Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys feel that theres way too many carp at Jackson Res. Me and my fishing buddies went just last month up there because there were reports of wipers in the inlet. So I think it was a FRIDAY when we went and man .. nothing but dead carp. Do you guys feel that over population of another kind of fish effects all other species of the RES. Meaning if too many of one kind then there wont be as many of another kind. It'll also effect the growth and health of the species in the RES.

steve

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
With alot of fsh this may be the case but im not sure it stands true with Carp. I dont think Wiper and Carp compete for the same food. Im sure there are so many dead Carp due to the fact that alot of people agree with you that there are to many and catch and kill them.

I've said this time and time again and am starting to sound like a Carp homer but I dont see whats wrong with them? If your just fishing to fish and not to eat um than who cares. Their BIG And fight well.

IMO

-Jay the Carp Homer :)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Monkey,

You are right the wrong balance of any organism is an ecosystem can be detrimental.  But nature has a way of taking care of things.  If a population of any species gets out of hand nature responds by iether increasing the number of predators or in the the case of predators decreasing the amount of prey.  That is why there are boom and bust cycles for fishing hunting etc.  

Now in the case of carp they can very easily overpopulate an ecosystem and start to force other species out by out competing them.  Then nature also has ways to bring things back into balance. Overcrowding leads to disease and thinning the population.  

Sometimes nature is slow in bringing things back into balance and actions of humans can affect the the rebalance and species may be eliminated before a new balance can be established.  But maybe the new balance established by nature is the elimination of a species in a ecosystem where they are poorly adapted to survival.

Concerning the number of carp in Jackson.  I have not been there for two years. Then I noticed there were hundreds if not thousands of carp feeding on the surface every morning.  For my personal preference I believe there are more than enough carp there.  But they are a species that is well suited to tolerate the annual drawdowns and thrive in the warmer waters.  Perhaps nature also has been "thinking" there are too many carp in Jackson and took steps to reduce the excess populations.

Carp may also have a huge impact on the wiper numbers at Jackson.  Carp are prolific breeders and all of that young of the year in the late summer and early fall provide a great forage base for the wipers leading to good growth. (and tougher fishing!)

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts