Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and got my on post fishing liscense today.  Took Cody down to Townsend Res. First time I ever fished it.  It was very windy blowing from the east, which made the entire lake in the wind no safe zones.  Started out with a yellow and blue spinner and tagged 1 small Largemouth.  Then that was it about 45 mins later my reel broke, as I was getting ready to head to the Jeep to get my spare Cody casted and the end of his rod few off snapping his line and losing the top of the rod.  So we decided no more fishing for today.
On the way out we swung by the only other guy fishing there to ask what types of fish were in the lake.  He rattled off a few Largemouth, smallmouth, trout, perch, ect.  He then got a small bite and then a big bite and landed about a 16 inch rainbow, nice and fat too on fireballs. He had just got there and that was his first fish so we wished him luck and off to the park we went to wait for baseball practice to start.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
EPic-Thats a largemouth you're holding. Ed

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not to sound ignorant, but what do you mean by "on post fishing license"

im betting by the hair cut your not in the military?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ed Marcol said:
EPic-Thats a largemouth you're holding. Ed

I was going to say the same thing. Doesn't look like a smallie. Unless when you said smallie you just ment a small fish?

-Jay

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jay_In_Parker said:
Ed Marcol said:
EPic-Thats a largemouth you're holding.  Ed

I was going to say the same thing. Doesn't look like a smallie. Unless when you said smallie you just ment a small fish?

-Jay
Well I meant smallmouth because it had no horizontal stripe and the jaw did not extend past the eye. Growing up this is how I told the difference... But I'll take your word for it since it had vertical stripes. I have caught Largmouths that have been many many different colors.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gotmuskie? said:
roadkill said:
im betting by the hair cut your not in the military?
;D Is that a mullet ePic? That is awesome!!!!
I use to be in the Army (82nd) but now I work for them. As long as you have a regular Colorado State Fishing Liscense you can by a Liscense to fish on post.

A mullet, haha I should get my hair cut and pimp a mullet. No my bangs are actually longer then the back of my hair but I pull it back when I wear a hat.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
EPic-Juvenile largemouth don't have the horizontal stripe-not until they get to be 9-10" . It gets more prominent the bigger they get-I'm guessing because the lateral line fully developes. Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Ed, learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i thought i looked like a LG but the mouth looked small and i thought that if the jaw stoped infront of the eye it was a SM?

thanks for the license info how much does it cost?

·
Registered
90 Posts
ePIC, you were in the 82nd?  Myself and another member on this board were on Bragg from 1995-2000 (35th Sig Bde (ABN)).  Small world!

Great report, BTW!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rottal was stationed at Bragg too. I was in 1/325 A.I.R. from 1994-1997.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
roadkill said:
i thought i looked like a LG but the mouth looked small and i thought that if the jaw stoped infront of the eye it was a SM?

thanks for the license info how much does it cost?
It's another 20$, the reserviors are cantaminated with mercury so you cant keep the bass, but you can keep the trout just don't eat alot of them once a month or something like that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ePiC said:
Rottal was stationed at Bragg too.  I was in 1/325 A.I.R. from 1994-1997.
I has some buddies in PLDC that were in the 1/325. Pretty squared away folks down on that end of Ardennes.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
ePic-Both Townsend and Haynes are good bass ponds and both have catfish. Last year a guy fishing at night caught a 30+ catfish out of Haynes-most likely a new state record. A guy from the Wildlife office on Ft. Carson confiorms it was HUGE but the guy who caught it never had it weighed on certified scales. Learn those ponds, your time will be rewarded. Townsend also has crappie. I wouldn't eat anything out of either except the trout. Ed

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ePiC said:
Rottal was stationed at Bragg too. I was in 1/325 A.I.R. from 1994-1997.
thats funny...i was in 2nd and 4th 325 A.I.R. off and on from 90-96...it was my first duty assignment. we must have been on some of the same brigade mass tactical jumps over Sicily DZ....

i bet this looks familiar to a few of you guys...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No its daytime, who gets to jump in the day. :p Out of my 102 jumps only about 10 or so were daytime, not counting the test jumping of the C-17, and my 2 chopper blasts were both daytime. Thats wild we were all there around same time.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks
i dont eat any of those contaminated fish im heavy enough dont need to add to the prb with "heavy metal" poisining

can you float tube or canoe there/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts