Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am know a pro at catching lakers I was wondering what were the top 10 lakes for lake trout. I ask for 10 because I know a lot of them are on the western slope and want some closer to home. For me #1 is Granby (because it's the only one I have caught them from)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
1. Granby
2. Blue Mesa
3. Grand
4. Shadow Mountain
5. Twin Lakes
6. Jefferson
7. Taylor Park
8. Willaims Fork

That is no paticular order, thats just all the lakes I know that will produce good amount of lakers if you can locate them and possibility of some bigger ones.

·
Registered
935 Posts
East slope mack lakes???  Chambers and horsetooth are the only mack lakes I can think of on the east slope, and of those two, Chambers is ice fishable, and has always produced satisifying catches for my wife and I.  Not sure if there are any Macks further south on the east slope.

Splake are also a possibility.  Parvin, Pinewood, Carter, Horsetooth, and I'm sure a couple of others have splake, but among these only Parvin is ice fishable.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Cheeseman and rampart have macs but you cant ice fish em.Joe wright has some.Skagway has some also.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cutt: I didn't know horsetooth had lakers. That is in my back yard. I'll keep it in mind come spring.

Slayer: I heard about the lakers they tossed in Joe Wright. Any idea where on the lake would be good for them?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I realized I forgot about several after being reminded by the other posts.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
1. Blue mesa. There are still some big fish to be had just not very many. There are a TON of medium size 15-24" fish. It's hard to get them above or below that. However, this past weekend I saw 7 caught around 10-12" and only saw 6 lakers 17-18". Maybe that is good or bad news, I'm not sure. Fish the upper part of the lake above the narrows for numbers of small-medium sized fish and fish sapenero and other areas like that for small numbers of a few big fish, and decent numbers of medium sized fish.
2. Twin lakes. With a slot limit still intact, this may be the best fishery to catch lakers between 10-20 pounds, however I have heard they have a problem getting above that weight because the lake is not very fertile.
3. Ruedi Reservoir. medium-sized mackinaw city. bunches of fish mostly 15-20". There are a few big ones left though. With the number of stocker bows they put in there they have a shot at getting large. Probably your best bet at a numbers laker lake besides turquoise.
4. Taylor Park Reservoir. Still a few big fish remaining, but once again not many. The lakers have great body condition in taylor though. Can either be dead or you can catch decent numbers. Mostly 15-20" lakers, but like I said the potential for big fish is there.
5. Turquoise. No potential for big fish, however there are more 15-18" lakers than I have seen anywhere. Any idea why the limit is only two?

those are the 5 I know the best.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Carter lake has them to I think. I snagged one well over 10lbs during the koke run. His belly looked like he had just eaten a chicken.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Was that this year at Carter Lake? When were the kokes running this year?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Next year, maybe I'll be willing to pay the parks fee and try for a Carter koke.

In any case, do we have over 20 lakes in the top ten, yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts