Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Friday I decided to get up early and do some back country fishing. I hit the trail at 5am, hiked about 3.5 miles into a group of three lakes I have never fished before. Found my way to the first lake right at sunrise, stopped to take a picture and continued on.

It was a short but brutal hike up to the Upper lake.

This was one of the deepest mountain lakes I have ever fished.

After eating breakfast I fished for about two hours and caught two Cutts and missed a few more. They were fairly deep, I was counting down a gold Kastmaster for about 20 seconds.

I would have stayed at the upper lake, but I wanted to break in my new 6wt fly rod the wife bought me for my birthday so I headed to the lower lakes. Caught a few small but feisty Brookies out of both lakes on an Elk Hair Caddis (sorry no pictures of the Brookies). Started on the trail back home around noon. All in all it was a great trip! I always love exploring new blue spots on the topo map.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Nice...There's an easy trail to the upper lake on the north side of the lower lake to the left in your picture. Much easier than hiking up the head wall.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice, always good to get high! Those are some fatties - I think there must be more oxygen producing plants in that lake or something, it always produces fatties.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice...There's an easy trail to the upper lake on the north side of the lower lake to the left in your picture. Much easier than hiking up the head wall.
Thanks! I did discover that on the way down. As is typical for me I had to go and do things the hard way, lol.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, the first time I ever went up there we too hiked the head wall. Dang bushes. Got to the lake and met a family with a four and a five year old having a picnic. I commented how they should be proud hiking up that head wall. They pointed and said...aw we just took the trail. Live and learn. If you go again there are some better fish in that upper lake from 15 to 18 inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts