Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I decided I'd hit the Ft. Carson pond, Townsend for the morning topwater bite. This time without losing the frog. I got there perceft timing fish were jumping frogs were croaking and the sun hadnt made it up yet. After about 50 or 60 casts I had one bass try to eat the frog but his mouth wasnt big enough to get it so it just grabbed a leg and let it go. I had some night crawlers with me so I used them on a floating jig head and caught about 30+ all between 8-12 inches I am thinking this pond does not hold large bass yet. I was having fun, they were hitting so hard I thought every single one of them was huge until a couple seconds after the strike. They were still fighting good, as I was using light tackle but not as exciting as the inital hits. Left around 9 am stopped by to say hi to my girl at work (colorado college), then decided since I was close to Pikeview I would see if I could get a musky as my dreams of big bass didnt work out. Pikeview's water level is hella low, I havent been there in a while and I was shocked. Threw out one rod with a worm and then started casting for that tiger... moved all the way around the lake 15-20 mins in each spot. Tossed all my spinners, kastmasters, rainbow rapallas, and a couple panther martins. Picked up the worm rod to reel it in and felt a nibble, figured well I'd let this stocker trout grab the worm and I wont get skunked. Then it hit again I set the hook reeled it in and it was a bluegill not even a stocker trout. Oh well. The gill was caught off the retaining wall by the spillway, I guess the water being so low has pushed them out of the rocks they usually hiding in.

I love hitting the lake at this time.

Most all the bass were around this size, I only took 3 or 4 pictures since most same size but this one turned out the best... Facing the wrong way sun messed up the photos.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kokaneeking said:
nice fish man, does that pikeview lake hold lots of muskie ?
I have seen 4 swimming the shallows, but I'm not forsure how many they stocked. I know a couple people I talked to kept some before the DOW posted the 36 inch signs... I talked to people and they were like I caught a pike here so and so day. I was like there are no pike in here that was a tiger musky. So some were taken out, because of the slow DOW (which is only a block away from the lake). One of the ones I seen was probably close to 40 inches... The only thing I saw today was carp well over 3 ft long and a bunch of them.

·
Registered
943 Posts
epic its nice to see you finally caught something bigger than your bait. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
afishman said:
epic its nice to see you finally caught something bigger than your bait. ;D
OH it hurts! :p

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
ePic-Those are great pictures. I fish Townsend or Haynes a couple of times a week. If you ever see a guy out there in a kayak-give me a shout.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kirbydog said:
ePic-Those are great pictures. I fish Townsend or Haynes a couple of times a week. If you ever see a guy out there in a kayak-give me a shout.
Yeah... the kid has started school so I am going to start going after I get off work every now and again when I am not super tired (I tried to go this morning but was very sleepy). Since I work at Evans I might as well drive around the corner and fish for a while.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice pic my neck hurts looking at that...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts