Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone tried BOA Titanium leader material? A guy I know who does a fair amount of saltwater said it was really good stuff and didn't kink easily. He said its like $1.50/foot but I'd be willing to pay that for something that works well. I'm planning to use it in 30lb next season unless someone gives a reason not to. One thing I learned this year is that 80lb braid won't stand up to a big pike. I lost a big one that sawed right through the braid in a matter of seconds. I'm sure it would have been the pike of my year but never had the chance because I was experimenting with the braid. My next choice would be 30-40lb flouro, I've had good success with that but have still lost a few. I always use a perfection loop to the fly and loop to loop from the leader to bite tippet using perfection loops.

· Registered
72 Posts
Sorry if this was already covered, but what brand of 60/80lb flouro do you guys like? The 30-40lb. I've used with pretty good results has been the Rio Saltwater Flouro that comes on pretty big spools. Also, as long as we are talking about it, are you guys flyfishing or spin? If fly, what kind of line do you prefer? I use a 15'clear sink tip on an 8wt most of the time. Usually later in the summer I will go to a full sinking. Haven't used a full floater in the past couple years as I like to be able to get it down deep if needed and the sink tip can be maintained just under the surface if conditions dictate it. I already miss piking. I'll be chomping at the bit by March. BTW- Oyey, that was an awesome pike you caught recently. I haven't had a big one (>20lbs) in a LONG time. i think the one that bit through the braid was a good one. It was a huge thump when it took. Still regretting that choice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.