Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on the forum, well actually.. Many on the forum have brought to my attention that the CDOW no longer regularly stocks tiger muskies in a lot of Colorado's waters.. My question is why?

I know that sterile hybrid stripers are regularly stocked in waters that I frequent, but why not muskies in their old known fisheries? Are they more difficult to produce? Are the resources limited? Are they more expensive than we think? I mean, saugeyes get stocked on a regular basis too.. Why would they leave the toothy predator out of mind? I know I brought up the topic, but lets try keep this one clean with the answers. I understand that some hard feelings about the DOW may exist out there and believe me, I have my own.. But yeah guys, lets keep this one clean and... Let's talk muskies! The last one I ever caught was a little 18 incher caught and released before I could release (broke me off) from Stearns Lake years ago.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
295 Posts
1eyeReD said:
My question is why?
1eyeReD
Short answer: it's not a rainbow trout. LOL

I am under the impression the only reason they stocked them in the first place was to control suckers. Now that the suckers are under control they don't really need to stock them as much. Sad to say but until Muskies Inc has as many members as Trout Unlimited it will always be this way.

I do think the future is bright for Muskies Inc though, here in Colorado. I really think highly of Brett Knight the new president of the colorado chapter. He really seems to be putting alot of effort into the position. Hell of a nice guy too.

I just got my newsletter a few days ago and here are some recent stockings
Approx (150-200) 20" tigers into Evergreen, Pinewood, Seeley Resv (north of Greely), and 200 into Lower Big Creek Lake.

If you're intersted in joining Muskies Inc stop by Brett's store Discount Fishing on Wadsworth or go to www.coloradomuskies.com it's cheap and I think a good cause.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx, Abomb..

I kinda guessed that, but was also wondering if getting tiger musky fingerlings was a problem too.. Reason I wonder about that is because my very less-informed self is guessing that the netting/catching of spawning white bass and spawning stripers in general, is easier. I'd imagine getting ripe 'pike in the rut' and (muskellunge?) would be harder. You seem to be right on the money too tho.. It makes a lot of sense.. Tiger musky are not trout LOL!! I guess that's really something that's out of our hands until a larger mass of supporters get involved.

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ePiC said:
The good news is not the entire DOW is trout only.  They have projects like the hatchery at Limon school that raise tiger musky for the state instead of trout.  So as long as that project stays we will always have some tigers coming in.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/AnnualReport/99report/education.html
http://wildlife.state.co.us/video/Limon_School_Hatchery.wmv
Yeah.. I was reading about that a few nights ago and I think that's something great that the DOW is doing. The school too. Seriously, it touches my heart to see youngins get involved with wildlife. That program also makes me jealous. Wish my old high school had something even close to that to offer when I was going. Maybe I would have went to school and "stayed" more often. Biology class went as far as VHS videos and text books. Catching up is pain.. But then again, I have nothing but myself to blame for that. Hehe.. I was a 5th year senior. Embarrassing, but true. As some of my friends up at CU Boulder say.. They are majoring in "Staying in School" LOL!!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Here in eastern Colorado, in lake and resevoirs that are loaded with carp and shad, I would like to see the DOW start stocking Pike. They would have plenty of food and they reproduce on their own! I caught a 33" Pike at Bonny during a Walleye tournament and they don't seem to of hurt that fishery?

·
Registered
636 Posts
1Eye, I don't know the answer to that question but you should definetily ask Brett Knight.  He is the nicest guy that I have ever met seriously and he has a cool store.  Just call him at Absolute Angler and say hi.  Tell him that Aaron referred you and he'll be more than happy to answer all of your questions.  Muskies cost around $5.50-$8.00 to raise a catchable stocker.  I think it is $5.50 I can't remember.  Join muskies Inc. and you'll learn a lot about them.  You will go to a meeting evey second tuesday of the month and even go on little trips fishing for them.  It's like $25/year and well worth it.  There are only 200 something members and we really need to grow to help preserve and maintain these beautiful hybreds.  If Brett doesn't know the answer to your question, you can contact Dan Narsett.  He is also a big member of muskies inc and has even appeared on ESPN.  His email is on the chapter website. http://www.coloradomuskies.com/officers.shtml
Hope this helps you "dude".

·
Registered
935 Posts
Because only 10% of the energy and body mass from the prey fish eaten by predators translates into predator biomass, you have to watch the ratios of fish in lakes. You also have to consider what prey fish the predators will actually utilize, or actually DO utilize when stocked in a lake. Tigers have sometimes been stocked with the thought that they would control populations of a certain species, but instead hammered the gamefish populations instead. What works in one lakes doesn't necessarily work in another. I know that in some cases, tiger stocking has been decreased because there is no longer a large enough population of the nuissance fish species to warrant higher levels of stocking, but in some cases it's probably a matter of time and logistics. With a limited budget and manpower, DOW has to prioritize its activities, and a higher priority is placed on things that impact license revenues (like making sure there is ample opportunity for the hoards of weekend anglers in the cities to catch their limit when they go fishing). In that regard, trout are more cost-effective to produce than most other gamefish, at this point.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It'd be nice if they stocked a few on the west slope (or any warmwater fish for that matter). The only lake in my knowledge they've ever stocked with tigers is harvey gap and they are done with that experiment because it isn't needed anymore. They did it to "control the pike". Now there is barely any pike to be controlled, but that is mostly from the drought concentrating them and making it so they couldn't spawn effectively. Coupled with the "no bag limit" bs the pike in harvey didn't have a chance. Those were probably the last tigers the west slope will ever see.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I emailed the DOW a few days ago and requested a list of waters stocked with tiger muskies for 2004 and this year. The reply:

Hi,

The following bodies of water will be stocked with musky in 2005:

Barker Reservoir, Big Creek Lakes lower, Clear Creek Reservoir, Continental Reservoir, Daigre Reservoir, De Weese, Reservoir, Evergreen Lake, Golden Gravel Pond #3, Horseshoe Reservoir, Jayhawker Ponds #1 and #2, Lon Hagler Reservoir, Pinewood Reservoir, Prospect Pond # 3 south, Seeley Lake, Teller Lake # 5, Union Reservoir and Wahatoya Reservoir.

For 2004:

Pike View Reservoir 144

Trinidad Reservoir 1,000

Horseshoe Reservoir 1,600

De Weese Reservoir 3,000

Joe Wright Reservoir 300

Jayhawker Pond # 2 39

Golden Gravel Pond # 3 75

Golden Gravel Pond # 4 60

St. Vrain State Park 120

Estes Lake 100

Teller Lake # 5 100

Prospect Pond # 3 south 100

Big Creek Lake, Lower 300

Jayhawker Pond # 1 100

Pinewood Reservoir 199

Lon Hagler 1,500

Evergreen Lake 200

Clear Creek Reservoir 4,000

Barker Reservoir 600

Union Reservoir 2,500

Johnson Reservoir 450

Harriman Lake 450

Have a nice day.

David Dokken

6060 Broadway

Denver, CO 80216

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 10:41 PM
To: Wildlife, Info
Subject: Tiger Muskie Stocking

Hello,

I am a member of the ColoradoFisherman.com fishing forum. Some of the members think that the DOW does not stock tiger muskie any longer. Could you clarify this for me? Also if you could provide me with a list of waters that have been stocked since 2004 and the numbers of fish stocked it would be great to present that information on the forum.

Thank You,

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you the man dan and very nice to see a good response from the DOW

how did you email them did you use the contact form on their sight or do you have an actual email address for them

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I just used the contact form. I have e-mailed them a few times before it usually takes 7-10 days to get a reply, I was surprised to have this one so quickly with the holiday approaching.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ill bet the mention of the forum helped

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ya know I was thinking that letting them know there was an in state forum wondering what was going on with the muskie would not hurt. I bet once they read my message they pulled it up on the net to see if it was me and a couple of my buddies or if it was a significant group.

I think we are very significant, nearly 500 members and still growing!

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
While I can't say for sure im willing to bet this is the top Colo fishing site on the net and getting bigger by the day..We should have some pull or a load voice atleast

-Jay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts