Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I was just wondering, who else is going to target tiger muskies this year besides me and gotmuskie?? What waters are you looking at fishing them for and what kind of lures or bait do you plan on using.

I will be going to Pinewood and Prospect Pond #3. I am not going to use bait for them. I will be throwing large spinnerbaits, spoons and Rapalas.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'll try for them again this year, but I'm not going to waste all my fishing time on them. Pinewood Lake and Lon Hagler Reservoir. I know where most of them are caught in Lon Hagler (northwest corner in shallower water) but I don't know where they hang out in Pinewood.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got my Larimer County Parks annual pass and have to get my money's worth. So I'll probably make plenty of trips to Pinewood with my muskie tackle. I've been trying for them a few times a year for about 5 years but haven't got one.

WE, Fisherman's Cove is a good place to start at Pinewood. Bring polarized glasses and plenty of patience because you're going to spot a lot more than you catch.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I will be trying for them this year as well. I've never caught one before. But maybe this will be the year. Maybe on a fly rod?

W.E. I have also heard that fishermans cove is the place at pinewood.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I plan on heading out somewhere and catching a nice one. Not sure when or where, I just know one of em is gonna be pulled in. ;D

·
Registered
879 Posts
I will be "trying" to set the hook on one. Like W.E. Not the only thing I will be trying for. Evergreen lake for quick trips and maybe Gross a couple of times.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I am going to try myself. They appear to be much much harder to catch than back home (Michigan), but it's all about the challenge of the catch. I am going to spend most of my time fishing Spinney and the Fork for trophy pike (sounds easy...lol). Patience, patience and patience is what it takes (and very big lures).

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I WILL!!!! catch a tiger this year... I think my best bets are south this year, will try Walsenburg a few times and of course good ole Pikeview pond when I have a few extra minutes here and there.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
ePiC said:
I WILL!!!! catch a tiger this year... I think my best bets are south this year, will try Walsenburg a few times and of course good ole Pikeview pond when I have a few extra minutes here and there.
the muskie venues have stated that they believe that the next state record musky will come out of horseshoe lake(walsenburg)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jamiehughes said:
ePiC said:
the muskie venues have stated that they believe that the next state record musky will come out of horseshoe lake(walsenburg)
Hopefully they are right! :p

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im not going out of my way but every time im trolling for trout at deweese im gona drag 1 of these 10" rainbow trout swimbaits to see if i can find a big'un

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I used to fish Quincy alot. I caught two small Tigers 28" and 25". There just isn't as many in there now that they quit stocking them. I have had a couple of huge fish follow my bait there, but i wasn't able to close the deal :mad: This year I will fish for Pike at Spinney and 11-Mile even more than usual.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MuskieManFC said:
scorpion_bsk said:
There are tigers in Watson and Wellington Res. also. Might go try there too.
where in watson do they hang out? and around what time of the year is best for em?
Haven't tried Watson yet so I'm not sure where they hang out there. I have to go try it sometime, see if I can find them. I didn't know there was Tigers in there when I fished Watson so I was fishing for smallies.

M

·
0 Posts
I will be trying Evergreen at ice off. They hang out in the shallows, but the lures spook them... I'm thinking of a big pike fly on heavy mono placed right in front of them...a little twitch, it could work.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There are a FEW in harvey gap and as I fish it for pike I would love to catch a tiger musky. It is the only place on the west slope with them. They'll just be an incidental catch. I plan on using buzzbaits and zoom superflukes for the pike (along with some other lures, but those are my ace and deuce presentations respectively), and those would by the type of things the muskies like. For big pike (and muskies, I assume) that you can see, something subtle like a big streamer, bucktail jig, and especially a zoom superfluke can work wonders. If you are searching, or if you cannot see some but know they are there, put on the buzzer and hang on!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
after watching my friend catch 2 muskies over 45 inches in less than an hour when he wasn't even trying to catch them, i finally gave up after chasing them for 2 years and hundreds and hundres of dollars spent, i quit. there are too many other lakes and types of fish out there to be chasin just one.. goodbye muskies.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts