Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to make a trip for toothy critters this Saturday. All of my friends are slaughtering fish out east, but I want to take advantage of an early ice out in the hills this year. Will be leaving from Thornton around 3:00 or 3:30 AM. Have a couple of spots in the hills in mind. I have caught pike before but I am no expert, so don't sign up thinking you are riding with someone who knows what the F he's doing... :biggrin1:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I will warn, Ice off pike can be TOUGH... not sure where you will be going... I would love to go but have to work... sigh.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Good luck
Would be fun, but as J said they aren't no walleye.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck
Would be fun, but as J said they aren't no walleye.
You two are prolly right, but lots of fish can be suckers right at ice off, even bass. I am talking, right at ice off. It's worth a shot and I am tired of walleyes for the season.

BTW, this is what I got last time I drove that far to chase pike by myself:

That scar would have been on my head if I didn't use my hand to protect my it. I'm kind of a wuss now when to comes to driving far by myself. :-[

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I just sent you some info... I agree with you on ice out... and if I wasn't working Sat, I would go with you quick. I got the jones bad right now.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sent you some info... I agree with you on ice out... and if I wasn't working Sat, I would go with you quick. I got the jones bad right now.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Good luck Linh...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Between my two boys and their soccer games my weekends are locked up for the next decade. Good luck! Might not be a numbers game but hopefully you stick a few pigs.
Didn't know you had two boys. I should spend more time with my kids. Then again, I was pretty much on my own as a kid and I turned out alright. I think... :madgrin:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm… No takers? I have this feeling that someone, somewhere is laughing because (1) they think I am out of my mind for trying to catch a pike this weekend or (2) they know I have the right idea but don’t want to share what they know… I wonder which one it is... I’m guessing more people fall into number 1, but me thinks people just don’t have the balls to do a "hardcore" pike trip, just like they don’t have the balls to fish in the cold/snow. :-* Why get out now when better opportunities are still to come? Well, I guess it’s a solo mission tomorrow. It’s a coin toss between two possible lakes. I’ll know where to go when I get up tomorrow. Or right before I get to the C-470 junction... I'll prolly get skunked but I'll give it a shot. :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
id volunteer to make sure you dont bleed out on the way home but im in woodland park. kind of not on the way to the hills. i have some monster pike baits id like to find an ice out sucker for as well... ice rods are put away but not ice suit...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id volunteer to make sure you dont bleed out on the way home but im in woodland park. kind of not on the way to the hills. i have some monster pike baits id like to find an ice out sucker for as well... ice rods are put away but not ice suit...
Yeah, that's out of my neck of the woods. Not too far from one of the lakes I have in mind but I don't go that route... Will let you know if I decide to make a detour. Thanks

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PS, it's more like this: I need someone to remind me to apply common sense and not take a curve on a dirt road at highway speeds... :biggrin1: I wasn't anywhere close to bleeding to death.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Hmmm… No takers? I have this feeling that someone, somewhere is laughing because (1) they think I am out of my mind for trying to catch a pike this weekend or (2) they know I have the right idea but don’t want to share what they know… I wonder which one it is... I’m guessing more people fall into number 1, but me thinks people just don’t have the balls to do a "hardcore" pike trip, just like they don’t have the balls to fish in the cold/snow. :-* Why get out now when better opportunities are still to come? Well, I guess it’s a solo mission tomorrow. It’s a coin toss between two possible lakes. I’ll know where to go when I get up tomorrow. Or right before I get to the C-470 junction... I'll prolly get skunked but I'll give it a shot. :lol:
Well, I don't have the balls.... Just got mine cut on :eek::eek:
So doubt I could even consider fishing until Sunday.
Also fall into #2 anyways, hard to fish with someone you never have before and give up all kinds of goods that took years to learn. I have never targeted ice off pike though.

Looking forward to hearing how you did.
GL 8)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I don't have the balls.... Just got mine cut on :eek::eek:
So doubt I could even consider fishing until Sunday.
Also fall into #2 anyways, hard to fish with someone you never have before and give up all kinds of goods that took years to learn. I have never targeted ice off pike though.

Looking forward to hearing how you did.
GL 8)
I guess you fall within both categories then. ;) All good. I like figuring out my own stuff. That's why I said in my initial post that I was not all that experienced. I can't see pike being any different than other species: location and time on the water is all that's really needed. I'll post a report. Unless I chicken out. Friends are having a party and poker game tonight. Kinda tempting right now... :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
PS, it's more like this: I need someone to remind me to apply common sense and not take a curve on a dirt road at highway speeds... :biggrin1: I wasn't anywhere close to bleeding to death.
haha i was just giving you crap. but what flying off clifffs sounds way worse than bleeding out.... cant really undo or fix that...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha i was just giving you crap. but what flying off clifffs sounds way worse than bleeding out.... cant really undo or fix that...
Well, actually I almost did fly off a cliff. "Luckily," I over corrected and ended up in a 5 ft ditch on the opposite side of the cliff. My SUV flipped over 2.25 times before it was stopped by the ditch, according to the cop. Yeah, those guys actually know what they are talkin' about! :D I wouldn't mind making the detour but I am leaning toward another lake that isn't your way at this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts