Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a guy fishing with a topwater frog today and landed a bass in front of me. I found my new goal for this summer. Any tips, tricks, or anything would be helpful. Message me if you want to keep it private.

Btw, I skunked today :(

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Typically the best time for topwater is during low light periods... Early, late, cloud cover, ect.

Just pick a type.. (Buzzbait, Popper, Stickbait, Frog, Rat, ect)

And get out there and throw it!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Zara spooks and rebel poppers in open water. Buzz baits along edges. Zoom toads rigged weedless with the large toad hooks that screw into the nose. Only throw these on top of weed mats, I don't get too many strikes in open water on frogs. Big bass can be had on plastic frogs when ripping them fast (reaction bite)

·
Registered
9 Posts
A hula popper is great at night/lowlight, get it to make a 'pluup' sound and wait. If you can, try to find a wooden one...they have a better sound.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Rapala original floater is my go to topwater, but frogs and buzzbaits are the most fun. Nothing better than cranking in a frog or buzzbait fast as **** only to have a bass explode on it>:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
The zara spook for open water areas, maybe a frog or snake that skims over pads. One trouble with the pads is you can cast and have it land okay but when you retrieve the lure moves a lot of stuff. You might want to think about bass Bugging with a fly rod as you can place a bug and pick it up on the back cast without moving a lot of weeds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For fishing line on slow-moving topwater lures like poppers, I've always been taught to avoid fluorocarbon line because it sinks--use mono or braid.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Find the thick nasty stuff, middle of the day, toss the frog, change up your retrive, hold on, and the hardest part, after they eat the frog count to two, reel down till you feel weight, amd swing for the fences.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
and the hardest part, after they eat the frog count to two, reel down till you feel weight, amd swing for the fences.
Definitely the hardest part!! Way to often I yank the frog out of the water the second I see a fish hit it sending the frog flying towards me which at that point I then duck and do a whole bunch of unnecessary **** only to realize the frog is in the tree above me :biggrin1:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I'll have to spend more money on lures
The good part is with top water you won't lose a lot of lures tho. When there's a lot of wind/waves I like to run a buzz bait. Especially right over and mud lines produced by the waves. A reel with high gear ratio helps with buzz baits so if you have more than one to choose from use your fastest. Normally frogs right in mats and heavy cover, it is usually recommended to tie right into the frog with heavy braid and using a heavy rod , you may bring in the bass with five pounds of weeds attached. I love zara spooks, if I could choose a lure to catch on it's a spook. As was said above mono or braid best bet for top water.

Also as was said above, and IMO the biggest thing about top water: do not react to what you see, but only what you feel. As you see fish blow up on your lure don't do anything til you feel the bite same as you would with any sub surface lure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like my ultralight rod/reel isn't going to cut it. Time for a new medium-light or medium setup.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Looks like my ultralight rod/reel isn't going to cut it. Time for a new medium-light or medium setup.
I would get a medium heavy rod for majority topwater, some lures like the rapala floaters can be fished on lighter tackle but when It comes to throwing frogs you want a lot of backbone on your pole incase you get in some gnarly weeds. I watched a guy snap his medium light pole last season trying to get a snag out, given he wasn't going at it the right way and was pulling to the side bending the pole to its max but either way he was using way to light of gear to fish where he was. The funniest part about that whole situation was even though his pole snapped his line didn't and he pulled his line with his hands and the lure came out effortlesly hahaha:biggrin1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts