Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reel says it holds 250yds of 8lb braid. So I bought a 300yd spool of PP 8lb. I just loaded the reel, and got all 300yds on it.

I know loading too loose causes problems. Is it possible to load it too tight?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
If you cast out and reel back in and it's not as tight it may be that you end up over filled on the spool.

I've done that one before.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking might happen.

Oh well. It's easier to cut some off than add it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Have you considered putting about 100 yds of some cheap "backing" on the spool, first... Then You can put 100 yds or so of the more expensive line on top... It saves a few $$'s over the year and You have fresh line leftover to boot...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've thought about it, but honestly. PP is cheap compared to fly lines. I can usually get 3 years out of PP. That's only $8.00 a year.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Different brands/types of line have varying diameters depending on Lb test. Who knows what brand/type of line they use when they determine the capacity. Maybe the line you are using is smaller in diameter than the line they used when determining capacity.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I think IFSHDOU2? means by "cheap backing" is cheap mono or something to that effect. I do that as well. Top 100 yrds of whatever you want. Eg. Seaguar fluoro is pretty expensive stuff so I back it with 8lb cheap mono. Use up the top 100', strip it back to the knot, and reline. Unless you are fishing monster fish, that backing will never see the light of day.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I think IFSHDOU2? means by "cheap backing" is cheap mono or something to that effect. I do that as well. Top 100 yrds of whatever you want. Eg. Seaguar fluoro is pretty expensive stuff so I back it with 8lb cheap mono. Use up the top 100', strip it back to the knot, and reline. Unless you are fishing monster fish, that backing will never see the light of day.
^^^ RIGHT !! I see so many Guys scrimping on LINE or using OLD stuff...
Its THE most important LINK other than a good knot...
use FRESH line....

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being a fly fisherman i'm used to turning lines around. That's what I do with the PP too. After a year or so, I turn around the whole line, and start over.

However, i'm also used to using backing too, so I should do it on spinning reels too.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Good thought, I do the same with my fly reels.
Never can tell when you will get a big one on..

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
When's this spinning rig going to be for sale?

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Are you saying it's "Wound too tight"? As in too "ANAL"?

Flailers should stay away from Spinning reels-

You might get hurt-

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I am absolutely enamored with Spiderwire white 50 lb invisibraid. If I spooled 300 yards of it on every rod, I would be flat broke. I use 12 lb mono as my backing (virtually same diameter) and spool 150-200 yards of my white braid on top of it to round out the spool. I can do 2 reels with one spool of braid... Saves a fortune and I have yet to see even the slightest glimpse of mono... Even catching giant carp who peel drag.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've only got one spinning rod/reel. I won't go broke putting line on it. :smile:

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you saying it's "Wound too tight"? As in too "ANAL"?

Flailers should stay away from Spinning reels-

You might get hurt-
I was using one before you were born.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If you wanna get paid, and you wanna get laid, then go fishing with braid. If you like your line frayed and decayed then the mono should've stayed....

:biggrin1:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts