Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a baby goose with its foot caught in line under a bush today, struggling to get out. I moved closer and mom was pissed but she slowly took a couple steps back, instead of coming straight at me like I expected. I think she knew I was helping...although she still had her defense posture on the whole time. Only had to cut the line in 2 spots and it was free. I then proceeded to pick up line for the next 15 minutes, why are people so dang lazy!?!? This is the second stuck goose I have seen this year, the first one was an adult that the rangers got unstuck

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Did this for a blue heron years ago at Pueblo Res. Some people are slobs and don't care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always carry a plastic bag from the store in my gear. It's not uncommon for me to return to my truck with a bag full of disposed line and empty worm or bait containers. And people wonder why fisheries get shut down...when anglers are most likely the root cause.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Man, I have taken SO much line out of the ponds and P-res... it's deadly crap. Last time I got about 50 yards of braid. Well done, dude. I encourage everyone to pick up trash and line. It's easy and helps.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've taken a ton of line out too... Mostly in the rocks at Twin Lakes... HUGE mono. Probably 12lb or better, and tons of it. I've never left a nest of line behind, but I do have a bad habit of biting off and spitting out the tag ends from new knots...

·
Registered
991 Posts
I always carry a plastic bag from the store in my gear. It's not uncommon for me to return to my truck with a bag full of disposed line and empty worm or bait containers. And people wonder why fisheries get shut down...when anglers are most likely the root cause.
Yep - best part is if I take a zip top bag of some kind it stays IN the baggie. And I have no idea how much line I've take out but it's been a lot. I have also untangled geese. I had an adult one time that I could only get so close too but she was about ti kill herself so I did what I could.

Another time my buddy reeled in some line that he snagged and there was a Killdeer tangle in it. He had to reel very slow because if he went too fast it would dunk the bird and we wanted to keep it on the water - not under it.

I agree - Just pick up your trash. It's really not that hard!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I rescued a merganzer just after ice off in prospect lake. it was snowing but most of the ice was off. Wind was kicking and it kept being blown to shore and was struggling hard. turns out it had gone after a big swimbait. three treble hooks. one in the beek, one in the wing third in a foot. It kept struggling of shore every time i got close. Had to go balls deep and throw my jacket over it. to catch it. had to bring it home and warm up to get the hooks out. brought it to the emergecy vet CDOW directed me too as soon as they opened. Caught another one dead attached to a bunch of line this sping. THanks to all who pick stuff up when out fishing! All though I did get some fly tying material off the dead duck.........

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of the bundles of line I pulled out yesterday looked like they were entire spoolfulls of line, I don't understand how a person thinks that's okay to leave just under a bush. That is a deathtrap for many animals. It sucks seeing any type of trash around water, but fishing line really gets to me

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Some of the bundles of line I pulled out yesterday looked like they were entire spoolfulls of line, I don't understand how a person thinks that's okay to leave just under a bush. That is a deathtrap for many animals. It sucks seeing any type of trash around water, but fishing line really gets to me
Thats the problem.... they don't.

Good for all us that do pick up after others.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is an epic pet peeve of mine. I have quit fishing several ponds and small lakes nearby because of all the junk left laying around. Like others here, I normally carry a trash bag with me when I shore fish lakes/ponds and stream fish.

I guess what even makes me more upset is that the people leaving all this trash around are the ones that the CPW seems to be basing their "trout only" mentality on. CPW seems bent on stocking catchable and subcatchable trout for those folks who only fish occasionally yet want to have a good time when they do go. Not all of these types are leaving trash behind but more than a fair share of them do. We had a series of training seminars here on the western slope led by "Pathways to Fishing". Part of the training was good etiquette and good stewardship of our public fishing places. However there must be a whole heck of a lot of folks who just didn't get the message or just don't care.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've never understood why people can't pack it out if they can pack it in. I always try to leave a place cleaner than when I found it. Even if I have to kill and bury the scumbag trashing it. (JK)
It's funny (not) there's a little lake that I like to fish. It's a couple mile hike and it gets alot of people hiking and walking their dogs. There seems to be a pattern of people picking up their dog **** and putting it in a bag and then leaving the bag next to the the trail. WTF???
(Good on ya, saving the goose)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never understood why people can't pack it out if they can pack it in. I always try to leave a place cleaner than when I found it. Even if I have to kill and bury the scumbag trashing it. (JK)
It's funny (not) there's a little lake that I like to fish. It's a couple mile hike and it gets alot of people hiking and walking their dogs. There seems to be a pattern of people picking up their dog **** and putting it in a bag and then leaving the bag next to the the trail. WTF???
(Good on ya, saving the goose)
I see this a lot at a spot I frequent, I have seen literally piles of bags of dog ****. At least the bags of poop aren't going to trap any animals that climbs upon it. I really think there should be at least pictures or something of birds stuck in fishing line at places that sell licenses. I think it would stick in peoples minds if they saw the damage it can do. I used to be bad about throwing my gum on the ground until I saw the video of a hummingbird stuck in the gum. I haven't thrown a single piece on the ground since. I also never leave soft plastics on the ground. Saw a goose once that had hooked itself eating a senko off the ground and was stuck to the bush cause of it, you could see the senko in its mouth

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The plastic that hold 6 pack together will mess up an animal too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I pick up line all the time even tell my youngins to pick up trash when we fish but i am also guilty of spitting out the little pieces from knots.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts