Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am tired of losing lures. I lost 2 lures last week and my friend managed to lose two of my lures for me. I looked around and found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331155075605
Sounds like a decent device at an unbeatable price. I could use a little bit of “brown neck” (my version of “red neck”) ingenuity to improve it a bit.

Then I needed some line. Found a deal for 100 meters of 100 lb line for a little less than $4.90, free shipping. The only problem: it was going to be shipped from China. Ain’t no way they gonna make money on that??? I’d like to try to put them in the red but I could potentially lose a dozen lures (or more) by the time it gets to me… :D I settled for a spool of 80lb Power pro. I could always use that for my tip ups. Other potential uses: (1) I become a lowly cat fisherman or (2) I become ambitious and take up bass fishing. :p

What do use to retrieve your lures?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
My dad bought a lure retriever probably 20 years ago that is similar in design. He LOVES to use it in the boat. I would say that we have around a 50% success rate with it overall. Works fairly well when the wind is calm and you can stay on top of the spot where the snag is, but is almost worthless when the wind is blowing.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad bought a lure retriever probably 20 years ago that is similar in design. He LOVES to use it in the boat. I would say that we have around a 50% success rate with it overall. Works fairly well when the wind is calm and you can stay on top of the spot where the snag is, but is almost worthless when the wind is blowing.
50%, huh? The guy selling these says it is a 95% success rate... But it doesn't surprise me. :D I'm willing to spend more on something that gets a higher success ration.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The one I have I think was called a Hound Dog It's been over 20 years since I used it though.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
OK, for shore fishermen, here goes. 80# PowerPro attached to RC boat. Other end has a clip/weight you attach to line with lure. Run RC boat straight out over and past lure.

Just a variable on Colonative and Tthepikester’s airborne attempts to retrieve Colonative’s lure!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think you would be best just using a telescoping lure retriever Linh. Mike snagged a telescoping lure retriever last fall and gave it to me and it works great.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
AO,

I just chalk up losing a few here and there as sacrifice to the fish gods in return for some good fishing. But the wife doesn't appreciate my sense of humor when I reorder 10 more of the $12 apiece lures I just bought a few weeks earlier.:eek:

Otherwise the only 100% way to get them all back is to invest in a wet-suit and flippers or not use lures from shore at all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
From shore I think you're basically screwed.
This is pretty true - unless you're a bass fisherman running 65# or 80# braid and you can pull in small trees!

I've found that if you've run your lure under a rock ledge or something similar, a lure retriever from shore isn't going to get your lure back unless it is beefy enough to snag the snag, and move the whole thing. I've done that a few times, but more often than not, you lose the lure (and sometimes the retriever as well). In my experience, lure retrievers work best if you can change the angle of pull - from shore you're pretty much stuck with the same angle that the lure got snagged on in the first place.

What might work for you though, are some of the "smart" split rings that will open up with a calibrated amount of steady pressure, like the ones offered by Ultimate Smartlink. In theory, if you snag one treble and then apply the right amount of pressure (you're split ring has to open before your line pops), the split ring will release and you get your lure back, minus a hook. Of course, if you snag a couple of trebles, then you might be out of luck (unless your line strength is 2x your split ring opening-tension). I haven't tried these myself though...

If you throw big swimbaits on the typical 25 - 30 lb mono or 65 - 80# braid, , steady pressure will often bend out the trebles, regardless of split ring type, so you can often get your lures back. That's a good thing when your swimbaits cost the same as filling up your truck.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
This is pretty true - unless you're a bass fisherman running 65# or 80# braid and you can pull in small trees!

I've found that if you've run your lure under a rock ledge or something similar, a lure retriever from shore isn't going to get your lure back unless it is beefy enough to snag the snag, and move the whole thing. I've done that a few times, but more often than not, you lose the lure (and sometimes the retriever as well). In my experience, lure retrievers work best if you can change the angle of pull - from shore you're pretty much stuck with the same angle that the lure got snagged on in the first place.

What might work for you though, are some of the "smart" split rings that will open up with a calibrated amount of steady pressure, like the ones offered by Ultimate Smartlink. In theory, if you snag one treble and then apply the right amount of pressure (you're split ring has to open before your line pops), the split ring will release and you get your lure back, minus a hook. Of course, if you snag a couple of trebles, then you might be out of luck (unless your line strength is 2x your split ring opening-tension). I haven't tried these myself though...

If you throw big swimbaits on the typical 25 - 30 lb mono or 65 - 80# braid, , steady pressure will often bend out the trebles, regardless of split ring type, so you can often get your lures back. That's a good thing when your swimbaits cost the same as filling up your truck.
Interesting, I haven't seen those before. Sounds like a pretty cool concept, you have any experience with them?

·
Registered
839 Posts
From shore I think you're basically screwed.
Bullshit. Just take off your clothes and go get your lures. I did that all the times at Big Mac not wanting to loose those expensive lures. Of course you have to take chance that one of those cat fish or walleyes might mistake your "one eye worm" for baits.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Bullshit. Just take off your clothes and go get your lures. I did that all the times at Big Mac not wanting to loose those expensive lures. Of course you have to take chance that one of those cat fish or walleyes might mistake your "one eye worm" for baits.
Man I did that in AK on the river after losing several rigs while King Salmon fishing, my brother tied a rope around me and I went swimming, pulled up a stump that looked like a christmas tree full of gear. My nephews spent all winter pulling gear off that thing and we never needed to buy any more spin and glows.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
True but only brown necks and FOBs do that. All of the fine middle class folks just write lures off as a "cost of doing business," or an "expense for leisure activity," or they just "chalk it up to ..." Us FOBs see lost lures as a fraction of an hourly wage, a fraction of our lives gone... I am tired of being a FOB. :D J/K, alright. :lol:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point! I was thinking the same thing. That is why I am going with the cheapest lure retriever to see how that goes first. I see no point in buying a $15-20 retriever if I have a pretty good chance of losing it...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man I did that in AK on the river after losing several rigs while King Salmon fishing, my brother tied a rope around me and I went swimming, pulled up a stump that looked like a christmas tree full of gear. My nephews spent all winter pulling gear off that thing and we never needed to buy any more spin and glows.
I too went swimming at lake mac last year for a swimbait, good thing it was 100 degrees out
You guys be alright in book! I don't care what anyone says about you. :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts