Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sucks when people are light happy.......

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I skunk all the time at night. No one ever said it was easy! There is a big difference between being careless with your headlamp and shining a spotlight on the water and in someone's eye's!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, then start working on your teaching skills, those might come in hand as a guide. Maybe a little friendly shout to them to turn off their lights so it helps with their fishing, and yours. I mean, sounds like they were right next to you blinding you with their spotlight. I'm sure guiding will bring in a good amout of idiots, you might as well work on your people skills.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
You two lovebirds... :hug:

·
Registered
385 Posts
We used to spotlight bedding smallies, but only to locate cuz they won't bite if the lights are on them.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
We used to spotlight bedding smallies, but only to locate cuz they won't bite if the lights are on them.
Exactly! I have spot lighted Eye's when no one was around for reference the next morning. They aren't going to bite after you blow them out! Last night I had no wind either unfortunately, so it was already tough! But tonight there is a front coming in:) Hopefully we will have decent chop?

·
Registered
568 Posts
i'm surprised people think spotlighting eyes, helps....
It may not help you actually hook a fish but it's like a fish finder it will let you know if fish are there and how close they are to shore. It's not uncommon for fish to hang in one area. A good technique to spot them let them rest come back later.
But def not cool to do when others are around or to spot people or to so so menacingly.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
So you're saying shining a bright light in the water right at the fish, will affect how they bite, interesting ::) They were probably "hot spotting" or trying to see what bait you were using.

A serious question from a vampire in training, is the red LED light just as bad?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Johnny, I have always heard that the red light doesn't affect walleyes. Therefore, I like to keep it on during moonless nights to check my lures for small weeds after each cast. Hopefully I am not wrong on that but it seems so insignificant compared to the blinding lights most people use that I think it is fine.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
It may not help you actually hook a fish but it's like a fish finder it will let you know if fish are there and how close they are to shore. It's not uncommon for fish to hang in one area. A good technique to spot them let them rest come back later.
But def not cool to do when others are around or to spot people or to so so menacingly.
You can find out all of that information without using a spot light... Do you have a lot of big fish caught using this technique?

The spot lights on the water is brutal... and definitely has a negative effect on the fishing. The place Neal is fishing is notorious for having very little area and lots of boneheads... I tend to agree with llamarod, talk to em.. nicely educate them.

Ducky, I think you are insane defending spot lighting eyes...

·
Registered
568 Posts
You can find out all of that information without using a spot light... Do you have a lot of big fish caught using this technique?

The spot lights on the water is brutal... and definitely has a negative effect on the fishing. The place Neal is fishing is notorious for having very little area and lots of boneheads... I tend to agree with llamarod, talk to em.. nicely educate them.

Ducky, I think you are insane defending spot lighting eyes...
I actually haven't caught one using this technique but I barely started spot lighting this spring season. Why? Because my friend has caught 3 10lb fish using the spotlight technique. But like I said it's def not okay to do it around other people or when there is a crowd.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Tell your friend to stop... figuring out spawning fish aint that hard. Don't be the douchebag out there flashing all the water. It's a nausiating habbit and I question the authenticity of your friend's claim.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Spot lighting fish that aren't spawning is a definite no..no. Spawning eyes..personally, I don't think it matters that much. They're in there for one reason only..the females are going to be in there for one night...maybe two to drop their eggs and then they're gone. The males are going to stick around for the entire spawn hoping to get laid over and over again. They aren't feeding. Just reaction bites and territorial bites. They are going to spawn no matter what you do. You basically aren't going to spook them. I've hit walleyes with light before where Neal fishes and they don't even move..and five minutes later, they're splashing and thrashing five feet to your right and ten feet to your left. I think the light issue is more of a human thing than a walleye thing during the spawn. Just my opinion.

As far as red light goes...walleyes see red better than any other color. What red is good for is keeping your night vision and not having to have your eyes re-adjust every time you tie on another lure.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Spot lighting fish that aren't spawning is a definite no..no. Spawning eyes..personally, I don't think it matters that much. They're in there for one reason only..the females are going to be in there for one night...maybe two to drop their eggs and then they're gone. The males are going to stick around for the entire spawn hoping to get laid over and over again. They aren't feeding. Just reaction bites and territorial bites. They are going to spawn no matter what you do. You basically aren't going to spook them. I've hit walleyes with light before where Neal fishes and they don't even move..and five minutes later, they're splashing and thrashing five feet to your right and ten feet to your left. I think the light issue is more of a human thing than a walleye thing during the spawn. Just my opinion.

As far as red light goes...walleyes see red better than any other color. What red is good for is keeping your night vision and not having to have your eyes re-adjust every time you tie on another lure.
Pretty much given up hope that people will be more careful with their headlamps. I agree that spawners are there for one thing but after they disappear to recover and become mostly nocturnal feeders again, lights are very harmful if you want to catch a big girl.

The thing I was most mad about was the spot light in the eye's!! What if you did that to someone navigating a boat in shallow water? I think they were just pissed that someone was already fishing where they were headed. Probably the same group that has left a ton of trash there the last two weeks!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, I think it's much more irritating being blinded by someone's light in the dark..I don't hit it there at night anymore...I'm not much into crowds when fishing.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Red light is a lower intensity setting on most headlamps (if not all) and red light gets filtered first (compared to other colors) through water. It does not carry as far or as deep into the water. However, I know from shining my red light on walleyes that I am reeling in that they can see it. I have also seen walleyes shallow that have reacted to the red light. But, I would still prefer to shine the red light vs the white light based on the factors in the first sentence above.

I am not convinced that spotlighting was the key to your friend's success, Ducky (I am aware he may read this at some point). Timing is probably the biggest factor. And, if you really believe him, he only caught two fish technically, because the last two catches were the same fish that he caught, released, then caught again 2 casts later! :D Ultimately, the problem with giving an advice about spotlighting walleyes is that there will inevitably be some inconsiderate aholes who will do it right in front of you. My light stays off unless it is necessary. Even then, it is the red light most of the time.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
:D Ultimately, the problem with giving an advice about spotlighting walleyes is that there will inevitably be some inconsiderate aholes who will do it right in front of you. My light stays off unless it is necessary. Even then, it is the red light most of the time.
I agree. Do whatever you want when fishing alone..keep the lights off when fishing around others..If nothing else..Just to be considerate. Or...if you want more space..just leave your light on and most people will move away from ya..

1 - 20 of 111 Posts