Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm looking to take a trip out to colorado in mid August and am looking for opinions or suggestions on where to fish. I'll be driving, so anywhere in CO works.....but prefer to not go too far west if possible.

I'd like to get your opinions on the most beautiful colorado fishing spots(preferably close to large mountains and a good amount of greenery) and I'd like gold medal waters, but as long as there's some fish and great scenery it's fine by me! Also prefer something that doesn't require a lot of hiking but is still likely to be private.

I'm inexperienced in fly fishing, if that matters.

here are some images that most appeal to me....
http://www.coloradomountainfishing.com/images/side_photo_14.jpg
https://cdn-co.milespartnership.com/sites/default/master/files/CO_PhotoProject2007_0135.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/26/42/29/2642295c8d46dc1bdae010e5c1c2f95f.jpg
http://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/GUNNISON.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
485 Posts
While rattman's post may seem a bit terse it probably isn't far from the truth. You are not going to find many places that are "private" anymore in this state. If you can live with a few other fishermen sharing the same body of water then there are probably quite a few places as Pikester suggests in his post. If you want a body of water where you are the only one there then you are probably out of luck. I have fished here in Colorado for the last 13 years and I can't remember any lake or stream where I was the only person fishing.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Hike to a high lake at 12,000 ft or so during the week and you will find solitude and fish.

They will crush big dries-

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Hire a guide and do a raft float on the Colorado or the Arkansas.
This

A trip to 11 mile Canyon is fun and beautiful... not secluded and there will be plenty of people, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
This

A trip to 11 mile Canyon is fun and beautiful... not secluded and there will be plenty of people, but it's worth it.
He wants solitude not a bunch of pompous flailers fishing thru. Besides he's a newb. Heavily pressured tailwaters suck for newbs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would suggest the Arkansas around salida/mt princeton(hotsprings)/to leadville. There are roads into the NF that have ponds, freestones streams and the river. Lots of different options in that drainage. There is a little campground up chalk creek past mt princeton hot springs. Has a little pond that they stock with trout. Ghost town on up the road to check out, old mines etc. Good base camp area to day trip out of. Not as crowded as the I70. Scenic, lots of guided trips avail and good shops to get advice.

Some good descriptions of some opportunities here. http://www.arkanglers.com/

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
He wants solitude not a bunch of pompous flailers fishing thru. Besides he's a newb. Heavily pressured tailwaters suck for newbs.
What he wants doesn't exist...and if it did, no one would tell him! I figured giving him some pretty scenery and views would suffice

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I can't imagine you'd send him to that craphole- SMH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While rattman's post may seem a bit terse it probably isn't far from the truth. You are not going to find many places that are "private" anymore in this state. If you can live with a few other fishermen sharing the same body of water then there are probably quite a few places as Pikester suggests in his post. If you want a body of water where you are the only one there then you are probably out of luck. I have fished here in Colorado for the last 13 years and I can't remember any lake or stream where I was the only person fishing.
thanks for the reply
I guess I could deal with a few others if the fishing is good :). What spots would you recommend checking out?
I have fished in solitude the 2 times I've been to CO. Didn't catch but 1 fish total though, probably just fishing where no one wanted to lol. Still had a blast though.

With your location wanted and experience the South Platte Elevenmile Canyon would be your best bet. Here is a link to Colorado fishing atlas you can find it on and search around for different locations if you want! Good luck!!!
http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=FishingAtlas
Thanks for the reply, I've actually been there before thought...should have mentioned that :). The campground was a total zoo lol. I'll be sure to check out the link though.
You are about 50 years too late.
Well, doesn't hurt to dream :)
What if I scratch the "gold medal" waters or extend the hiking a bit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hike to a high lake at 12,000 ft or so during the week and you will find solitude and fish.

They will crush big dries-
thanks
Any good ones that don't require a long hike? Don't really want to do much hiking when it is still somewhat dark. How is the fishing midday?
I would suggest the Conejos down a bit from Platora Reservoir...or if you like freestone...the Piedra. Or check out Elk Creek.
Thanks for the reply. Pics looks wonderful, but drive may be pushing it. Will definitely give it some thought though.
Hire a guide and do a raft float on the Colorado or the Arkansas.
Don't know if I can fit it in the budget, but I'll look into it. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would suggest the Arkansas around salida/mt princeton(hotsprings)/to leadville. There are roads into the NF that have ponds, freestones streams and the river. Lots of different options in that drainage. There is a little campground up chalk creek past mt princeton hot springs. Has a little pond that they stock with trout. Ghost town on up the road to check out, old mines etc. Good base camp area to day trip out of. Not as crowded as the I70. Scenic, lots of guided trips avail and good shops to get advice.

Some good descriptions of some opportunities here. http://www.arkanglers.com/
Thanks, that looks doable and wouldn't mind boondocking a couple days in san isabel!

I went to estes park a few years ago and really like it...but that was late sept. Is it a lot more crowded in aug? Was considering going back to that area and fishing the big thompson, but if there will be a lot more people probably won't consider it for now.

·
Registered
841 Posts
hit Murray Lake. Pack a can of Dinty Moore. stay low, stay silent, stay long. You might even get a bite.

Jeez, first week of June...hasn't anyone been up there yet to check conditions?

·
Registered
592 Posts
This website has gone to heck. Even I used to post pics of the snowfields
They all ate Dinty Moore and died of food poisoning...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts