Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My uncle has a farm pond here near Springfield, IL that I fish every summer with my grandparents. Some of you might remember a report I posted a couple years back of a big trout my grandfather caught when he came to visit me in CO. My grandfather passed away about six months ago. He taught me to fish and was basically my dad. Not only did he take care of me when no one else would but he was also a public educator for almost fifty years. Just an all-around solid guy. He loved the farm pond and always looked forward to fishing it. So, we are going to put his ashes in the pond and have a "celebration of life" ceremony. The ceremony is in a couple days so in the meantime, I took my little bro fishing for a coule hours. It's always a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice Whomp.
Sorry about grandpa but cool you will get to visit him in the summers.

And your lil bro's fish is almost as big as he is.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"celebration of life" ......that's what I like to hear. I feel like too many funerals are sad and depressing when in reality a lot of times the person lived a full and meaningful life...like it sounds your grandpa did. Those types of situations really should be celebrated, as long as the cause of death isn't too extreme or unexpected.

Nice pics, and enjoy your time in the midwest!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the positivity. Went back today for a little. Usually we bring minnows but for whatever reason we didn't this time so I stopped at Walmart and grabbed a pack of those "baby shad" in the airtight bag. I've always been hesitant to use that stuff. But, it did the job. Got some nice cats. Had one break the line on me. He felt nice. Got some bass on spinning and fly gear, too.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like the diversity and cleanliness of that water.
It's definitely a cool spot. I really wanna come back and fish it through the ice at some point. My uncle said every once in a while he goes out there and finds a couple guys sitting in a hut that aren't supposed to be there. Can't say I'm surprised.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mentioning the farm ponds in that area brings back a lot of good memories. So many ponds and so little time. Used to fish a lot of them further south, Casey, Ill area.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Private ponds can produce some big fish and I like the diversity you got there as well...... where exactly is it? ;) Sorry to hear of your loss....... some cool pics you got there mang....... hope all is well :)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like your grandfather was an honorable man.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Cool, I spent 9 months back in 2006 in Taylorville Il, just 20 miles south of springfield. Met alot of great people, the type that call lunch dinner, and dinner supper.......I take it you know what a horseshoe is? Those Damn things and fried blue gill made me gain some weight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts