Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to 11 mile canyon this weekend. Wondering what people have been using with success this time of year. Thanks in advance for the tips!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sz 26-28 midges both dries and emergers in the film have been knocking them out. Hoppers at dusk twitched will get some explosive takes

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tricos should still be hatching in the mornings. I was there a week ago and the trico spinner fall was incredible from 9 to 10. The dry fly action was off the hook.

RS2s and small PTs were working subsurface. A Griffiths Gnat would also be a good choice as well as a small parachute adams.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Rattlin rogue or a x rap
Prefer 3 trebles over two

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Big stickbaits for trout in moving water...AWESOME!!!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Going to 11 mile canyon this weekend. Wondering what people have been using with success this time of year. Thanks in advance for the tips!
A lot of these guys will tell you to go super small as you can see. But, I have had tons of success there with a very basic fly called the candy cane in sz 18. It's got a big white tungsten beadhead, a white body and red wire. Very simple yet extremely effective. I usually to do better with something around sz 18 than super small. I usually save the super small stuff for winter. I'll use it as a dropper in part of my hopper dropper setup. Still plenty of hoppers where I'm at so if it's warm, should be a lot there too. You should always have a variety of flies but definitely try the candy cane. I tie it with a relatively fat body and the fish love it. It's one of those flies that can pretty much be used anywhere with decent success. I've tried it all over and done well. My first spinney trout was on the sz18 candy cane. And my first blue river brown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts