Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your feelings about tippet brands. I usually fish rio. But sportsmans has thier tippet for half the price and sportsmans floro is only $5. That is almost as much as a regular spool of rio. Any opinions on bargin tippet vs name brand?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I tend to be superstitious about my tippets...i fish Rio mostly, and also Umpqua for regular mono with my dries. Im sure most of the flourocarbon tippets are fairly close as far as quality--- ive never really fished any "bad" tippet...other than stuff that was old and brittle from too much sun or age.

the ones ive fished are....let me think...to name a few....

Scientific Angler
Cabela's
Frog Hair
Orvis (Flourocarbon...which i really liked)

Theres been others, but those are the main ones i remember that gave me no problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was looking at Frog Hair yesterday at Sportsman's and noticed the weight rating for this stuff is heavier than the Rio flourocarbon (which I'm currently using). The Frog Hair 6x was 3.6 pounds and the Rio was only 3.0. Frog Hair claims their stuff is stronger for a given size and hopefully this is true. Also the Frog Hair has a 'bundled' price where you can buy three spools for about $15 versus one spool for the $9-$12 regular individual cost. I think I might be buying some.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I fished scientific angler tippet for a really llong time then I got turned on to frog hair and I have never looked back.
See the difference between frog hair and any other tippet is that when frog hair strectches it only losses 10% of its strength as were most other tippet companies loss 50% when they stretch. You do the math is that big fish really worht lossing over cheap tippet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts