I have caught some cats in my day but not a ton and not any monsters. I usually don't fish for em and don't use bait but I've wanted to get a cat lately for some reason. I was thinking about trying shrimp because it works for wiper, too and a lot of the places I fish for cats have wiper. Could we touch on catfishing theory? Specifically what are considered good "spots" to look for catfish? I know cats like to hang out in holes and cover. Ideally I'd want to find a hole close to areas that I would consider rich in catfish prey, right? When I roll up to a big reservoir I have trouble picking out spots that I would consider prime for cats.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always do well numbers wise with chicken liver, but every big cat I've ever caught has been on cut bait or shrimp.
Cut baits and live have been the best for me over the last 40 some years, but I always keep an open mind to trying different things to see what works best. Especially if someone has a different way of presenting them.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Z-man. One of the articles I read mentioned the magic thread and surgitube. The pantyhose thing and string just makes a mess IMO. I've also been toying with the idea of curing the liver with Pro-Cure.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's always nice to get a few new ideas on how to fish an old form of catching fish. Especially if it puts a few more monsters on the line for some good photo ops.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was out the other night trying out some Carp baits and rigs and hooked up on some nice kitties on light tackle at a place that I hadn't fished in years. I'll be hitting it up again soon with some fancy ars British boilies once they get here.

Can't wait....

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If you want the little ones to stay off use big pieces of bait! I wouldn't say theres any magic bait that the little ones won't hit but the big ones will, except something to big for the small ones to eat. As for the crawfish though...those guys can be a pain

·
Registered
376 Posts
A guy on here told me once that mint skoal tobacco spit on your bait would keep the crawdads off your bait im not sure but i think he was blowing smoke up my arse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts