Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Riverbend Ponds this morning (Report Sec) and deeply hooked my first fish of the day. I clamp down the barb on all by hooks to help situations like this. It did not help. Is it better to just cut the line and let rust take care of the hook or to play with the hook and eventually get it out. Do bass still eat with a hook in its throat? I would have kept the fish but I dont think it was 15 inches or longer...didnt want to get a ticket. Just curious...

Pondfisher

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link!! I am a bit weary of reaching through the gills though. Next time I gut-hook a fish I might try that...thanks again.

Pondfisher

F

·
0 Posts
Ive had to reach into a bass's gills to remove a hook ....just get your hands wet first and be gentle .....If you do have to cut the line make sure you do it as close to the hook as possible ....Hooks can rust away and get digested but the monofilament line doest that stuff is around for the lond haul ..I caught a bass at the arsenal a few years back that had mono wrapped around it ..The fish kept getting bigger and the line wouldnt budge so it had a deep gash all the way around it from someone's line

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Pondfisher said:
Thanks for the link!! I am a bit weary of reaching through the gills though. Next time I gut-hook a fish I might try that...thanks again.

Pondfisher
them bass got big gills and when you flare the gill you get some room to work

not shure how well this would work for fish with smaller mouths?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I use3 types of hook removers based on the fishes size, for small gills I use a hook remover like this:

for small trout I use forceps and for larger trout and everything else I use something like this:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the small end for smaller fish the big end well for the bigger fish. with the line tight you slide that thing down the line till it goes over the hook then you push down and that should back the hook out and then the hook point is protected by the notchy groovesso you can pull the whole thing out. take a bit to get proficent i never could get them to work when the hook went reel deep you know when all you can see is the eye of the hook in the throat others may have had more luck

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Road kill is right, the line goes in the slit you slide it down to the hook and the hook sits in the heads and you keep the line tight and just pull it and the hook right out.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
then of course it might be easyer to cut the head off and remove the hook from the back but be warned this has a very high mortality rate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts