21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
IowaIce said:
no offense but i would have that thing shoved up my a**

wow I missed all the fun.

Iowa Ice we can shove that thing up your ass -no charge.  You gotta buy it first!

Maybe we'll find your brains in there!

No offense, of course-

·
P I K E
10,074 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
IowaIce said:
no offense but i would have that thing shoved up my a**

Iowa Ice we can shove that thing up your ass -no charge.  You gotta buy it first!
     Wow bud...Doctors charge big money to do this. I would at least give him a lil KY!  >:D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Slayer, how'd that unit work for you? Personally, they look pretty decent to me. I'm eyeing either an aqua vu SV or DT right now. They used to be priced from $449 to well over $600 in the the past few years. Now they are $279 to $299. They even have the fish camera with 12 spectral lights, temp, depth and directional displays.
I know they only have 4" screens and the new ones boast 5-7" screens. However, clarity, number of features and quality count as well. Most of the 5" screeens are really good, however, some of the 7" ones are distored so you get a big fuzzy picture. Then, the highest quality 7" screened units with all the whistles and bells go for $800-900. So, Slayers offering looks to be reasonable.
Don't those units have waterproof (sealed) monitors which is a big plus durability wise?. Also, you can get magnifiers that present the screen 10" wide for only $20-25 (how well do they work?).
Again, I'm not sure what exact model the one that you're selling (on my second look I see that it's an MC2X, they were $450 two years ago) is but I do know that Dave Genz considers the SV to be his old reliable which speaks volumes about how decent they are overall. As far as the other guy muttering something about shoving it up his ass, I think we may have some latent issues there, just kidding of course, ;D. BTW, the Brown Trout comment had me ROTFLMAO!
Well, thanks for any input that you would care to add, a few more specifics may help sell or trade your item. Happy New Years Everyone! Take care and best of luck.

·
Registered
16,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My wife got it for me Christmas several years ago and it did indeed cost $450. I've watched perch at Rifle Gap and Salmon at 11-mile. It works perfect. It would be nice to hear Iowa's reasoning for bad mouthing my "unit" without offering specifics. The only reason I want to trade is cause I feel a Vex would fit my style of ice fishing better. Don't know what else to say. If you want to view the fishies this Aqua-View works superb.

·
Registered
261 Posts
SLAYERFISH - I meant no disrespct towards you "THE LEGEND" seriously! Appreciate everyones kind words. I did get a chuckle how I got folks worked up over this and my SHEEP comment(must be a midwest thing). Brown trout? better than GREEN i guess! ;D

I've had the chance to play with a few underwater cameras both aqua view and marcum. Night/day difference IMO / The quality of camera that MarCum uses (Sony Low/Lux etc) compared to AV is the major key. And the color of bulbs inside the camera. I have the Cabelas brand camera that MarCum manufactures for them. I paid $120 for a 7" screen brand new at Cabelas. Underwater cameras are nice to have for the lite biters, bottom content, transistion areas etc. A flasher is definitely the first electronic to have when ice fishing. I won't fish without my Vex!

I guess I should have said that I would never trade my flasher for a underwater camera! Unless I had 2 flashers ;D and Im not a AV fan.

SLAYERFISH I don't even know you but think you are a great guy and enjoy your posts and knowledge about ice fishing. I can't believe you don't have a flasher and you catch fish like you do. But I suppose when you've been around as long as you have it just come natural! ;D
PM if you are looking to buy a MarCum flasher, I have a friend who is a MarCum rep in Minnesota and he can get them at cost. Good luck and see ya on the ice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
IowaIce,
Now that was an appropriate message, good to see! I hear what you're saying as far as preferring one brand over another and the various reasons behind your opinion.
That said, we could go back and forth all day on Vexilar vs. Marcum or Aqua Vu vs. Marcum or others, (I happen to be a Vex man personally but am not going to knock Marcum, I just like the features, performance and track record of Vexilar better that's all).
When it comes to underwater cameras, I used to prefer other brands as well. I bought a Vista Cam over an Aqua Vu over ten years ago when they both came out. At the time, Vista Cam had a sturdier design and a better quality camera (that's probably why Gary Roach endorsed them back then).
However, now, I want one that shows me more than just a picture (they all do that). And sometimes, bigger isn't better. Some of the larger screens are not very clear and have alot of distortion (screens 5" and smaller have much crisper displays, because they often times have as many lines of resolution as the larger screens). On the Aqua Vus you can buy a magnifyer or for units that have a video out jack, can hook them up to a larger display of your choosing for more than one angler to use at a time.
I think that the unit that Slayer is selling provides the water temp which is nice in the spring and Fall. On other Aqua Vu units, you can buy ones that provide the cameras depth and the direction that the camera is facing (both relative and actual compass heading). I don't know of any other units in the same price ranges that can say the same. Additionally, they have the reflex lighting which is superior to infrared when using in low light conditions (Cabelas do not have this feature).
For what you paid for the Cabela's Macum unit for around $120, you got a great deal. However, the camera doesn't blend in when say panfish fishing since it isn't camoflaged as a fish (like Aqua vu, not that that really matters all that much). Personally, I use cameras to find structure primarily and rarely to fish with (that's where the Vex or Marcum shine).
So, what I'm saying is that each one has a given purpose and they all work well to the extent that the individual angler wishes to use them. Matching the intentions of the angler with the features of any particular unit is the key.
I can see why Slayer got upset when you made derogatory comments about a unit that will work very well for someone who wants a quality camera at a fair price. Again, it was nice to see you explain your position in an articulate manner, rather than what you initially did. Here's to your doing the latter in the future.
For the record, I to am stunned that Slayer has been fishing blind (without a flasher). When he gets one, look out!
Take care all and best of luck!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
He doesn't fish without a flasher it is built into his alien sunglasses! This is why you never see him with out them! ;D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts