Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few tips for taking pictures.

1. Use a ruler with the largest numbers you can find.

2. Use numbers that standout (contrast) from the other colors of the ruler.

3. Take the photo directly above/infront of the fish, avoid taking pictures at angles.

4. Use a straight edges that extends from right angles on the ruler that clearly touch the head and tail of the fish.

5. Photograph the fish multiple times from different distances to increase your opportunity to get a clear picture.

6. Avoid shadows if possible. Using your flash will often remove shadows or at least soften them. Especially useful when taking pictures with the sun behind your subject.

7. Try to avoid dark (blue, green, black, purple) backgrounds that will hide the fish. Also avoid if possible overly bright backgrounds. Either can cause exposure problems and cause the fish to blend in with the background.

8. If no ruler is available and you use something at hand to illustrate size, include a clear picture of that object with a ruler in it for comparison.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
1. If taking pictures of people and fish take pictures with sun to your back.
2. Watch your shadows.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice tips. I think another tip would be to bring along other anglers that will take pictures for you. My fishing partners always seem to be mysteriously "busy" when I catch a fish. Lol...
Of course, another tip would be to catch a fish worth taking a photo of, dan. lol

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
1) If the fish is small be sure to have a copy of Photoshop installed
2) Make sure if your trying to lie about when you caught it be sure there are no leafs on the trees.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Mods; remove if you want, wasn't trying to hijack a serious post :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

·
Registered
153 Posts
catch one fish and you are set for life!!! heh heh... another tip, hold the fish out, it makes it look better, but not the full extent of your arms... it kinda looks tacky then... Just dont hold it close to your body

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've found that if I'm by myself, or others are mysteriously missing, I put the fish on the ground and put my foot right next to it and shoot the pic. It's fast and at least there is something that you can compare the fish to at a later date. My boots will always be the same size.
vc

·
Registered
153 Posts
I found the rod usually looks better... but whatever... I dont usually do that because it stresses the fish out much more. If no one is around when I catch a really nice fish... then I put it back really quickly, I dont want to get gravel and crap all over the fish. If you caught a big fish... then YOU know you caught a big fish, you dont have to 'prove' it... I do like pictures when there are people around, but I think the fish's life is much more important

·
Registered
664 Posts
Your rod is also a great measuring tool. I use mine to quickly measure a fish and release it. I can then go back later and measure where the fish came to on the rod.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I love the rod in the mouth picture.  After seeing it several times I told myself the next good fish I get Im gonna take one like that.  So when I got my near 20 pound striper this last week I knew this would be the pic, and what a great day for a photo it was.  My buddy had a great camera with him and it was an overcast/drizzly kinda day where we didnt have to worry about shadows or anything!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
andyrm66 said:
vc5150 said:
I've found that if I'm by myself, or others are mysteriously missing, I put the fish on the ground and put my foot right next to it and shoot the pic.  It's fast and at least there is something that you can compare the fish to at a later date.  My boots will always be the same size.
vc
Have you been reading my posts? ??? 8) :D ;)
http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1021.msg8793#msg8793

Dude, I measure the fish at about two inches on my screen, so that means that your shoes are like an inch and a half long!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I like the shoe measurement. I can use my daughters shoe and say it was mine. The fish will always look bigger.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
PescadoDiablo4 said:
I love the rod in the mouth picture. After seeing it several times I told myself the next good fish I get Im gonna take one like that. So when I got my near 20 pound striper this last week I knew this would be the pic, and what a great day for a photo it was. My buddy had a great camera with him and it was an overcast/drizzly kinda day where we didnt have to worry about shadows or anything!

Nice fish. Where was that?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have all of my rods marked with a white "ring" at 12" 16" and 20". When I shoot the picture I try to place the fish next to the rod for size. Even if you don't shoot a picture, it's easy just to slide the rod down to size the fish prior to release.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chief said:
I like the shoe measurement.  I can use my daughters shoe and say it was mine.  The fish will always look bigger. 
Even if I used my daughter's shoe I have 2 problems....one, she has big feet ...and two, I never seem to catch big fish :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts