Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that a lot of people prefer narrow-beam transducers (9-10 degree) to wider-beam transducers for ice fishing. I understand that you would only tend to see fish closer to your bait, but it seems like the narrow beam would be most useful when fishing pretty deep (where it will detect fish within "range" of a deeply fished jig rather than fish over a wider range). In shallower water, it seems a wider beam would give you a better chance of seeing fish in "range" of your jig.

Here's roughly how the two angles compare:

At 10 feet deep:
10o = ~ 2 ft circle around your jig
20o = ~ 3.5 ft circle

At 20 feet:
10o = ~ 4 ft circle around your jig
20o = ~ 7 ft circle

At 30 feet:
10o = ~ 6 ft circle around your jig
20o = ~ 10.5 ft circle

At 40 feet:
10o = ~ 8 ft circle around your jig
20o = ~ 14 ft circle

etc...

So, what is really within "range" of your jig? The deeper the jig, the narrower the range, I would think, because the harder it is for fish to see the jig (maybe a glow jig would help?).

The shallower the jig, the wider the range, because there's more light, and easier for fish to see your jig from a greater distance.

Certainly, if you're jig is attracting fish up from the bottom in 20-30 feet of water (and on my last fishing trip I had fish coming up 10 or more feet to my jig from the bottom), the fish don't have to be right under your jig to see it, so a wider range is probably good, if you want to see the fish, and try to get it's attention with a big jigging motion.

I'm not as experienced with a fishfinder as many others here, so what does your experience tell you?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you are fishing deep water with a sloping bottom with a 19 degree transducer the edge of the cone will strike the side of the slope and that is what registers on your fish finder.
Your lure may be 5 or 6 feet futher below and you can not see it on your finder.
If you have a 9 degree transducer is still does that but the circumference of the 9 degree is smaller and therefore the cone angle does not hit so high up on the sloping bottom.
I have 2 with my vex,when I go to Granby where I will be fishing 35 + I will always take the 9 degree.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey cut...I know it's a little different but I have a selector on my Vexilar backwater. I can do 9 or 19 degrees. I use that one on my float tube. Unless your fishing some DEEP water, I have found that it makes no difference which I use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts