Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some of the Tuffline tie-able leader material. I have been experimenting with what knots to use and haven't found anything I like yet? I actually broke it with my hands:-\ Not impressed so far. Do any of you use it?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Only for snare wire when I have had packrat roomates....

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I bought some of the Tuffline tie-able leader material. I have been experimenting with what knots to use and haven't found anything I like yet? I actually broke it with my hands:-\ Not impressed so far. Do any of you use it?
I've tried it. The biggest problem is that it kinks too easily. One fish and it's bent and stays bent. Personally, I think 30 to 50 lb co polymer or mono works fine. 30 for cheap lures...50 if they cost more than a car payment.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've tried it. The biggest problem is that it kinks too easily. One fish and it's bent and stays bent. Personally, I think 30 to 50 lb co polymer or mono works fine. 30 for cheap lures...50 if they cost more than a car payment.
Yup... I used toothy critter for a while but got tired of the kinks even when tying onto the mainline. Started using heavy fluoro and haven't looked back.... I've only been bit off one time and that was my fault for not retying after catching a few fish.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
I tried toothy critter tieable wire and didnt like it due to the same kinking problem...when Tony and I did the 90 tiger muskies trip caught and released we used a small black spro swivel (no shine)...a foot or 18 inches of 50/60 lb floro and tied it to the swivel using a clinch knot you could only use a few wraps and then used a pliers and some moisture on the knot to pull it tight...too many wraps caused bulk and issues with tightness so experiment at home with what you like and then we left the other end with nothing on it and tied the lure on direct...so we just tied up a bunch of leaders ahead of time and put them in a zip lock bag...or Tony did...I made a few out on the water...we lost the bag in the wind for awhile...I know we caught at least 20 fish on the same leader with no bite offs and no failure with smaller black spro swivels either...and the dollar japanese popper was tied direct with one of these leaders in the two short videos that follow...what an epic top water bite that was...lol

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have been considering it myself, and a good buddy has been using it with very good success. I will hit him up on the why's soon. As far as mono for leader, my only criticism is it shreds quickly once it's water saturated. With huge fish, that can be an issue. Since you only have to use a foot or so at a time, it's one instance where I swear by fluoro.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Fordo, I can bite through the rio product... no lies. I still use 60lb fluoro or This rio product

http://duranglersl.com/product/rio-saltwater-shock-tippet-60-feet/

That stuff is so tough, hard as hell and clear. I prefer it over fluoro at this point.

I did buy some tiable wire leader this summer and I have some things I observed. It is very easy to tie and it is strong as hell... stands up to tons of fish, only loosing the vinyl coating in some places, but never getting freyed on the metal portion. It is great for jerk baits because it doesn't effect their action. My biggest issue, is it is still waaaay more visible than the Rio product. I use the 60lb in the rio, 27lb in the tiable wire. The wire is just a ton easier to see in the water. It lasts much longer than the Rio product though...

This is the tiable leader I am using. It's way tougher than the rio tiable wire. It's impossible to bite through (for me). You will need some type of wire cutters to snip tag ends, (with the rio, you can use nail clippers).

I used the wire with some line through swimbaits and with some big glide baits. It performed great but again, was very visible.

You may have noticed I only used 27lb on the wire. That is because it is so difficult to cut, you don't really need bigger diameter.. I mean, I use 20-25lb test for my big game fishing, so no need to have heavier test than that in the wire. The Rio Shock tippet I use 60lb and for musky, I think I will use 80lb because we have had issues with fish biting through 60lb fluoro. That said, the Rio Shock Tippet is harder than Fluoro and even the biggest of fish have not shredded the 60lb in that product.

I have concluded that I still prefer the Rio Shock Tippet. It's super clear and super tough. I still get nicks in it and frays, so I have to change leders ever 2-3 fish, sometimes even after one fish... With the tiable wire, I don't really ever have to change the leader after catching fish. I will still keep the tiable around for jerks and maybe musky, but my go to leader for toothy fish will be Rio Shock Tippet.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Fordo, I can bite through the rio product... no lies. I still use 60lb fluoro or This rio product

That stuff is so tough, hard as hell and clear. I prefer it over fluoro at this point.

I did buy some tiable wire leader this summer and I have some things I observed. It is very easy to tie and it is strong as hell... stands up to tons of fish, only loosing the vinyl coating in some places, but never getting freyed on the metal portion. It is great for jerk baits because it doesn't effect their action. My biggest issue, is it is still waaaay more visible than the Rio product. I use the 60lb in the rio, 27lb in the tiable wire. The wire is just a ton easier to see in the water. It lasts much longer than the Rio product though...

This is the tiable leader I am using. It's way tougher than the rio tiable wire. It's impossible to bite through (for me). You will need some type of wire cutters to snip tag ends, (with the rio, you can use nail clippers).

I used the wire with some line through swimbaits and with some big glide baits. It performed great but again, was very visible.

You may have noticed I only used 27lb on the wire. That is because it is so difficult to cut, you don't really need bigger diameter.. I mean, I use 20-25lb test for my big game fishing, so no need to have heavier test than that in the wire. The Rio Shock tippet I use 60lb and for musky, I think I will use 80lb because we have had issues with fish biting through 60lb fluoro. That said, the Rio Shock Tippet is harder than Fluoro and even the biggest of fish have not shredded the 60lb in that product.

I have concluded that I still prefer the Rio Shock Tippet. It's super clear and super tough. I still get nicks in it and frays, so I have to change leders ever 2-3 fish, sometimes even after one fish... With the tiable wire, I don't really ever have to change the leader after catching fish. I will still keep the tiable around for jerks and maybe musky, but my go to leader for toothy fish will be Rio Shock Tippet.
thumbs up! never thought of testing the leader by trying to bit through it myself!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

Blowing up my secrets smh
Sigh

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Blowing up my secrets smh
Sigh
Everything is your secret, boon... you should just put this post on every single comment everyone on any forum has ever made!!!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Secret....lol.....should be sharing good leader tips with everyone so tards arent getting cut off and leaving lures in a big fish's mouf.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone tried BOA Titanium leader material? A guy I know who does a fair amount of saltwater said it was really good stuff and didn't kink easily. He said its like $1.50/foot but I'd be willing to pay that for something that works well. I'm planning to use it in 30lb next season unless someone gives a reason not to. One thing I learned this year is that 80lb braid won't stand up to a big pike. I lost a big one that sawed right through the braid in a matter of seconds. I'm sure it would have been the pike of my year but never had the chance because I was experimenting with the braid. My next choice would be 30-40lb flouro, I've had good success with that but have still lost a few. I always use a perfection loop to the fly and loop to loop from the leader to bite tippet using perfection loops.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Has anyone tried BOA Titanium leader material? A guy I know who does a fair amount of saltwater said it was really good stuff and didn't kink easily. He said its like $1.50/foot but I'd be willing to pay that for something that works well. I'm planning to use it in 30lb next season unless someone gives a reason not to. One thing I learned this year is that 80lb braid won't stand up to a big pike. I lost a big one that sawed right through the braid in a matter of seconds. I'm sure it would have been the pike of my year but never had the chance because I was experimenting with the braid. My next choice would be 30-40lb flouro, I've had good success with that but have still lost a few. I always use a perfection loop to the fly and loop to loop from the leader to bite tippet using perfection loops.
I just realized that earlier I talked about the tiable product I have been using but forgot to put the link in ... Here it is..

That company also makes the titanium stuff.... again, it's as tough as you will ever need, but man, so visible. Some folks think that doesn't make a difference, and I def caught plenty of fish while using it, so it may not make a difference...

30-40lb fluoro is great, but I know of several fish being lost on 40... and if you've ever been bit by a pike, you know that the teeth are seriously like razors... and while I have never tried braid, I have been told by several very accomplished pike fishermen, that it cuts easily (you just confirmed too!).

The 60lb is very tough.. the 80lb (that Boon, the original creator of leader) uses is very tough... but I still think that with the pike teeth, if they hit the leader with the tip of their teeth, it's very tough to prevent some break offs.. unless you go steel.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
lol what Jason posted is $$$

Don't try and reinvent the wheel. The rio mono leader has held up to over 200 tiger Muskie and tons of pike. One weird saw off on all those fish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry if this was already covered, but what brand of 60/80lb flouro do you guys like? The 30-40lb. I've used with pretty good results has been the Rio Saltwater Flouro that comes on pretty big spools. Also, as long as we are talking about it, are you guys flyfishing or spin? If fly, what kind of line do you prefer? I use a 15'clear sink tip on an 8wt most of the time. Usually later in the summer I will go to a full sinking. Haven't used a full floater in the past couple years as I like to be able to get it down deep if needed and the sink tip can be maintained just under the surface if conditions dictate it. I already miss piking. I'll be chomping at the bit by March. BTW- Oyey, that was an awesome pike you caught recently. I haven't had a big one (>20lbs) in a LONG time. i think the one that bit through the braid was a good one. It was a huge thump when it took. Still regretting that choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts