Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through a book and came across this little tip. Honestly I dont understand how it works, and obviously have never tried it.. To me seems like it would twist the line more??

Thoughts??

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Re: Tip for reduce line twist while using an inline spinner.

It works well. It off-sets the center of gravity, in effect creating a "keel" in the bait. The rotational torque of the
blade must now contend with this effect. All the "good ole boys" that fish for smallmouth in the south do this with their inline spinners.

There are also keel-weighted spinners that negate the necessity of this trick.

SS

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Tip for reduce line twist while using an inline spinner.

swimbait said:
It works well. It off-sets the center of gravity, in effect creating a "keel" in the bait. The rotational torque of the
blade must now contend with this effect. All the "good ole boys" that fish for smallmouth in the south do this with their inline spinners.

There are also keel-weighted spinners that negate the necessity of this trick.

SS
Awesome! Personally I think that is GREAT info!! Not that i fish in-line spinners that much.. but when i do I hate the line twist and am always hesitant to put on a swivel.

Def. gunna give this a try next time i'm throwing an in-line spinner!!

Thanks a lot Swimbait!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The bent shaft shown in the photo works pretty well. I have done that for several years, in fact for a while there I thought I had invented it. LOL

Some spinners, such as Blue Fox spinners, have too short of a shaft to make this work very well, but I found that the Mepps Aglia spinners are great with this technique. I generally attach the spinner by means of a snap swivel, which helps a little to reduce line twist, also.

You can still get some line twist if you retrieve or troll too fast. But there is no need to do that. A slower retrieve, just enough to keep the spinner blade turning over, will catch fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts