Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my girlfriend fishing at Riverbend Ponds tonight after getting such good advice from everyone here on how to keep her interested and what do pan fish bite. I recieved a ton of suggestions and we ended up going with simple...bobber and worms. Well she had some great succes. After setting her wormed hook into the water, no casting at all, just setting it into the water, she caught a 15 inch smallmouth bass. Wow!
http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02730small5ke.jpg

She went on to catch almost 15 fish today, even that horrible wind tongiht. She caught two smallmouth, one even on a black jig, and one ugle carp and the rest were pan fish. She had a great time and I wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied and helped me figure out what to set up for her.

Thanks to everyone.

Lonny

T

·
0 Posts
That's great! Nice LM BASS!

Hope she keeps on fishing, because mine didn't.... :eek:

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Nice...im glad it worked out and she got into fish. ;) now im sure shes hooked...look out!

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
By the looks of that picture thats a largemouth bass!!!! nice fishing and its great to hear that you got your girl HOOKED on fishing! :) :) :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
k0diak is right about it being a largemouth bass but no matter cause its still a great fish and nice to see you got the lady out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
good for you. my wife is my best fishing buddy. i got her hooked the same way you did and she has been fishing every since. if you spend the time making it fun for them it will pay off in the end. she is also much more understanding of my passion for fishing and even though she is not as into it as i am she doesnt have any problems when i want to spend some money on new lures or a nice pole. i just got her a telescoping pack rod last night for the motorcycle so she can fish with me when we are puttering around on the bike. it was like i had given her a dosen roses. be sure to make special fishing trips just for her. one thing i love to do is take my wife out on the boat for a picknick dinner. swing by the deli and get some grub and a bottle of wine and have a nice romantic dinner on the water. of couse we always throw some poles out and if the bite is not hot there is still some good action. if your woman doesnt get into fishing its still good for her to understand it and accept it. a woman that is resentful of your hobby will make your life miserable. good luck and if you run across a pink tackle box let me know. my wifes birthday is comming up :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
thats great to take someone out , especially a girlfriend or wife and catch a lot of fish, thats how i got my wife hooked on walleye fishing. one trip 15 walleyes , your set

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am trying to get my wife into it as well, she has shown some interest and i am trying to think the best place and ways to get her to catch a lot of fish
If you could tell me the setup in detail i will gladly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If your fishing in town at the local lakes then wait a little while longer for the bite to really come on . the water temp is still a little to cold. When you can go out in the evening and it's still 75 to 80 outside , nice for them to enjoy just to be there, that's the time to go . Also anchor up in the no wake zone, south end of Chat. east side, 2nd buoy out , start there jigging a lead head with leech. Sunday night is always a good night , take a radio and you can listen to Ki Turner on the FOX , strickly blues , starts at 7pm . We nailed the walleye's there last year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Riverbend ponds is in Ft.Collins east on Prospect ave. At the moment there is a bunch of road construction so parking is a pain. I usually just park at the medical offices and walk over the bridge.

As for the fishing rig she used...and I eventually used also, it was a simple #8 Eagle Claw hook with a nightcrawler and a small bobber placed about 4 feet. I was surprised at how many times the fish took it. I had a complex Texas Rig set up and never got a bite on it all. Simple worms and a bobber.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Another way to help get your women in to fishing is to go out fishing with another couple. that way she has another woman to relate to. we take other couples out all the time on our boat and have a great time. i usually start them off trolling for trout cause its easy and a lot of fun. then i tell them how to cook them up and teach them how to clean a fish the easy way (this is usually for the men). you would be suprised how many people butcher a poor fish. i think it makes a big difference having another girl there so that it doesnt feel so much like a mans sport. i think you really need to put some planning into it though. if a woman gets skunked her first couple of times out she is going to get pretty discuraged especially if you catch fish. make it all about her and when she catches her first fish she will be hooked. try and make the first few trips short too if you can. taking her out to dinner after to celebrate is never a bad idea. if you get really excited about her catching a fish it will get her excited to. if you make her feel so then your woman will take a lot of pride in being a fisherwoman. just look at the smile on Lonny's woman. she looks pretty proud of that bass. good job Lonny and many happy years of fishing to ya.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a good luck getting my girlfriend into the sport as well. Last year we went to one of my favorite mountain lakes, but instead of fishing the lake near the campground we hiked half an hour to another nearby lake (I usually do this anyways when camping and not backpacking) to fish a less pressured lake. I strongly recomend this for those just gettiing into trout fishing. The fish are smaller but plentiful and they are eager to compete for your bait/lure/fly. We had a great time, and caught quite a few fish. Anyone interested can PM me for the exact location and setup we were using.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
another hot lake and small , Flatiron , west off of berthoud exit . caught 75 trout last time we went there , just a few weeks ago . power bait green and rainbow

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think I saw you when you were fishing...I would be the only other guy fishing in that wind(waders/windbreaker/sunglasses)!!!! Nice catch! The bite was a little slow in comparison to the day before but they are still biting.

I have been fishing that area this entire week all alone. That construction has really cut down the number of people hitting those ponds. Congrats on getting your significant other to come fishing with you. While my girlfriend does not hate fishing, she tells me she fished alot with her family in Michigan and has no interest now.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Your only problem now is whenever you go fishing you will have to provide the same level of fishing action. My wife loves fishing when she is catching fish. If it slows down for 30 min. she is ready to go home. It makes it difficult when I want to do a marathon day of fishing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts