1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
If you are replacing the carpet you should replace the wood as well.

I would be a little worried about losing some of the "stick" that carpet creates. I usually remove the winch strap before I get my boat in the water because I know the friction from the carpet will keep the boat from sliding. I would never do that with a roller trailer, and this makes it sound like it could create those same worries.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing the bunks as a whole, everything from wood to screws.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Tony, Might look into a composite instead of wood-it will never rot or warp.

I used wood the last time I replaced mine and wish I'd spent the extra money for composite.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tony, How are you doing this? How are you lifting your boat off the trailer to work on the bunks? Curious, as I think it would be good information to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Tony, How are you doing this? How are you lifting your boat off the trailer to work on the bunks? Curious, as I think it would be good information to know. Thanks!
No you just spray the bottom of the boat and the new carpet with Pam cooking spray and you dont even have to take it off the trailer!...

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Quite a few options on how to do it. When I did. Mine, I did it during a weekend when I was camping at the lake. Left the boat on the water, and did it then.

I also know of people that have done it with floor jacks and jack stands, as well as block and tackle depending on the size of the boat.

Many boat dealers/mechanics have the ability to take the boat off the trailer and store it for you. I know that Best Marine in Wheat Ridge will do it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Not sure how easy that stuff is to work with but it looks like a nice product.
I would start with pressure treated wood, no matter what you cover it with.
Check out Overtons Trailer bunk glide on kit.

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tiny, I use a floor jack with a 4x4 with a V notched in it to match the bottom contour of the boat. I'm going to use composite this time with the kit I posted on over that. Lowes has a 3 pak of composite 2"x4"x6' for just over $50.00...should last forever!!! I'm going to do it in a couple months so I'll write up a DIY blog with pics and post it here!

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure how easy that stuff is to work with but it looks like a nice product.
I would start with pressure treated wood, no matter what you cover it with.
Check out Overtons Trailer bunk glide on kit.
Steve, I watched the video on this stuff and it wraps just like carpet then screw it into the bunk from the bottom side...looks easy and suppose to last a lot longer!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep used it on my Bass boat trailer. So far so good. I dropped my boat in the lake and beached it. I found a shady parking spot and went to work. It took me about 4 hours then I went fishing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Tiny, I use a floor jack with a 4x4 with a V notched in it to match the bottom contour of the boat. I'm going to use composite this time with the kit I posted on over that. Lowes has a 3 pak of composite 2"x4"x6' for just over $50.00...should last forever!!! I'm going to do it in a couple months so I'll write up a DIY blog with pics and post it here!
Just a thought on the use of composite material. Not sure what kind of boat, or weight you have sitting on these bunks, but composite material has a fraction of the rigidity, laying flat, than say a solid piece of lumber would have used as bunks. The best lumber you can use for bunks is cedar.

Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I always thought a Motivated fellow could make a buck doing this while your out fishing. Could do several in a day at Pueblo or other marinas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts