Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifey is getting so tired of the smell of fumes from the 1990 Mercury 15 hp that she actually said, "Maybe you should get one of those new 4-strokes!" Time to strike before she changes her mind I'd say :)

I'd want long shaft, remote controls, alternator, perhaps remote tilt. This to mount beside the 1990 Mercury 150 that's still running great.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I think Tohatsu still makes most of the smaller HP engines - Merc & Nissan.

I have had a number of Honda's, and have been happy with them. Only trouble with anything other than a Merc is getting it serviced.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a 9.9 Merc Pro kicker now.

Had a Yamaha T8 on a previous boat.

Never needed to know how to tear apart and clean a carb, replace fuel pumps, etc. until I owned this Merc. :mad: :wacko:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wifey is getting so tired of the smell of fumes from the 1990 Mercury 15 hp that she actually said, "Maybe you should get one of those new 4-strokes!" Time to strike before she changes her mind I'd say :)

I'd want long shaft, remote controls, alternator, perhaps remote tilt. This to mount beside the 1990 Mercury 150 that's still running great.

Thanks,
George

I have had great luck with yamaha T 8 or T9.9 ( i have had both)

8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Walleyeseeker sent me a great recommendation to wait for the boat show in January.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Never needed to know how to tear apart and clean a carb, replace fuel pumps, etc. until I owned this Merc. :mad: :wacko:
The carb problems prolly have more to do with today's fuel than anything else.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Ethanol is hard on outboards-carbs, injectors, fuel lines, storage issues, etc.

When I'm in TX I can get non ethanol gas at the marinas-makes a real difference.

I know Honda makes some smaller outboards and I've always heard great things about them-very quiet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm not letting Merc off the hook by pointing the finger at the gas. How long has Ethanol at 10% been getting added to fuel? I bought the Yamaha in 2001 when i lived in Denver. I'm pretty sure it's first drop of gas had ethanol. Motor never missed a beat for the 10 years I used it.

The Merc is a 2009. Certainly Merc was aware of the use of ethanol in fuel at that time.

IMHO

·
Registered
6,542 Posts

I have the same one and really like it!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Was the yammy fuel injected or carb? I'm not sure but it seems more complaints regarding fuel probs come from those with carbs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Walleyeseeker sent me a great recommendation to wait for the boat show in January.
We run nothing but Merc 9.9 and 15 HP 4 strokes on our Achilles and Zodiac skiffs. Good motors.

Now is a good time to buy motors, the manufacturers are really trying to get rid of their non-current stock. Ask the dealer to contact their rep to see what is available. June is actually the best time, as the new model year always starts July 1.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For trolling I used to run a Merc 9.9 2 stroke. Now run a Tohatsu 4hp 4 stroke and an I-pilot. This is on a 17.5 v hull with a 115 4 stroke.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts